Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9CAP and Bad Solder Joints. Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 03:38 PM
zope_pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9CAP and Bad Solder Joints. Help please!

Hi everyone,
I am having an intermittent glitch with my DPM Ultimate. While in level flight the airplane drops the nose very suddenly and then I freak out, yell "Ive been hit" and land the airplane with no more glitches. I then range check, make sure no ones on my channel, run the engine and range check and I get better than perfect range. So I switched out the RX and i still get the glitch. It only happened maybe on my 7th flight. The first six were flawless. So I was thinking TX or Servo. I sent the 9CAP into futaba for warranty work and they sent it back saying there was bad solder joints, and that the radio checked out flawlessly. Could the bad solder joints cause a problem like this? I am very scared to fly as After this airplane i cant afford another one for a while. Help me out Electricity guys, I need some advice.
Old 08-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Maxime

Do you have another plane that you could use to test the radio??? Maybe a trainer or something you don't really care about...

Also check if there isn't something loose on your plane. I recently had a glitch problem... The muffler on my 46FX has a tendency to become loose, and I get glitches when this happens. Could be a loose clevise, something touching the Antenna, etc.... Check that out...

Also, does this always happen when you fly over the exact same spot at your field??? Where I fly at, there is a spot that when we fly over we often get glitches...

Hope this helps,
Old 08-30-2003, 05:15 PM
zope_pope

Thanks for the response. I am testing the radio gear out in a trainer this monday. The only thing i would be worried about if all goes well is that what if it is model specific. I think i need to mention that it does have pull pull cables. go to davepatrickmodels.com to see what kind of cables. I think they are metal coated with nylon, but could it be possible that the nylon came off and I would be getting some metal to metal contact? Also, it seems to happen at straight and level flight. Does it sound like the tx could be the one to blame?
Old 08-30-2003, 05:34 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Adam,
Its possible a solder joint issue could've caused your problem. Its also possible it is not TX related at all. The best i can suggest is to test and test and test it, and hopefully find that all is well now...
Old 08-30-2003, 05:53 PM
zope_pope

AmCross,
Thanks for the response, could you go over some testing I can do? Thanks again.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:06 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Adam,
Install it in an inexpensive, low risk model and do every ground test you can imagine. raise the model 3' off hte ground and range check antenna down. range check antenna up. fly the model in every possible sky position, looking for the same types of problems. if you can make nothing appear wrong in the trainer, then it is time to consider a higher end model, and again take your time,ground check in every possible way, then fly close and careful, then move forward, and so on. You might find a bad cable somewhere, or you might find that it was a poor solder joint was causing an intermittent connection.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:01 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

you didn't say, but I'm assuming, they repaired the bad solder joints?

Another test, although maybe not official, is while you are doing your testing, give the radio a nice thump or two. If there was a bad connection, this might bring it out.