Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

cut receiver ant.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 PM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cut receiver ant.

I have a 72 mg. receiver that the ant. got cut. I dont know what happened to the cut piece. What are my options for a repair?
thanks
Jeff
Old 04-02-2012, 06:17 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: cut receiver ant.

ORIGINAL: jjoos99

I have a 72 mg. receiver that the ant. got cut. I dont know what happened to the cut piece. What are my options for a repair?
thanks
Jeff
Just go to your LHS and buy a replacement antenna and solder to the Rx after removing the old antenna. I believe you can also use a 36" length of insulated wire the same type and guage. I have done this a number of times over the years.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:44 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jjoos99 I have a 72 mg. receiver that the ant. got cut. I dont know what happened to the cut piece. What are my options for a repair? thanks Jeff
As brand and model are not mentioned, DIY repair instructions and original replacements,
please refer to:

<dt>Receiver - Antenna - Original lengths for Hitec, Futaba, GWS, JR & Others

ex "Receiver - FAQ, Guides & Aids To Best Reception.." under
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T. </dt>
Old 04-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Zor
Banned

thanks
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

If the antenna was cut away from the PC board and thus has some length of wire still connected to the board, I would solder a wire to the end of that wire and avoid soldering to the PC board.

Make it so that the total length from the board to the end is 36" if using the higher channels numbers and 39" if using some of the lower channels.

The size of wire is not important. Obviously you would not use #16 or #14.
Use a wire the same size as original or the net bigger size and use flexible wire for routing the antenna.
Typical wire size #22 or #20.

Zor

Old 04-09-2012, 06:03 PM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks for the replies. This is a futaba and I do have about 6in still attached to the board. I will match up the wire to what I have.
Jeff
Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 PM
BuschBarber

Thanks for the replies. This is a futaba and I do have about 6in still attached to the board. I will match up the wire to what I have.
Jeff
Soldering the new antenna to the Rx board is the best solution. If you cannot do this yourself, I am sure you can find someone in your club or LHS to do it. It is not difficult. Patching the old antenna is a Field repair but not a long term solution.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:33 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Jeff
Soldering the new antenna to the Rx board is the best solution. If you cannot do this yourself, I am sure you can find someone in your club or LHS to do it. It is not difficult. Patching the old antenna is a Field repair but not a long term solution.
Hi BuschBarber,

Myself and no doubt many other readers versed in elctronics would appreciate your explanation why you state that ___
Patching the old antenna is a Field repair but not a long term solution.

Billions of billions of electrical connections are soldered as a permanent connection.

So why would you say "it is not a long term solution".

ThanksIFyou reply and explain.

Zor
Old 04-10-2012, 05:16 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Zor

Jeff
Hi BuschBarber,

Myself and no doubt many other readers versed in elctronics would appreciate your explanation why you state that _ _ _
Patching the old antenna is a Field repair but not a long term solution.

Billions of billions of electrical connections are soldered as a permanent connection.

So why would you say ''it is not a long term solution''.

Thanks IF you reply and explain.

Zor
You want the antenna to be flexible. The soldered joint is not and is more susceptible to breakage either from vibration or tugging on the antenna, especially if it is hanging out externally.

It is so easy to solder on a new antenna to the receiver.

Who know where else the broken antenna has been stressed and can't be detected under the insulation. I would not risk it for very long. It has always been the recommendation to replace a broken receiver antenna for the long term.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 AM
pilotpete2

+1,

Zor, "The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind"
Pete
Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The new wire is cheap. I had to replace two RX antennas and I cost me about $3. I put it on myself and they have worked great since.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

+2 A solder connection along the length of the antenna is a mechanical problem, not an electrical one. I have seen antennas fail at these solder connections before.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of the 72MHz receivers are designed to use a 39 to 42 inch long antenna, a couple inches either way makes little or no difference in performance. Any gage wire will work fine but, a stranded wire is preferred as it is less susceptible to failure from flexing or vibration. As long as the wire is strong enough to resist breakage from pulling and flex able enough to suit the application, there are few limitations to gage or type.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Zor
Banned

Hey guys,

I reprint here my original posting .
-
If the antenna was cut away from the PC board and thus has some length of wire still connected to the board, I would solder a wire to the end of that wire and avoid soldering to the PC board.

Make it so that the total length from the board to the end is 36" if using the higher channels numbers and 39" if using some of the lower channels.

Use a wire the same size as original or the net bigger size and use flexible wire for routing the antenna.

Zor

-

Between 36 to 39 inches versus as mentioned 39 to 42 inches and adding that a couple of inches either way does not make a difference is true. An antenna is a resonant circuit and the Q of an antenna in our applications is not very high.

If you do not know what is the Q of a resonant circuit, it is time to open a good book and learn something new.

Apparently someone saw a soldered antenna fall off.
Learning to do a normal well soldered joint (and any soldered joint is first made solid mechanically whenever possible like twisting two wires together before soldering) is not the end of the world.

Such a solder in this antenna would be less than 1/4 inch long and would not affect the flexibility of the antenna about 40 inches long. It can be covered with a tiny piece of shrink wrap or tape.

-

I had already suggested a gauge of wire and that it should be flexible.

If a fellow cannot solder two pieces of small wire together without them later falling apart at the soldered joint, that person should definitely not handle a soldering iron on a tiny printed board in the receiver.

To do any soldering on these tiny boards require some special soldering gear not usually found in the modeler's shop. It is a lot safer to do the soldering at the end of that 6 inch long wire which can be done easily with any soldering gear.

-

It has been said that this antenna had been cut; no doubt a mishap.
It twas not said that it had broken under tension.
In any case it is easy to check the reliability of that piece 6 inches long still connected at its place in the receiver.

I have no doubt that the owner of that receiver will use his good judgment to fix his antenna.
As was said, if really necessary to have someone else do the repair then it is an opportunity to learn how to do good soldering jobs. Nothing can be easier in soldering than soldering two small wires together and make a good solder that will never fail.

Zor

Old 04-10-2012, 12:03 PM
BuschBarber

Hey guys,

-

Make it so that the total length from the board to the end is 36'' if using the higher channels numbers and 39'' if using some of the lower channels.

Zor

-

Between 36 to 39 inches versus as mentioned 39 to 42 inches and adding that a couple of inches either way does not make a difference is true. An antenna is a resonant circuit and the Q of an antenna in our applications is not very high.

If you do not know what is the Q of a resonant circuit, it is time to open a good book and learn something new.

Learning to do a normal well soldered joint (and any soldered joint is first made solid mechanically whenever possible like twisting two wires together before soldering) is not the end of the world.

Such a solder in this antenna would be less than 1/4 inch long and would not affect the flexibility of the antenna about 40 inches long. It can be covered with a tiny piece of shrink wrap or tape.

-

If a fellow cannot solder two pieces of small wire together without them later falling apart at the soldered joint, that person should definitely not handle a soldering iron on a tiny printed board in the receiver.

To do any soldering on these tiny boards require some special soldering gear not usually found in the modeler's shop. It is a lot safer to do the soldering at the end of that 6 inch long wire which can be done easily with any soldering gear.

-

In any case it is easy to check the reliability of that piece 6 inches long still connected at its place in the receiver.

I have no doubt that the owner of that receiver will use his good judgment to fix his antenna.
As was said, if really necessary to have someone else do the repair then it is an opportunity to learn how to do good soldering jobs. Nothing can be easier in soldering than soldering two small wires together and make a good solder that will never fail.

Zor

The job is not difficult.
All it requires is a Pencil Soldering Iron. Anyone involved in RC should learn how to solder. It is a necessity. It is much better to solder directly to the PC board. The antenna is an important component and should not be compromised. As was mentioned, soldering the two wires together is weaker than soldering directly to the PC board. The wires on either side of the solder joint are susceptible to flexing and breaking. Solder the new antenna wire to the PC board and add RTV, if necessary, to minimize flexing.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:16 PM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey guys,

-

Make it so that the total length from the board to the end is 36'' if using the higher channels numbers and 39'' if using some of the lower channels.

Zor

-

-

-

Zor

The job is not difficult.
All it requires is a Pencil Soldering Iron. Anyone involved in RC should learn how to solder. It is a necessity. It is much better to solder directly to the PC board. The antenna is an important component and should not be compromised. As was mentioned, soldering the two wires together is weaker than soldering directly to the PC board. The wires on either side of the solder joint are susceptible to flexing and breaking. Solder the new antenna wire to the PC board and add RTV, if necessary, to minimize flexing.
x2, it does not require any special tools. Go to walmart or anywhere that has a pencil soldering iron and you will be fine. Just FYI about 3 or 4 inches was cut of my antenna and when I took off I lost control. I since resoldered a new JR antenna on mine and have not had a problem since.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Zor
Banned

Guys,

The job is not difficult. __if you have some experience soldering on tiny printed board like in these receivers.

All it requires is a Pencil Soldering Iron.__which costsabout half as much as a new receiver if you do nothave such an iron already.

Anyone involved in RC should learn how to solder.__unless your interest is only flying ARFs, RTFs, BNFs, Etc . . .

It is a necessity. __if you plan to do any electrical work in the hobby.

It is much better to solder directly to the PC board. __if you have experience soldering very delicate items.

The antenna is an important component and should not be compromised. __if yousolder the two wire ends by twisting them together a couple of turns, solder them and cover the joint with a small piece of shrink wrap or equivalent.

As was mentioned, soldering the two wires together is weaker than soldering directly to the PC board. __if you do not know how to solder properly which also mean then do not try to solder to the board.

The wires on either side of the solder joint are susceptible to flexing and breaking. __so make sure you cover the soldered wires with some shrink wrap or equivalent that extend over the wire insulation just beyond where the solder may have reached. .

Solder the new antenna wire to the PC board and add RTV, if necessary, to minimize flexing. __and if you do not know if RTV is necessary then duplicate what you see before unsoldering the wire piece left on the board.

It is really all very simple if you have the soldering gear and the experience.
If you do not have the proper tools and experience then have some qualified people do it or learn and practice on other junk but not on your valuable receiver.

Zor

Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 PM
BuschBarber

Guys,

The job is not difficult. _ _ if you have some experience soldering on tiny printed board like in these receivers.

All it requires is a Pencil Soldering Iron. _ _ which costs about half as much as a new receiver if you do not have such an iron already.

Anyone involved in RC should learn how to solder. _ _ unless your interest is only flying ARFs, RTFs, BNFs, Etc . . .

It is a necessity. _ _ if you plan to do any electrical work in the hobby.

It is much better to solder directly to the PC board. _ _ if you have experience soldering very delicate items.

The antenna is an important component and should not be compromised. _ _ if you solder the two wire ends by twisting them together a couple of turns, solder them and cover the joint with a small piece of shrink wrap or equivalent.

As was mentioned, soldering the two wires together is weaker than soldering directly to the PC board. _ _ if you do not know how to solder properly which also mean then do not try to solder to the board.

The wires on either side of the solder joint are susceptible to flexing and breaking. _ _ so make sure you cover the soldered wires with some shrink wrap or equivalent that extend over the wire insulation just beyond where the solder may have reached. .

Solder the new antenna wire to the PC board and add RTV, if necessary, to minimize flexing. _ _ and if you do not know if RTV is necessary then duplicate what you see before unsoldering the wire piece left on the board.

It is really all very simple if you have the soldering gear and the experience.
If you do not have the proper tools and experience then have some qualified people do it or learn and practice on other junk but not on your valuable receiver.

Zor

Anyone can learn to do this. Where I live, the guys in the LHS would be happy to do this or show you how to do this. There are always fellow club members who have done this before.

There is no good reason to splice a new antenna wire onto an old one except as a temporary Field Repair.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The problem with just soldering a new piece of wire onto the existing stub is .... solder wicking! No question the joint can be perfectly satisfactory with even minimal soldering skills but that little piece of shrink sleeve will not completely prevent flexing of the joint and potential failure. A wire by itself will probably withstand thousands of repeated flexes over its length before failure but that solder wicked wire at the joint may only take a few flexes before failure. Solder the wire inside and the problem no longer exists. Yes I have seen several wires fail at a solder joint.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: rowdog_14

x2, it does not require any special tools.

Go to walmart or anywhere that has a pencil soldering iron and you will be fine.

Just FYI about 3 or 4 inches was cut of my antenna and when I took off I lost control. I since resoldered a new JR antenna on mine and have not had a problem since.
rowdog_14,

Do you remember when some receivers were tuned for either the low half of the band or the high half of the band ?

If for example a fellow had a high half of the band receiver and switched Xtals to near thelow end of the band he would loose lots of range if the receiver was not re-tuned and the antenna lenghtened.

Then if another 3" or 4" antenna length was removed, regardless of the reason, the receiver sensitivity was considerably reduced and consequently the range.

I feel sad that you lost control and hope you did not have to scrap your modelor had too much repair work to do.

I would bet that you double check range since that occurred.

Zor

Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 PM
gene737

I wouldn't trust this job to anyone less than a person holding a PHD in astrophysics who has completed NASA's school on electronic soldering and doing this in a class 7 clean room.

Come on guys.......give it a rest. It is a piece of freakin' wire !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:07 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A word of caution. Do not use RTV that has that vinegary odor on anything electrical as it has acetic acid in it which will quickly and severely corrode any metals. They do make an RTV that is safe for electronics but it is quite expensive and not readily available. Just avoid that stuff you can get at most any hardware store for electrical work.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:24 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Rodney

A word of caution. Do not use RTV that has that vinegary odor on anything electrical as it has acetic acid in it which will quickly and severely corrode any metals. They do make an RTV that is safe for electronics but it is quite expensive and not readily available. Just avoid that stuff you can get at most any hardware store for electrical work.
I usually use Goop.

I remember back in the early 80's, I had a Byron F16. I mounted the fuel tank on hardwood rails with Silicon adhesive. The next day, all the metal pushrods were rusted.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Zor
Banned

Anyone can learn to do this. Where I live, the guys in the LHS would be happy to do this or show you how to do this. There are always fellow club members who have done this before.

There is no good reason to splice a new antenna wire onto an old one except as a temporary Field Repair.
I just love these posts BuschBarber.

Once the guys in the LHS have shown how to do it and not do any damagethen there is no need to do it. It is already done. I certainly would not trust anyone at the LHS here to attempt that.

Joining two wire ends together by a good solder job is a permanent solution avoiding the risk of messing up a tiny receiver PCBoard .

Come on ___get real .

Zor

Old 04-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: gene737

I wouldn't trust this job to anyone less than a person holding a PHD in astrophysics who has completed NASA's school on electronic soldering and doing this in a class 7 clean room.

Come on guys.......give it a rest. It is a piece of freakin' wire !!!!!!!!!!!!
Right ON gene737.

You have to realize that some fellows in this forum often enjoy contradicting others.
They often do these contradictions even if their opposite arguments do not make any good sense.

All kind of people in this world _________

Zor

Old 04-11-2012, 12:51 PM
BuschBarber

I just love these posts BuschBarber.

Once the guys in the LHS have shown how to do it and not do any damage then there is no need to do it. It is already done. I certainly would not trust anyone at the LHS here to attempt that.

Joining two wire ends together by a good solder job is a permanent solution avoiding the risk of messing up a tiny receiver PCBoard .

Come on _ _ _ get real .

Zor

Congratulations, Zor!!!

You have successfully Hijacked another thread to once again feed your ego. You are the most Despised Troll on RCU and yet you still persist in spreading your BS around the RC world.

You are one selfish individual!! Thanks for not using Red ink.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.