Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

New 6, 8, and 11 ch. JR radios announced - DMSS technology

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New 6, 8, and 11 ch. JR radios announced - DMSS technology

Old 04-15-2012, 02:40 PM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 6, 8, and 11 ch. JR radios announced - DMSS technology

ORIGINAL: mongo
yer beef is not with JR, they released the DMSS tech over a year ago. blame Horizon for deciding to continue with their own spektrum tech and refusing to import/sell the JR DMSS tech.
I'm not really sure what went on behind the scenes or who exactly to blame. What I am sure of is that I invested heavily in JR equipment and I'm not happy about how this has turned out. As a long-term customer I'm just expressing my discontent in constructive manner. As a consumer, I'll respond by sending my business elsewhere, which is unfortunate. However, the numbers that feel as I do will probably be small enough to be dismissed by the JR corporate machine.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:43 PM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

maybe someone can speek for Horizon Hobby. There must be some telling of a story here. And surely the sooner it comes out the better for them. And for them to be very open about it. Spin would really hurt them now that there has been so much depreciation of their credibilty. I also have lost. Investing in the Upgrade to DSMX, new recievers, sending in the TX thinking that some how those expensive satellites gave it an advantage. Again, plain simple answers soon.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I guess I don't understand why you think you need to change anything. You have a great product with your existing JR radio and DSMX receivers. They are not at all inferior to anything we are selling from JR now. There is nothing special about DMSS that makes it any better than DSMX - in fact, I'm a little biased in the other direction.

You still have fantastic JR quality, fantastic Horizon support for it, and a superb RF technology. If you wanted to change to DMSS I'm sure you'd have no problem selling your existing equipment so you could cross-grade. If you're worried about your DSMX system becoming obsolete, you really don't need to.

I don't understand why they can't upgrade the 11X to DMSS w/ telemetry the same way they offered an upgrade from DSM2.
DSM2 and DSMX use the same chip family. DSMX is built on top of DSM2. DMSS uses another brand of chip, one that is incompatible with DSM2/DSMX. The way the data is communicated to the chips is different. They are just too different at the lowest level.

Andy
Old 04-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Silent-AV8R

SO Andy, why not whip up a nifty module that can take a feed off the trainer port that will allow the new JR DMSS owner to keep flying their BnF and such?? BTW, I'm flying the new Great Planes micro EDF F-86 using a DX6i and the Tactic Any-Link module. Maybe someday in the new world order there will be but one Borg-like protocol, but as long as there are different companies with their own business goals there will be different means of achieving those goals.

Futairtronspek-Junior (JR) [&:]
Old 04-16-2012, 06:28 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

SO Andy, why not whip up a nifty module that can take a feed off the trainer port that will allow the new JR DMSS owner to keep flying their BnF and such?? BTW, I'm flying the new Great Planes micro EDF F-86 using a DX6i and the Tactic Any-Link module. Maybe someday in the new world order there will be but one Borg-like protocol, but as long as there are different companies with their own business goals there will be different means of achieving those goals.

It has always been this way with every company. Different Shifts, different connectors, Expo is + for one and - for another, polarity of the charge port on the Tx, etc. The very fact that you need to use the Anylink Module is because Futaba used a different implementation of Spread Spectrum for their Park Flyers. There is FHSS, FASST, FASTEST, and SLT. It appears only the high end Futabas will have some backward compatibility.

It has been enjoyable being able to use any JR/Spektrum receiver with any JR/Spektrum transmitter.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 PM
gsmarino2000

I've been using the 11X and DSMX for about 5 months now (replacing Futaba 72Mhz and Spectrum DX7) and I am happy with the JR/Spektrum combination. One of the main reasons that I went with JR instead of Futaba to begin wtih was the fact that in addtion to my larger planes, I enjoy buying new BNF planes and helis now and then. I'm happy with the signal integrity performance of DSMX, and the remote receivers are a very minor nuciance as far as I'm concerned. Only thing I may miss at some point is telemetry - especially battery voltage on electric heli's and EDF's - but I'll live without it for a while.

Greg
Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: gsmarino2000

I've been using the 11X and DSMX for about 5 months now (replacing Futaba 72Mhz and Spectrum DX7) and I am happy with the JR/Spektrum combination. One of the main reasons that I went with JR instead of Futaba to begin wtih was the fact that in addtion to my larger planes, I enjoy buying new BNF planes and helis now and then. I'm happy with the signal integrity performance of DSMX, and the remote receivers are a very minor nuciance as far as I'm concerned. Only thing I may miss at some point is telemetry - especially battery voltage on electric heli's and EDF's - but I'll live without it for a while.

Greg
You can have Telemetry with the STI module.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

The very fact that you need to use the Anylink Module is because Futaba used a different implementation of Spread Spectrum for their Park Flyers.
The micro EDF F-86 is not made or marketed by Futaba. It is a Great Planes product. So your statementt is factually incorrect.

There is FHSS, FASST, FASTEST, and SLT. It appears only the high end Futabas will have some backward compatibility.
The Tactic SLT is also NOT a Futaba product, so your point is again incorrect. It is true that Futaba has two main protocols, FASST (with the telemetry capable variant FASSTest), and S-FHSS. The 18MZ handles all three Futaba brand protocols and I would not be the least little bit surprised to see that trickle down the line in much the same maner that all radios from the 8FG on up are now actually 14-channel radios.

It has been enjoyable being able to use any JR/Spektrum receiver with any JR/Spektrum transmitter.
It appears that for the time being that will no longer be the case in the USA, at least for now. Who knows what the future may hold.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

SO Andy, why not whip up a nifty module that can take a feed off the trainer port? [&:]
Because spektrum wants to sell radios, not modules. There is more money in that.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:21 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

The very fact that you need to use the Anylink Module is because Futaba used a different implementation of Spread Spectrum for their Park Flyers.
The micro EDF F-86 is not made or marketed by Futaba. It is a Great Planes product. So your statementt is factually incorrect.

There is FHSS, FASST, FASTEST, and SLT. It appears only the high end Futabas will have some backward compatibility.
The Tactic SLT is also NOT a Futaba product, so your point is again incorrect. It is true that Futaba has two main protocols, FASST (with the telemetry capable variant FASSTest), and S-FHSS. The 18MZ handles all three Futaba brand protocols and I would not be the least little bit surprised to see that trickle down the line in much the same maner that all radios from the 8FG on up are now actually 14-channel radios.

It appears that for the time being that will no longer be the case in the USA, at least for now. Who knows what the future may hold.
Apparently I misunderstood the relationship between Futaba and Anylink, I know the aircraft are Great Planes. Sorry for the misleading statements. They were not intentional.

I don't want to bash Futaba. They offer some very competitive products. The point is that JR has chosen to adopt a newer version of Spread Spectrum, for what ever reason and Futaba has done essentially the same thing. Will all of Futaba's flavors eventually be compatible with one another, perhaps.

I am very happy with Spektrum's offerings. As long as they continue to innovate and provide quality products, I will stay with them. If in the future, I find that there is a compelling reason to use DMSS or any of JR's new radios, then I will consider buying another JR radio. I would be faced with the same decision if I wanted to change to Hitec, Airtronics, or any other radio manufacturer.

IF JR DMSS has been marketed overseas for the past year, there must have been some inkling that it would eventually show up in the US.

When I made the decision to try JR, I bought the 8103 and gave it a try. I flew both Futaba and JR. When the 9303 came out, I sold all my Futaba radios. When I moved to 2.4, I was able to do it gradually because of the Spektrum module. That was nice. If I wanted to move to the new JR, it would be the features of the radio and not DMSS that would be the compelling reason.

Spektrum and JR are now competitors. What is the big deal?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:03 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The hacker community has been doing it for a long time, Bill. They take our DM8 or DM9 modules and pick up the trainer signal and they're in business. Shoot, I do the same thing when I convert old Kraft radios into Spektrum.

It's a shame the F-86 looks like a hungry goldfish with that huge intake. I can't wait to start flying rings around folks with my MiG-15

Andy
Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 AM
littlera

I know DMSS has been around for a while (at least a year or two) in Europe and other world markets other than the USA.

What reputation has this system developed during its deployment to date? Is it bullet proof, a disaster, or something in between? Give us your experience with this system in your contry!!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:22 PM
slarty

Seems to be extremely reliable. Power measurements are a breeze from the technical POV. The only issue I have had a was when doing a Firmware Update for a customer. The card reader seemed to be intermittant and the system froze on me. Had to ship it back to Japan.

So in a year, all I have had is one single set fail on me and if I had thought about it, I could have prevented the conversion process from RC Transmitter to a "Brick".
Old 04-18-2012, 02:05 PM
littlera

slarty,

I noticed this week that JR sells their own branded SD cards. There was some indication in their literature (don't remember exactly where) that normal everyday SD cards may not work properly in the radios. I took this to be marketing hype to sell cards at what I am sure is an inflated price, but there may be some truth to their statement. I took it that JR does some type of formatting on their proprietary SD cards, although I am unaware that you have to do this with normal cards for cameras and similar devices.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:43 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: littlera

slarty,

I noticed this week that JR sells their own branded SD cards. There was some indication in their literature (don't remember exactly where) that normal everyday SD cards may not work properly in the radios. I took this to be marketing hype to sell cards at what I am sure is an inflated price, but there may be some truth to their statement. I took it that JR does some type of formatting on their proprietary SD cards, although I am unaware that you have to do this with normal cards for cameras and similar devices.

I don't remember which manufacturer's radio this applies to, but just yesterday I read about the need to put an SD card in a transmitter, turn the transmitter On, and the SD card would be formatted to work with that transmitter. The formatting was not compatible with a PC card reader and required a proprietary reader. I don't believe it was JR/Spektrum. The Futaba site talked about using only SDHC cards, but nothing about the formating.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:28 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

have the JR 11X with all DSMX Rx's. I dearly love this radio. I don't know why, but I have an itch to purchase the XG11. I have two questions:

1) Can I use the transfer function to load my 11X models in the XG11?

2) Does JR have any plans to come out with a DMSS power safe Rx's similar to the R1222X?