Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is a Hitec Optic 6 Radio a Good Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:25 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is a Hitec Optic 6 Radio a Good Choice?

I'm getting back into the hobby after 14 years absence. I had 2 Hitec Prism 7X transmitters W/Spectra modules, but 1 of them got destroyed by a thrown prop. It took out the display crystal & part of the case. Fortunately it was the more beat-up of the 2 that took the hit, the other has hardly any flight time on it. & is like new.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Hitec Optic 6, 2.4 Ghz TX W/2 Optima 7 Rxs. I wanted something that could be coupled to my Prizm 7X via the buddy cord I have to teach my son & grandaughter to fly. I have a 40 sized US Aircore Nighthawk for a knock about trainer & A 4X2 sailplane that will both use 72Mz Rxs as well as a 72mz Hitec PCM Rx that will be used in my Dynaflite PT-19.

Hitec has advised me that the antenae & Spectra Module from my Prism 7X will work W/the Optima 6.

I think that the Optima 6 will be a great step up while still being able to integrate W/my old equipment.

Can anyone give me some input on whether or not this system will be good choice for me?

Most of my aircraft will be IMAA legal scale or funscale type craft. No competition or super sophistcated equipment.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:55 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is a Hitec Optic 6 Radio a Good Choice?

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150 I'm getting back into the hobby after 14 years absence. I had 2 Hitec Prism 7X transmitters W/Spectra modules, but 1 of them got destroyed by a thrown prop. It took out the display crystal & part of the case. Fortunately it was the more beat-up of the 2 that took the hit, the other has hardly any flight time on it. & is like new. I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Hitec Optic 6, 2.4 Ghz TX W/2 Optima 7 Rxs. I wanted something that could be coupled to my Prizm 7X via the buddy cord I have to teach my son & grandaughter to fly. I have a 40 sized US Aircore Nighthawk for a knock about trainer & A 4X2 sailplane that will both use 72Mz Rxs as well as a 72mz Hitec PCM Rx that will be used in my Dynaflite PT-19. Hitec has advised me that the antenae & Spectra Module from my Prism 7X will work W/the Optima 6.
I think that the Optima 6 will be a great step up while still being able to integrate W/my old equipment.
Can anyone give me some input on whether or not this system will be good choice for me?
Most of my aircraft will be IMAA legal scale or funscale type craft. No competition or super sophistcated equipment.
The Optic 6 is considered to be, in its class,the most bang for the $.
Optic 6 is very easy to program and is very versatile beingable to accept earlier modules
andeven a Spektrum DM8 Futaba module should need arise.
Optic 6 can also be extended, DIY with by those with an electronic bent,to 7ch and 16 model memory
For further information, refer:
Hitec Optic 6 & Optic 6 Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, Comparison Charts, Updates & FAQ

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 04-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And, should you want to convert to 2.4 later, not only Spectra but FrSky modules will fit into your Optic 6 or Prism to convert to an exceptionally reliable 2.4GHz at considerably less money for receivers than Hitec, futaba, Spectrum or Airtronics.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its a fine radio system and what you should consider is to also later make one of the two rx and one module sales from towers to also continue using the remaining 7x.

I am currently using two Aurora nines three older Eclipse sevens and three Prism 7X, all now on 2.4.

In fact one of the Prism's I now operate strictly on 2.4 for controlline throttle use. Its worn backwards on my chest with two straps and I use my right hand to operate the throttle while the left hand operates the conventional handle. This has replaced my old over the controlline electronic throttle system.

John
Old 04-18-2012, 07:39 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Rodney

And, should you want to convert to 2.4 later, not only Spectra but FrSky modules will fit into your Optic 6 or Prism to convert to an exceptionally reliable 2.4GHz at considerably less money for receivers than Hitec, futaba, Spectrum or Airtronics.
ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Its a fine radio system and what you should consider is to also later make one of the two rx and one module sales from towers to also continue using the remaining 7x.

I am currently using two Aurora nines three older Eclipse sevens and three Prism 7X, all now on 2.4.

John

Yes I plan to eventually convert all of my Rx to 2.4 Gz. I had heard that the Prism 7X can be converted via a 2.4 Gz module. Right now, W/the 2 Optima7 2.4Gz Rx & my 3 existing 72Mz rx I can get all of my damaged & under construction planes in the air + the 2X4 sailplane that I just got plans for.

To be honest, the Prism 7X has the 7th channel for aileron diferential & I will miss that on the Optic 6 when I get a Sptirire W/flaps & retracts in the air. (my next build) I guess I'll just have to build the differential into the control linkage geometry.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:45 PM
rudder turns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guy, Also be aware that all of the hitec receivers come with Receiver battery telemetry,at No extra charge,no additional eqpt. About 10 members of my club have converted there our old 8U,and 9c futaba transmitters to Hitec, and never looked back, all work GREAT and very reasonable priced. At last count we have 75 hitec 2.4 receivers working at our field in assorted planes, on long Island, with NO problems Thanks Ed
Old 04-18-2012, 02:01 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: rudder turns

Hi Guy, Also be aware that all of the hitec receivers come with Receiver battery telemetry,at No extra charge,no additional eqpt. About 10 members of my club have converted there our old 8U,and 9c futaba transmitters to Hitec, and never looked back, all work GREAT and very reasonable priced. At last count we have 75 hitec 2.4 receivers working at our field in assorted planes, on long Island, with NO problems Thanks Ed

I have used Hitec from day one.

My 1st "trainer" was a 92" Sr Telemaster W/a Saito 150 for power. (hence my username) I purchsed a Hitec Prism 7x PCM radio W/Spectra. (that is the one that got destroyed) I wanted a set-up that I would not out grow.

That was in 1997 & the radio was pretty high tech for it's time. I selected the Hitec Prism 7X W/Spectra because of the features & the fact that it would be compatable W/Futaba buddy boxes. Unfortunately the PCM receiver precluded use W/the club's buddy box, but my choice of the Sr Telemaster was a good one. I was able to solo W/an instructor taking the plane "2 mistakes high"before handing me the Tx. I was soloed W/O crashing the plane.

Here we are 15 years later & the Prism 7X that I purchased a year after the 1st is still not obsolete W/the plug in updates available & I can even use the spectra module from the destroyed Prism 7X in the Optic 6.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:16 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Not ALL of them - the minima series don't include telemetry, but they sure are a nicely packaged little receiver. Very small for a full-range two antenna 6 channel receiver.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:04 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

Not ALL of them - the minima series don't include telemetry, but they sure are a nicely packaged little receiver. Very small for a full-range two antenna 6 channel receiver.

Anything that I would use a micro Rx (Minima) in would be small, probably a glider, so the investment would be limited. I'm OK W/not having telemetry in something like that.

I never had it before this, so I can live W/O it in a less expensive plane.

My LHS ordered me the Optic 6 Tx W/2X Optima 7 Rx package for the same price as the 2X Optima 6 combo, @ $199.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:18 AM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Don't forget to send in for your FREE Minima 6 RX to go with that!!!! http://www.hitecrcd.com/offers/fro2012.html

Mike.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:48 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

Don't forget to send in for your FREE Minima 6 RX to go with that!!!! http://www.hitecrcd.com/offers/fro2012.html

Mike.

Kewl! Thanks for the link.

Now I'll have enough radio Rx to put 6 planes in the air!
Old 04-28-2012, 03:12 AM
SrTelemaster150

I picked up my new Optic 6 yesterday. I haven't had time to do much W/it but I did plug in my spare 72Mz Sprectra module/antenae (bought way back in '98) & yes, it works just fine in the Optic 6.

I'll try the 2.4Gz module in my Prism 7X this morning to see if that works as well as the trainer cable that I bought to use W/my 2 Prism 7Xs way back in '98.

This radio is a great option for someone that still has viable 72Mz models. It makes for a seamless transition.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:53 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

I picked up my new Optic 6 yesterday. I haven't had time to do much W/it but I did plug in my spare 72Mz Sprectra module/antenae (bought way back in '98) & yes, it works just fine in the Optic 6.

I'll try the 2.4Gz module in my Prism 7X this morning to see if that works as well as the trainer cable that I bought to use W/my 2 Prism 7Xs way back in '98.

This radio is a great option for someone that still has viable 72Mz models. It makes for a seamless transition.

I did some more tests this morning. Read the results here. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11060047/tm.htm
Old 05-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

The Optic 6 is one of the finest radios that I've ever used. It really fits my smaller hands and is extremely user friendly especially programming. I had one on 72 MHZ and sold it. I wanted to buy a Hitec radio on 2.4 mhz at the time, but Hitec was still developing it. Therefore I bought a JR 9303 with a bunch of recievers that I am now stuck with. The JR radio is impossible to program intuitively. If I were starting from scratch today, I would go with Hitec. You won't go wrong.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I have Optic 6's and Aurora 9. Both radios will allow you the option to fly standard 72Mhz receivers (positive or negative shift - program selectable) with the Hitec 72Mhz synthesize (any 72 frequency) modules and also 2.4 if you buy the module for the Optic 6.

Hitec also makes a 2.4 Aurora 9 frequency module for the 9303 - I have one and it works well. If your planning to eventually go back to Hitec, you could buy the Aurora 2.4 module for the 9303 and start buying the Hitec 2.4 receivers to prepare for when you go back to Hitec. Here is a link with the part numbers.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11021438

Hope you find this useful.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne