Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo Shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 03:04 AM
eyeflyalot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Shutdown

Anybody out there give me some insight as to why my servos are not responding?

I have 4 JR 811 digital servos and a Futaba 9253 running off a 4.8 v/1400 Mah JR battery pack through a Futaba 138DP rx. I have a multimeter that I can measure output in Volts but not Mah as my meter only goes to 200Mah I believe.

The Volts check at the battery, the receiver pins for the servos on the rx, but I am getting no power to the servos that I can tell. I don't want to short out the servo by sticking the probes inside the servo and don't want to poke holes in the wires of the servo(unless I need to).

Is there something I am missing, or should I take them to a shop to be looked at? Unfortunatley I have no other radio equipment to try and test them.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Scott

P.S. Yes they were working the last flight
Old 09-01-2003, 09:31 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default Servo Shutdown

Scott,Triple check that the radio is set to PCM and not ppm. Sounds like your servos are in PCM lock.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:01 AM
eyeflyalot
My Feedback: (3)

Default Fixed!!!

I did just that and found the radio in PPM, not PCM. I recycled it and everyhtiing came back online. Guess I still don't completley understand, but we're back up and running. Appreciate the info....now I don't have to throw it away and start over.

Thanks very much,

Scott
Old 09-02-2003, 05:51 AM
Lynx

Default Servo Shutdown

Be VERY carefull when sticking multimeter leads into an RX. Even with small leads it's very very easy to accidentally slip and jam the lead inbetween the VCC and servo signal pins, and on most RX's you do this more than for just a micro second and you'll fry the output drive to that servo (the channel dies)
Old 09-02-2003, 03:02 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default Servo Shutdown

Scott,
Your receiver is PCM. your transmitter must be in PCM to talk to it. If it is not, the servos wil not respond at all, as the signal is not in its language. The job of PCM is to completely ignore any input that it gets that is not in its particular language, assuming it is garbage, and it holds the servos in a preset position until it hears good info again.

does this help?