Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

loosing signal

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 07:43 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: loosing signal

Go back to 72mhz use PCM only.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:59 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flycatch

I have had PCM for many years. It isn't now and never was any more resistant to Interference than PPM. It just introduced Failsafe. 2.4 is currently much more resistant to Interference.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 AM
fragile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's not forget the SPEKTRUM ad:

"DSM IS THE 2.4GHz TECHNOLOGY THAT'S HERE TO STAY AND THE ONE TO BEAT.'

What happened? Is this a fiasco or just a load of BS?
Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Handiman

So you are out away from most city type of interferences?

I would not think a telephone would cause you a problem. to many others have them near by when flying.
You fly almost every day and I would guess more than once per day.
So this is happening 1 out of 50 flights?
Do you see your plane making funny movements that you didn't ask it to do?
Do you see it not responding when you have put in small movements?
On your DX8 you can have it show you how many "Faults" and "Holds" occur during your flight. Keep an eye on those when you fly.
The manual tells you what is acceptable and unacceptable. You can have like 50 faults is normal with DSMX but not ok if you are in DSM2 mode.

Let us know what you find.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:37 AM
BuschBarber

[quote]ORIGINAL: fragile

Let's not forget the SPEKTRUM ad:

''DSM IS THE 2.4GHz TECHNOLOGY THAT'S HERE TO STAY AND THE ONE TO BEAT.'

What happened? Is this a fiasco or just a load of BS?
[/quote

I have been using Spectrum since DSM2 came out. First with my JR XP9303 and now with my DX8. It has been as reliable as any other manufacturer's radio. Never an issue.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:39 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I just want to add again there are many many threads about the DX8 and similar issues.  there are many threads about all radios and similar issue but the DX8 for its short lifetime has many more.

I had problems in my area.  1 out of 20 flights there was an issue with a  "hold".   3 of my jets came back so I made excuses for it, bad servos, brownouts, ok that was a glitch.  The final "glitch" caused a hold that sent my jet into some trees at WOT.  Sold the radio that night.

It is possible its your area, and my area, that the Dx8 has issues. 

I had lots of problems with it an dsm2 rx.  Try getting a DSMx Rx and see if that helps. 
Old 05-05-2012, 08:39 AM
dkcollord

when i did a range test on my new dx8, i noticed a second or more delay in the function i entered is this normal? without range check on no delay at all. my next door neighbor also has a dx8 and flies just as much if not more and has no problems.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:17 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Aree you and your neighbor flying the same type of stuff? There is a difference between some floaty trainers and park flyers and hihg powered stuff. I fly high powered EDF and had problems with Dx8 on several of them.

Of course no problems with park flyers.

Since swtiching to Futaba and back to dx6i not a single issue with same setups.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Handiman

I will check my DX8 in range check mode to see if there is any type of lag.

I was speaking of any issue while you were in the air.

If you notice my signature I had a number of good flights and then a crash. I was having a area that I noticed that I was inputing a movement but it didn't move and I was seeing a number of holds in that same area. A hold is where the signal was interrupted. The hold count would increase by 3-5 every time I flew in this 20 ft area. Not sure why but I haven't been back to that field since the crash. I have since joined a club.
I think my problem was that here in N Texas they are doing test for natural gas in the ground. I had flown at this school multiple times and I never saw this issue I had that day. The school that day had these receivers every 150 ft tied together with a large yellow cable and I was having a dead spot in this one area. Well I was doing some bombing runs on my 6th battery that day and I was 1/2 way through that battery. So I had 4 minutes of flying that day. Well I wasn't paying attention and did a dive and was close to the ground coming into that dead area and hit the ground. When I was flying flat and level it wasn't a big deal, but in a dive a different story. Now this isn't the radios fault I knew there was a issue in a area that I should of stayed away from. These radios are doing a lot of things. The technology is good but it isn't perfect in every area. We have to stay within the limits of the product.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only thing certain here is that the cell phone did NOT cause your radio system to fail. Unless someone or something has drastically altered either your phone or radio, it is technically impossible.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:41 AM
dkcollord

Yes we are, he has a 50 size hypreion yak and a 40 size aeroworks 260 along with parkflyers.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pulse Code Modulation is far superior than Pulse Position Modulation and I never said it was immune from interference. JR and Futaba spent alot of time and money in FM technology. Now comes along 2.4ghz tecnology and these same two companies are doing it all over again. Bottom line is you pay for what you get and the manufactures all sell; good, better and best equipment. Did you know that 2.4ghz is a shared frequency with commercial users. Manufactures choose this frequency to make there products cheaper and draw more people into the hobby. From the modelers perspective it allowed them not to worry about shared frequencies and now they could have a gaggle of airplanes aloft.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:02 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I have had PCM for many years. It isn't now and never was any more resistant to Interference than PPM. It just introduced Failsafe. 2.4 is currently much more resistant to Interference.
PCM is far more resistant to interference than PPM. With PCM the receiver must recognize a coded signal before it will respond while PPM will pick up any old spike that comes thru the receiver and glitch.
An interesting side effect is a PCM receiver can pick out the code down in the noise. This results in an increase in the receiver sensitivity of almost 3db. That is the same as doubling the transmitter power.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:18 PM
DESERT RATT
My Feedback: (7)

Cell phone's are one of the hundreds of things that do not operate on 2.4! They are on 1.7 GHZ. I have flown with a cell phone in my front left pocket (If I have a shirt on that has pockets) since the cell phone became small enough to carry in your pockets, if it rings I ignore it or have a friend answer it. Before that I carried a large bag with the cell phone in it. (the first cell phones)

Here's a good article that explains the 2.4 GHZ band and why they use it.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...xplainer/all/1

I'm still back in the days of the Crystal operation, I see no reason to change to 2.4. I like the Futaba radio I have now and it's always been very dependable. Send your Transmitter and Receiver/s to a company called "Radio South" They do a complete diagnostics on them and be sure they are tight in the band width they operate together on. Same goes for a crash. When I crash, that receiver is not used again until it sees Radio South.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Rotten40851

FUTABA!!!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 03:44 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dkcollord

can anyone help me, been flying for about a year now and have got quite good at it, but have one problem my planes keep loosing signal. and cant figure out why. first with my dx6i, now with my dx8, could my cell phone be the problem ? I usually have it close to me and now starting to think its the problem.
There is a Big Long Explanation but the simple answer is is that "SPECTRUM IS JUNK
Old 05-05-2012, 03:59 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Is there anything common between the planes- Are you sure you arent having power issues to the receivers? I think it is odd that two different transmitters would have issues with multiple receivers.. Something is going on..
Old 05-05-2012, 04:23 PM
BuschBarber

Pulse Code Modulation is far superior than Pulse Position Modulation and I never said it was immune from interference. JR and Futaba spent alot of time and money in FM technology. Now comes along 2.4ghz tecnology and these same two companies are doing it all over again. Bottom line is you pay for what you get and the manufactures all sell; good, better and best equipment. Did you know that 2.4ghz is a shared frequency with commercial users. Manufactures choose this frequency to make there products cheaper and draw more people into the hobby. From the modelers perspective it allowed them not to worry about shared frequencies and now they could have a gaggle of airplanes aloft.
I know you did not mean the PCM was totally immune to interference. Sorry if I made it sound that way.

My first RC radio was a Futaba 6ch back in 1978. I have had many Futaba transmitters since then up through the 9CAP. They were then and still are a fine brand. I had a couple of early Conquest PCM transmitters that were not switchable to PPM. My first computer radio was the T6XA. I had two of those. They came with PPM receivers and eventually some PCM receivers were released. My 7AUPS, 8AUPS, and 9CAP were all PPM/PCM switchable. Other than Failsafe, and the ability to use the 9th channel on the 9CAP, I never found much difference in the resistance to Interference offered by PCM. Many people have said that they would rather fight their model to the ground than have it Lock Out due to Failsafe. I remember attending a seminar, at the Toledo show, many years ago, when Don EdBerg said that there was no real difference between the PPM and PCM receivers that justified the extra expense. In theory, perhaps, PCM appears to be more resistant to Interference than FM (PPM), but I had just as many problems to resolve, in aircraft equipped with PCM receivers, as I did with aircraft equipped with PPM receivers. It was easier to spot the Glitching with PPM and more frustrating than having it lock out for a period of time, with PCM, but I truly believe that it wasn't noticeably better than PPM. There are many who line up on both sides on that issue. I can rely on what I have personally experienced.

Regarding 2.4, I have had very positive experiences with 2.4 radios as have many of the people in my RC club and many that I have trained at our flying field. When word came out about Brownouts, we made sure we had Rx batteries that had sufficient capacity to avoid a Brownout. Where possible, we used 6v Rx packs, and now many of us use LiPos with a good regulator, or LiFe. Anything on our aircraft that in the past had generated RF Noise and required special routing of Antennas, Shielded wire, etc., to avoid interference, suddenly became unnecessary with a 2.4 radio. It is still a good idea to follow the same practices we used in the past, but the bugs we used to have to spend time resolving, just disappeared with 2.4. We don't have to have a Frequency Pin, worry about someone accidentally turning on with the same channel, waiting at a model meet for the Pin because too many were on your channel. Impounding transmitters and having others grab yours by mistake. Not any more.

Every 2.4 RC radio manufacturer has had to deal with bugs associated with their products. They all work hard to resolve them in a timely manner. Some of these bugs aren't caught in Beta testing and don't pop up until after the product is released to the public.

If a product malfunctions and you don't get satisfaction, use another manufacturer's product. That will get the message across. As far as I am concerned, all the major brands and most of the lesser known brands are equally reliable. It is the look and feel and the features that initially make one product more attractive than another. Since the Rx's are proprietary, it can get expensive to switch from one brand to another. Many of us spent a great deal of time switching from 72Mhz to 2.4, replacing all the Rx's we had accumulated, with new 2.4 ones.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:20 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: essyou35

I just want to add again there are many many threads about the DX8 and similar issues. there are many threads about all radios and similar issue but the DX8 for its short lifetime has many more.

I had problems in my area. 1 out of 20 flights there was an issue with a ''hold''. 3 of my jets came back so I made excuses for it, bad servos, brownouts, ok that was a glitch. The final ''glitch'' caused a hold that sent my jet into some trees at WOT. Sold the radio that night.

It is possible its your area, and my area, that the Dx8 has issues.

I had lots of problems with it an dsm2 rx. Try getting a DSMx Rx and see if that helps.
It would appear that some areas of the country have more trouble with 2.4 than others. I guess we are fortunate in Upstate New York that we have not had any significant issues.

Regarding the DX8, I have been following and participating in all the Radio threads on RCU and RCG. Except for the main DX8 threads, I have not noticed more DX8 complaints than any other Spektrum radio.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:21 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rotten40851

FUTABA!!!!!
I'll second that solution!

It will solve your problems.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 PM
bigfoot3387
My Feedback: (48)

there is a possibility on the cell phone read the fcc ruls on any electronic device it says they can transmit and receive any sig and any interference wether its wanted or not ,witch means that any device out there that transmits a sig can disrupt another i have to radios here that if ternd on with or with out my wifi hot spot active will glich both my receiver on my car and cut my sig to my computer i will gladly show anyone this and also have a 2.4 camra that will also mess with computer and reciver all is 2.4 1 spectrum and 2 cheap 2.4 radios,no sell phones,router,or 2.4 cameras are allowed on when playing,and try this on my spectrum radio,if i tern on 1 car and then tern on another the same radio will work both at the same time if what i say is hard to bilive sorry but its true,or i would not have posted what has hapend im going to have to get some vids of this,i think im going to get some flack on this but,well see
Old 05-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Thisstrangeengine

Did you know that 2.4ghz is a shared frequency with commercial users. Manufactures choose this frequency to make there products cheaper and draw more people into the hobby. From the modelers perspective it allowed them not to worry about shared frequencies and now they could have a gaggle of airplanes aloft.
I recently picked up a wireless router for my home network which surprised me when I saw it would broadcast on 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz. Got me thinking if this would interfere with my Futaba stuff if I was test-running my engines in the back yard or doing a range check on a new plane before going to the field?
By the way I have NEVER had any more than a glitch on ANY of my Futaba equipment; EVER! I have an old AM Futaba Conquest (no longer used but still works great) and many other FM to 2.4Ghz systems and they are as reliable as they were since new. I just don't trust anything else... Just my input.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:50 AM
mike hundley

I have had problems with my DX-8 . Using the cheap orange rec. and went back to my D6 and haven't lost a signal in a year . Something with the DX-8 that spectrum need to look into. They owe me a couple of planes . LOTS OF LUCK

Old 05-06-2012, 02:04 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: mike hundley

I have had problems with my DX-8 . Using the cheap orange rec. and went back to my D6 and haven't lost a signal in a year . Something with the DX-8 that spectrum need to look into. They owe me a couple of planes . LOTS OF LUCK

Why in the world would hey owe U anything. They can't be responsible for some thing stupid like when U are useing cheep off brand receivers ... that's like tellong Ford they owe U for the accedent U caused because U put cheep aftermarket Brakes on your Ford ... Get Real
Old 05-06-2012, 03:06 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

ORIGINAL: mike hundley

Why in the world would they owe you anything. They can't be responsible for something stupid like when you are using cheap off brand receivers ... that's like telling Ford they owe you for the accedent you caused because you put cheap aftermarket brakes on your Ford ... Get Real
When it comes to these type threads, I usually don't read your nonsense but in this case, I have to agree with you. Not at all what I would have expected from you. Then again, you made up for it with your other post.

Congrats. You've come a long way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.