Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Think I fried my TX

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Ozzy37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I fried my TX

Had a battery pack made up by a local battery specialty store. Installed it in my Futaba 6V and when I turned it on, the batt meter on the front went down below zero and then I could smell burning electronics. I'm guessing that the store reversed the polarity on the leads. So what's the general consensus, Is my TX toast? If so I'm going to insist that the store not only replace batt but also my TX.

Oz
Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: Think I fried my TX

probably not.
should be a fuse or thermal switch in place to protect the rest of the radio.
however, if they are game to replace it, let em.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:22 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

Not all transmitters have protection against reversed battery polarity. If you smelled something burning,
there is some damage. Saying how much, or what it would cost to repair would only be a guess.
The repair place should accept the responsibility. Luck!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Ozzy37

UPDATE!

Went back to the store that made the battery pack for me and spoke to the General Manager. The store has admitted fault and he even showed me where they had reversed the polarity of the battery. They have agreed to replace my radio with a Futaba 6 EX FASST system. In addition, I need another tx batt pack I need built and the GM has assured me that he will build it himself to ensure it's done properly, at no charge. If they come through on this, I will mention they name of the store as you don't normally receive service like that in this day and time.

Oz
Old 06-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably fried a diode, but you'd have to return it to FUTABA for correction.

Glad the battery supplier did right by you. 
Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Ozzy37

UPDATE

The 6VA that I put the battery in did not have a fuse or any thermal protection according to Hobby Services. It could be either a diode or a capacitor.

The store in question that reversed the polarity on the battery is Batteries Plus. They have stores nationwide and they did make it right. They replaced my 6VA with a new 6 EX 2.4ghz. In addition they are building me a new tx pack for my Hitec TX at no charge. Everyone is always quick to point out when a company does them wrong, I just wanted to pass along the word that a company did right by me. If you need a new tx or rx pack, I would suggest using Batteries Plus.

V/R

Oz
Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to hear! Your right; so many slam someone or a vendor without even giving them the chance to fix the problem.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:36 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. Everyone makes a mistake once in a while. It is how they take care of people afterwards that differentiates a good company from a sketchy one.