Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Need assistance in opening up my Futaba 18MZ to replace springs

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need assistance in opening up my Futaba 18MZ to replace springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Plane Insane
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need assistance in opening up my Futaba 18MZ to replace springs

I've searched and searched and I have been unable to find any direct information on how to open up a Futaba 18MZ, or a 14MZ for that matter.
I need to replace the gimbal springs with a more heavy duty version. My 18 is the heli version and it is incredibly soft.. In the past that wouldn't have been a problem; however, I was involved in an accident earlier this year which has left my pointer, middle and thumbs on both hands without any sensation. Fortunately, I can still move then fully but not being able to feel has presented challenges I didn't previously have in flying. (Typing is a real PITA too!)
I've moved to using a tray and longer stick extensions but I am still having a much harder time with my 18MZ than my 12X and other JR radios with stiffer stick springs.
I've read that using non-Futaba springs can cause premature wear and stick failures but I really don't have any option and would rather pay to repair these parts than not being able to enjoy using my 18 at all.
I called the Futaba Service center about getting what I've read as a heavier duty OEM spring installed but the guy I spoke to said Futaba Japan is working on a solution but there was nothing available right now.

So, all that being said, I have a set of the Radio South heavy duty springs for the 18MZ sitting here that I want to install. Rather than tinkering with it blindly and possibly messing something up, I'd really appreciate some guidance from those who have already done this.
Removing the base plate / stand is no problem. Where do I go from there?

Thanks in advance!
David
Old 06-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need assistance in opening up my Futaba 18MZ to replace springs

ORIGINAL: Plane Insane

I've searched and searched and I have been unable to find any direct information on how to open up a Futaba 18MZ, or a 14MZ for that matter.
I need to replace the gimbal springs with a more heavy duty version. My 18 is the heli version and it is incredibly soft.. In the past that wouldn't have been a problem; however, I was involved in an accident earlier this year which has left my pointer, middle and thumbs on both hands without any sensation. Fortunately, I can still move then fully but not being able to feel has presented challenges I didn't previously have in flying. (Typing is a real PITA too!)
I've moved to using a tray and longer stick extensions but I am still having a much harder time with my 18MZ than my 12X and other JR radios with stiffer stick springs.
I've read that using non-Futaba springs can cause premature wear and stick failures but I really don't have any option and would rather pay to repair these parts than not being able to enjoy using my 18 at all.
I called the Futaba Service center about getting what I've read as a heavier duty OEM spring installed but the guy I spoke to said Futaba Japan is working on a solution but there was nothing available right now.

So, all that being said, I have a set of the Radio South heavy duty springs for the 18MZ sitting here that I want to install. Rather than tinkering with it blindly and possibly messing something up, I'd really appreciate some guidance from those who have already done this.
Removing the base plate / stand is no problem. Where do I go from there?

Thanks in advance!
David
David....I would call Tony at Radio South and make arrangements to sent him the transmitter along with the springs.
I wouldn't open it if not pretty familiar with it....if it is anything like the 9ZAP....it will have a lot of flat cables that require extra care.
It won't cost much to do it.
It's true though about the much increased tension causing problems.
The loops on each end of the spring is hooked around a plastic tang.
The springs will wear through the plastic and let go.
You will not have any centering then and might cause a crash.
I would definately install them but send the transmitter in for service after each season with a notice of the heavy duty springs and specific instructions to replace the plastic part(s) on each stick.
This almost happened to me on the 9ZAP before I was aware of this possibility....but they caught it...it's been trouble free for 18 years and they check it every time it in for a checkup.....about every 2 years.
You'll like the springs....they make a hellova improvement.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:23 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David

If you do a Google search for '14MZ spring replace' you will find several articles on how to do this. I believe the 18MZ and 14MZ gimbals are very similar. I have swapped my 14MZ springs a couple times and it isn't hard.

Woodie
Old 06-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Silent-AV8R

The heli radio comes with the lighter springs. The airplane version comes with heavier springs. You can order the heavier springs from Hobby Services (Futaba Service). Here is what Krysta at Futaba Service said about the springs:

Good Morning Bill,

They need to get the HD springs from us here in the Service Center, they are HSP79241 and of course they need to ask for 3 of them.

The FUTM3640 are for the 9C and the loops at the end of the spring where they attach are very large and will cause rubbing on parts in the stick which will eventually cause them stick parts to break. It is definitely NOT recommended they use those.

Have a good week, Krysta
The issue is that the tab holding the spring can break. If this happens the stick can jam or float free with no center feel. If this happens in the air it can be a real interesting flight!!

There is nothing attached to the back cover of the 18MZ like other radios have had. So no fear there.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:53 PM
k_caller
My Feedback: (1)

Just wondering, can you not simply adjust the spring tension? On my 14mz I can adjust the tension to almost where the sticks will not move... ok really. Stiff to move. Just a thought.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Plane Insane

ORIGINAL: woodie

David

If you do a Google search for '14MZ spring replace' you will find several articles on how to do this. I believe the 18MZ and 14MZ gimbals are very similar. I have swapped my 14MZ springs a couple times and it isn't hard.

Woodie
Hi Woodie,

Thanks for the info. I did a search and came up with a number of different results. Here is one of a blow-by-blow of taking apart the 14MZ:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1177845...65268310443570

The problem is, I'm not finding any of the screws up top that you have in the 14MZ.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Plane Insane

ORIGINAL: k_caller

Just wondering, can you not simply adjust the spring tension? On my 14mz I can adjust the tension to almost where the sticks will not move... ok really. Stiff to move. Just a thought.
I've already adjusted it as much as I'm able and it is still very soft. The heli version of the 18MZ comes with softer springs than the airplane version. I wish I could dial it down like you are able.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Plane Insane

Thanks a bunch to everyone who responded here. I guess without seeing how it is done on the 18MZ I'll probably just send it to Tony @ Radio South to have done. I'm definitely the type of guy that likes to open things up to see what's inside but I've got a little too much $$ in this TX to start prying on things to see what comes free. I'd still love to hear the exact details of taking it apart if anyone has done it before.

Have a great day!
David
Old 06-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Silent-AV8R

The 18MZ does not open the same as the 14MZ so nothing in that video applies.

You take off the base,.
Then take off the black plastic piece around the antenna and slide that off over the antenna.
Then take off the left side cover and open the side with the card/battery, etc.
You will see two TINY screws near the top of those openings. You will also see two screws under where the antenna shroud was and two screws that were exposed by taking the base off.
You do not need to take the switch plates off like the 14MZ, and there is nothing attached to the back piece of the 18MZ.

I still suggest you contact Hobby Service/Futaba to get the springs made for the 18MZ. The super heavy springs you have may damage your sticks, or worse, cause you to lock a stick up at a very bad time.

They need to get the HD springs from us here in the Service Center, they are HSP79241 and of course they need to ask for 3 of them.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Plane Insane

Thanks a bunch, Silent-AV8R.
I'd much rather have the Futaba service center handle it but when I called them about it they said there is nothing they can do at this time.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Plane Insane

Thanks a bunch, Silent-AV8R.
I'd much rather have the Futaba service center handle it but when I called them about it they said there is nothing they can do at this time.

Not sure what you mean by that. They can certainly install the stiffer springs that come on the airplane version. The heli version comes with very light springs.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:42 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are spring suppliers which can supply what you want but you must correctly specify the springs YOU have -
don't clip springs
measure the actual stick pull in grams - don't attempt to double it !
The old open gimble all aluminum sticks as use by Pro line wouldstand high loads but you are asking for trouble on this new stuff