Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Converting 72 to 36 Mhz - going to Australia

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Iddons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting 72 to 36 Mhz - going to Australia

Hi, does anyone know if it is economically feasible to convert US radios to the Australian bands ?
I understand that the more expensive radios have an RF module that can be changed to effect this, but I am loath to spend the money without some expert advice first

FWIW - I am currently iving in the US, have US radios, and am returning home to Auz in Dec.
Can I convert, or should I sell here and buy back home ?

Can anyone advise ?
Old 09-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Iddons

Default Converting 72 to 36 Mhz - going to Australia

punt
Old 09-11-2003, 02:34 PM
isvana

Default RE: Converting 72 to 36 Mhz - going to Australia

Bump (part 2).
I'm in the same boat but going to need to go to the UK @ 35MHz.
1. I am using JR today so at least positive shift is the same abroad (if meaningless)
2. I am looking for a new TX anyway, but would prefer it to be multi-zone via the use of user-swappable modules
3. Have only found 35MHz modules for Futaba eg 9C which are of course negative shift
4. New receivers are of course required anyway.

The search continues!
Old 09-11-2003, 10:55 PM
nascarfan88

You didn't hear this from me but years ago I was stationed in the UK and used my radio equipment there and nothing was ever said. Never had a problem. If I were going there permanent I think I'd reconsider and change over. Even so I wouldn't dump my stuff until I got there and found out what was happening.
ORIGINAL: isvana

Bump (part 2).
I'm in the same boat but going to need to go to the UK @ 35MHz.
1. I am using JR today so at least positive shift is the same abroad (if meaningless)
2. I am looking for a new TX anyway, but would prefer it to be multi-zone via the use of user-swappable modules
3. Have only found 35MHz modules for Futaba eg 9C which are of course negative shift
4. New receivers are of course required anyway.

The search continues!
Old 09-12-2003, 11:59 AM
BigWheelsRC

you can always post your old radio on ebay and get another... i found a couple of radios using 40mhz on ebay yesterday...
Old 09-13-2003, 11:12 PM
isvana

Thanks Nascarfan. The UK is heavily populated compared to other parts of the world, so I'll try and stay legal. Mind you, I also want to use the same radio on occasions in the US (and maybe elsewhere - I travel) so a modular system seems the best bet. Futaba seems the best bet for a new TX with widely available frequency modules; shame the 9C is -ve shift only in the US...
Old 09-14-2003, 05:28 PM
sigrun

Depends upon the radio.

A TX like the XP8103 (sold as the X-3810 in Oz) requires the module replaced with a 36MHz unit (NET-J36). A module will set you back around AUD$250 with crystal and mandatory bandwidth check. That's versus a TX only (unit+36MHz module+nicad) purchased new in Australia (with warranty) which costs around AUD$600- You do the sums.

Something older or without removable module, ....forget it!

Illegality notwithstanding, you will not get away with using your Tx on a US frequency at any club flying site in Australia.

If it was me, I'd sell in the US and repurchase new in Oz even if it incurred a small pecuniary disadvantage. Aussies look at the US and lust after US market pricing. But after conversion to 36MHz any savings are really miniscule and have to be weighed up against the inconvenience, persona non grata support and warranty issues. Given the relativity of outlay incurred in being involved in the hobby overall, you'd really have to be a descendent of Silas Marner to consider such an exercise worthwhile.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:13 PM
Mac_Man_UK

Isvana,

If you are coming to the UK with a JR radio, let me know which one you have. If we have a spare board for that model, MacGregors can do it rather cheaply if you don't mind having a refurbished board.