RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

customizable 2 & 4 channel transmitters

Old 07-03-2012, 04:31 AM
tivid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default customizable 2 & 4 channel transmitters

Hey everybody! I am brand new to this forum, but I figured this would be a good place for me to get some info on a project I've been trying to get off the ground (pun intended)

Iam designing and building a cable cam, similiar to something like what is used in the NFLwhen they move the camera downfield with the players. There system is, I'm sure, something like $100k. What I'm trying to limit myself to is a few hundred dollars. Before I really get started, Ineed a transmitter reciever combo that will meet my requirements. Basically Ineed2 variable throttle controls eachwith a way to keep it at a constant throttle without having to hold it. One is forrunning side to side on the cable, and the other will be a small motor driven gear that mesh's with a much larger gear which the camera would be mounted to, to allow me to pan the camera back and forth with a full 360 degree range of motion. My only other requirement is that the range be at least 300 ft.

As a secondary question, Ive read about hooking up the transmitter/receiver to the computer to change settings etc.. I'm curious how extensive this is. I'm familiar with programming. Is there a way Icould really change stuff so when the controller goes from 0 to 100% throttle immeadiatley, it could ease into that acceleration over the span of a few seconds or so?

I'd really appreciate any knowledge / transmitter recommendations you could share.
Thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 AM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: customizable 2 & 4 channel transmitters

Might want to talk with these people.....
http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/index.php
Old 07-13-2012, 08:20 AM
tivid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just thought I'd give an update in case someone searches for something like this in the future:

After a few trips to my local hobby store and a LOTof browsing online Idecided to go with a flysky ct-6b transmitter / reciever combo. It is 6 channels, which will allow me to add more servos later if i want (zoom, tilt, focus, etc..) and the range is supposedly over a mile. The transmitter/reciever package was around $40 shipped

I built a framework out of steel, used shower door rollers for bearings, and made an adjustablespring loaded aluminum arm to press the motor gear against the cable. Iwent with a Titan 550 21-turn brushed motor, a traxxas xl-5 esc, and a 8.4v Ni-Mh battery pack.

Right now Iam sorting out some traction issues (basically trying to figure out what type of rope/cable is best, along with whether to use a gear or a rubber wheel to grip the cable) but the motor seems plenty powerful without overloading / overheating any of the components.

Heres a crappy cell pic of it with just the motor:

When its all done ill be sure to post up a video!
Old 07-14-2012, 09:34 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your problem will be basically the same as controlling a camera from a helicopter. However with a helicopter you can aim the camera with the helicopter controls. In your case you will need a stabilized platform and a means to steer the camera using the stabilized platform as a reference. You will also need telemetry to tell you what the camera is looking at.
There is a reason such cameras cost 100K.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:53 PM
tivid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

another update:

im using rubber coated 3/16'' cabling and it seems to work well.
[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1IKY...eature=mh_lolz[/youtube]
Old 07-24-2012, 02:24 PM
tivid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

another update... even though this may never be seen by anyone but me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOEJ8uZK-MU&feature=plcp
Old 07-24-2012, 03:35 PM
slarty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quite a smooth video run