RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2 aileron servos and 2 flaps servos work

Old 07-04-2012, 07:14 PM
jcvt
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 2 aileron servos and 2 flaps servos work

AIRTRONICS RDS8000

I am using C mixes to make 2 aileron servos and 2 flaps servos work, however I must have the AUX Switches set to UP to have this work.
I am concerned that if I touch the switches by mistake the result could be catastrophic.
How the sd-10 would handle this situation, what about 8J OR 8FG_?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 PM
BuschBarber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 2 aileron servos and 2 flaps servos work

ORIGINAL: jcvt

AIRTRONICS RDS8000

I am using C mixes to make 2 aileron servos and 2 flaps servos work, however I must have the AUX Switches set to UP to have this work.
I am concerned that if I touch the switches by mistake the result could be catastrophic.
How the sd-10 would handle this situation, what about 8J OR 8FG_?

Thanks
With my DX8, I would just choose a Wing Type of Dual Ailerons and Dual Flaps. The DX8 picks the channels for you and indicates, on the Monitor Screen, which channels to connect the servos to. The Flap System can be configured for the Activation Switch, the degree of Deflection, and the Elevator coupling. The other switches are assignable to whichever channel you desire or Inhibited.

I am sure that the 8FG would have similar options.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:33 PM
jcvt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is excellent, however I think Spectrum is very controversial brand. If you type an look in google for "DX8 problems" you will find 2,200 articles vs 5 articles of "Futaba 7c problems" or just 1 result of "Futaba 8fg problems". I need to be confident in order to enjoy the fly , that is the main reazon why I want to replace the RDS8000 that has some limitations.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2012, 10:57 PM
BuschBarber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jcvt

That is excellent, however I think Spectrum is very controversial brand. If you type an look in google for ''DX8 problems'' you will find 2,200 articles vs 5 articles of ''Futaba 7c problems'' or just 1 result of ''Futaba 8fg problems''. I need to be confident in order to enjoy the fly , that is the main reazon why I want to replace the RDS8000 that has some limitations.

Thanks
I do not find any of the major brands unreliable. Futaba, JR, Spektrum, Airtronics, Hitec, etc.. I have used Futaba and Hitec for many years. I switched to JR/Spektrum when 2.4 first came out because I wanted to leave the Frequency board behind and Futaba had no 2.4 product at the time. Most of my 110 club members use JR/Spektrum. We have not had significant issues that could be attributed to any one brand.

I do not fault anyone for the choices they make in RC radio equipment. As far as I am concerned, the Bashing of Spektrum technology is unwarranted.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:36 AM
DougV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

With futaba 8fg you can just select 2 aileron and 2 flaps from the menu and you are done. You can check the monitor screen to check channels and or you can change the channels around for what ever function you like.

Doug.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:53 AM
TimBle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Indeed with the 8FG you simply configure the airplane as 2AIL+2FLP and then you plug and play.
I'm setting up a BH JU 87A Stuka and its a 2AIL+4FLP wing and guess, the 8FG caters for that as well.

Then I had another challenge, since i'm fitting a DLE20 to it, I'll need 10 inputs; 9 Servo's+ opto kill.
I am using a 3 channel Rx cal the R6203SB and S3010 servo's.
No problem, 3x SBD-1 decoders for the servo's and the opto kill goes into Channel 3 on the rx since only servo's are recommeded for use with the SBD-1 decoders.
This opens up some possibilities that the radio can cope with easily.

1) move throttle to another channel and plug opto kill into CH3
2) leave opto kill and throttle assigned to ch3 and configure opto kill to work with "throttle cut". This kills ignition and closes throttle at the same time.
3) with S-bus I have the same frame rate on all channels I believe, whereas if I used a 14 channel RX there would be higher frame rates on the first 6 channels.

Not wanting to knock the DX8 but its only got 8 proportional channels. The extra 10 channels are only accessed via an additional device and those channels are basically on /off channels at a lower frame rate.So when setting up something like a Stuka there may be some programming limitations with the DX8. Would need to confirm that but the fact that the extra channels are an add on put me off completely. It appears the 8Fg is still offering more bang for the buck, two yrs after release so I'm quite happy with the choice.

Also with the Fr-Sky receivers being a low cost option and linking two TFR-8S Rx together gives you a 14 channel RX for about $60
Old 07-05-2012, 05:11 AM
DougV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Not wanting to knock the DX8 but its only got 8 proportional channels. The extra 10 channels are only accessed via an additional device and those channels are basically on /off channels at a lower frame rate.So when setting up something like a Stuka there may be some programming limitations with the DX8. Would need to confirm that but the fact that the extra channels are an add on put me off completely. It appears the 8Fg is still offering more bang for the buck, two yrs after release so I'm quite happy with the choice.

Also with the Fr-Sky receivers being a low cost option and linking two TFR-8S Rx together gives you a 14 channel RX for about $60
Tim,

I think you are confusing the DX8 with the DX18, the DX8 is an 8 channel radio not 18.

Doug.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:24 AM
AndyKunz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not wanting to knock the DX8 but its only got 8 proportional channels. The extra 10 channels are only accessed via an additional device and those channels are basically on /off channels at a lower frame rate.So when setting up something like a Stuka there may be some programming limitations with the DX8. Would need to confirm that but the fact that the extra channels are an add on put me off completely.
Hello Tim,

That information is totally wrong! To begin with, I must assume you are really talking about the DX18, since the DX8 only supports 8 channels.

The DX18 has 18 fully-proportional channels. The first 10 channels are normal channels that are used for normal flying operations and are used for the various flight control surfaces. The last 8 channels are for auxiliary functions including things like flaps, but they too are fully proportional, and all the same servo controls work for them such as mixing, travel volume, absolute travel, balancing, reversing, and speed. They can have a higher latency, but the scheduler works to make sure that active channels (ie, when you change the servo's position) have the lowest possible latency, usually 22ms.

Channels X+1 and X+2 are also available on a 12-channel rx in the two highest positions. When used in this mode, they are 22ms/2048, just like all the other channels on that base (except for those in 11ms mode, of course). You can even use these 2 channels with X-Plus disabled (after configuration with them enabled).

If you would be so kind as to point me to the source of the misinformation provided to you, I would love to know that (PM me if you don't wish to publish a link to another forum). There's no reason that misinformation should be allowed to be propagated like this.

Thank you for an opportunity to give correct information here.

Andy
Old 07-05-2012, 03:34 PM
jcvt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am fitting a T.F P-47 with Zenoah 62.

Is the Futaba 8j up to this task?I like this radio and I will never use more than 8 Ch.

Can the SD-10 with a 2.4GHz FHSS-1 full-range receivers be used effectively for this particular aplication? I already have analog servos and the FHSS-1 receivers.

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:35 PM
DougV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes the 8J will work just fine, and the SD-10 will work just as well.

Doug.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 AM
TimBle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Not wanting to knock the DX8 but its only got 8 proportional channels. The extra 10 channels are only accessed via an additional device and those channels are basically on /off channels at a lower frame rate.So when setting up something like a Stuka there may be some programming limitations with the DX8. Would need to confirm that but the fact that the extra channels are an add on put me off completely.
Hello Tim,

That information is totally wrong! To begin with, I must assume you are really talking about the DX18, since the DX8 only supports 8 channels.

The DX18 has 18 fully-proportional channels. The first 10 channels are normal channels that are used for normal flying operations and are used for the various flight control surfaces. The last 8 channels are for auxiliary functions including things like flaps, but they too are fully proportional, and all the same servo controls work for them such as mixing, travel volume, absolute travel, balancing, reversing, and speed. They can have a higher latency, but the scheduler works to make sure that active channels (ie, when you change the servo's position) have the lowest possible latency, usually 22ms.

Channels X+1 and X+2 are also available on a 12-channel rx in the two highest positions. When used in this mode, they are 22ms/2048, just like all the other channels on that base (except for those in 11ms mode, of course). You can even use these 2 channels with X-Plus disabled (after configuration with them enabled).

If you would be so kind as to point me to the source of the misinformation provided to you, I would love to know that (PM me if you don't wish to publish a link to another forum). There's no reason that misinformation should be allowed to be propagated like this.

Thank you for an opportunity to give correct information here.

Andy

and thank you sire for correcting me. Clearly a salesman needs a bit more training