Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servos-Are you spending too much?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 12:55 AM
THE TAILBACKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos-Are you spending too much?

Servos run from around $10 to over $100. I have seen all of them fail at times on various planes. I use the cheap ones. I have them fail from time to time but no more than I see expensive ones fail. Ive seen guys get $30 servos on a trainer. Never had them fail in the air. if i don't like the way it is moving on the ground, it does not go up.
On my Sig Cap. Three Hobbicos in the back end. Two elevators and a rudder. Been just fine. Propjets, Warbirds, all fine on the average. Now I can understand paying the price when you have a $4000 Imacc plane but why on the average smallerplane. Do you really need a $30 servo for the throttle?
Old 04-21-2002, 02:15 AM
Steve_JR
My Feedback: (6)

I think you will find that it is the specs that really get people to buy the more expensive servos. It is not that they want to spend $120 on a servo, but it is what the servo can do that is important. Here is a good example: we have a guy at our club that has a stik style plane that he custom made that has around a 90+" wingspan. He flys it with standard 3003 servos! That is not a smart idea at all. Those servos are not nearly strong enough for the way he flys. It is quite possible for him to be coming perpendicular to the runway, turn, and have one of the servos strip from the overload and head right into the pits. You simply can't fly a giant scale IMAC plane with crappy servos... They need to have more than one on each surface and with conventional servos it would be really hard to get them to move together without binding. Torque and speed are vital for some applications and the only servos that provide what is needed are unfortunatly expensive. But like you said for the smaller planes, "why put an expensive servo on small plane?" I really don't know why. Mainly to save weight I would imagine but then again Chris540 put a digital high speed servo on his throttle for a 29% Edge, so I dunno -Steve
Old 04-21-2002, 10:47 AM
Ed Smith

A good reason for using better quality radio parts in an airplane is not just to preserve the airplane. Consideration has to be given to the damage that can be done to others if the airplane gets loose.

In the event of a lawsuit. it would be far better to show that every precaution to prevent an accident was taken. That quality equipment was used, not the Wal-Mart variety.

Ed S