Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Beginner Radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 02:06 AM
vekk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Radio

Just wanted to post and see some opinions.
I'm just starting to get into this hobby and was wondering what a good radio would be for around 200 dollars. Im mainly going to start out doing park flyers and sail planes and then I want to eventually be able to move on to glow powered models. What radio should I chose to meet these needs.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2003, 11:25 AM
aksmithrc
My Feedback: (2)

Default Beginner Radio

The Airtronics RD6000 is an excellent entry-level computer radio. It is super simple to program and when you get into glo powered models you will appreciate having "more" radio. Excellent rf link with the standard SMALL receiver.
There is a complete review of the RD6000 in the current (October) issue of Model Airplane News; you ought to read it.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Default Beginner Radio

Personally, I think you can do a lot better than that.
The first thing you NEED to do is to join a local RC flying club. Then start hangin out at the field and asking all the annoying questions that new people like to ask but, in truth, the experienced members will be glad to help you with.

Where I'm going with this is that it is common for experienced hobbiests (the ones you're already talking to at the field, right?) to upgrade their equipment reasonalbly often.
So what you want to do is to find someone who is threatening to do that and offer to take his current, super duper radio off his hands at a "fair" price (do your pricing homework first by seeing what a given radio sells for on Ebay or here on RCU).
This would be a good situation because you already know that his current radio is in great shape and works perfectly (if not, he'd be telling you about it). And best of all, you could end up with quite a nice computer radio (e.g., a JR 8103 upgraded by the experienced guy to a JR10X, a Futaba 8UAP or a Super 7UAP upgraded to a 9Z, or something like that).
You would likely be starting out with a top-of-the-line computer radio for no more than a low priced basic radio might cost you new. Now THAT'S value.
As a specific example, I have a _superb_ condition (with 800mah upgraded battery) Super 7UAP (PCM/PPM selectable) that I would sell for $125 + shipping (photo availalable) but that's for the TX and RX only; you'd have to get your own servos because they're all in airplanes.
I'm not blatently trying to sell it here, but it is available (I recently upgraded) and it is, after all, the subject of this thread and it serves as an example of what I'm talking about.

And here's a clue for you: While not universal, I think that more than half of the people in this hobby you meet will bend over backwards to help out the new guys. You could easily come across (create) a situation where one of these guys was only "thinking" of upgrading his radio but decides to do so just to help you out by selling you his current one and giving him an excuse to upgrade.
Just a thought.

Highflight
Old 09-04-2003, 01:47 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Beginner Radio

The advice to visit your local club is very good. All present makes of radios are quite good and will give you reliable service, it is just easier to get your questions answered and help if you use whatever is most popular in your club. Also a better chance of being able to buddy box with one of them without having to buy extra equipment.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:48 PM
vekk

Default Beginner Radio

Highflight you've got a pm