Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Upgrading to a new radio

I bought my Airtronics RD6000 Super years ago with the idea that it was a good radio that I can "grow into" and expand upon as I increase my fleet. Well, it has sat unused for most of that time and my battery packs are just paperweights now.

Now I find myself interested getting back into the hobby only to find that while my 72Mhz radio may still be usable, the industry has moved on to 2.4Ghz. I guess my point is that since I have to buy new battery packs (and a charger since I never bought one) and my system is outdated anyway that I may as well get a new radio and get it over with.

So, what are some radios that are of similar or better caliber than the RD6000 was?

Or, would this be a viable alternative?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Upgrading to a new radio

Well, the industry has moved on to 2.4, but there are still a lot of flyers using 72 mhz with great results. Depending on where you plan on flying, there should be no reason why you couldn't use the Airtronics radio, at least for as long as it be before you decided you were interested in staying in the hobby. Now if you are saying that you just have a transmitter and no receiver, then it might be judicious to move to 2.4 and not sink any more money in the old radio. There are several "hack" conversions but I would be a little careful with some of the lower end 2.4 systems. I have seen some that worked ok but others have been problematic. Right now it is a buyer's market on 6- 8 channel radios with various features. I really suggest visiting some of the local flying fields and seeing what the fellows in your area are using before tieing up any big cash.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I still fly my RD6000, it was out before they made the sport and super versions. It still works great for me.

If you do want to get a newer 2.4g radio, how about the RDS8000 or the SD-10G? The RDS8000 has pretty much the same programing as the RD6000 with two more chanels and 2.4g. The SD-10G is the 10 channel Airtronics radio. I also have (2) RDS8000's. They are a great radio.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-rx700-rx.html

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...1-rx-only.html

Buzz.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess it really depends on your budget and how much equipment you currently have. If you have a lot of rx's then I would just by new batteries (most transmitters don't come with batteries anymore) if you are confident that you will be in the hobby for a while, then invest in a good tx now. The biggest difference between 2.4 and 72 is one has to stay with the same tx/rx combo, you can't buy a futaba tx and a hitec rx. Personally I would recommend either Hitec Aurora from www.hobbyhorse.com or either a airtronics 8 or 10 channel. I would also look into "Life" batteries for your rx batteries.

Just look around and ask questions.

Jon
    Tiger 2 brotherhood #14
    The Common flyer, best of the lousiest, and lousiest of the best.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Texastbird
    I really suggest visiting some of the local flying fields and seeing what the fellows in your area are using before tieing up any big cash.
    Actually after I posted I was thinking the same thing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Minnreefer

I guess it really depends on your budget and how much equipment you currently have. If you have a lot of rx's then I would just by new batteries (most transmitters don't come with batteries anymore) if you are confident that you will be in the hobby for a while, then invest in a good tx now. The biggest difference between 2.4 and 72 is one has to stay with the same tx/rx combo, you can't buy a futaba tx and a hitec rx. Personally I would recommend either Hitec Aurora from www.hobbyhorse.com or either a airtronics 8 or 10 channel. I would also look into "Life" batteries for your rx batteries.

Just look around and ask questions.

Jon
    Maybe I posted too hastily. A new radio is just more money out of my pocket.

Thanks for the replies everyone.