Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is there a radio that does not lose signal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:28 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is there a radio that does not lose signal?

I have had my Futaba 9C for 4 years and never lost a signal converted it to 2.4 last year still have had no problems , that is why i am keeping my 9C it is a great radio should last many many more years , i fly giant scale aircraft , there are a lot of problems out there with the new spektrums several have lost planes to loss of signal , but Hightek Futaba FAAST Jr are all great radios , you get what you pay for !!!!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:34 AM
wayneparrish
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that I find MOST guys don't know anything about and certainly won't spend 30 bucks to buy,is the Skektrum/JR Flight Logger !!!! You cannot set up a plane and know for sure how many fades/hold you have w/out one ! I am speaking of the JR SPEKTRUM line. Of course some of the newest radios have the Flight Logger built-in,BUT,people still don't use it ! If you use the Flight Logger and do your 30 paces range check ,the proper way, you can read how strong or weak your setup is on the Flight Logger .VERY SIMPLE !! http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ht-log-JRPA145
Old 08-12-2012, 12:00 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I switched a number of years back to 2.4 and got all caught up in brown outs with my spectrum.I switched back to futaba and have never had an issue.does that make spectrum inferioor if you see all the pilots using spectrum they'll say they work great.and likely they do.does that mean that 72 fm is perect?hardly I remember all to well the frequency interence with FM.However with so many on 2.4 likely they wont have much competition for frequency channels..I think every system is suspectible to a frequency issue but overall the relaibilty of 2.4 is fantastic.

Its really your choice which way to go the major brands are truly reliable!!! it gets down to cost ,number of channels and features..just do it!!!
Old 08-12-2012, 12:39 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

control line
Old 08-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Jagthack
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: [Awaiting Approval]

Control Line! I love it!

Thanks guys for all the reply's. I will be visiting the LHS this week and doing some research. All I know for sure is there is no way that I'm going to fly my 37% Edge with this radio. This makes me physically sick to my stomach. BTW I have a radio for sell! Lol.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I think you should examine your ability to assemble a reliable system. Get an experienced modeler to examine your installation.
Any of the existing radios can give you reliable operation.None of them can guarantee reliable operation without your cooperation.
Just another reason why so many people avoid this hobby is stupid comments like this one. It's really hard to increase AMA/club memberships when people are met with this kind of comment. Great job.

Maybe you can flame me now for calling you out on being like this. Talk about being part of the problem and not the solution.
~
~
As far as radio systems go, I purchased the JR 9503 about 6 months ago and have had zero issues using that radio and Spektrum AR8000 receivers on all my different planes, and AR 400's on my foamies.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:27 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

control line
Old 08-12-2012, 04:24 PM
greengoose

Guys I know this is not any part of my disscussion, please forgive me but I made a move from Futaba, Hi-tech, and Jr radios, I had more trouble with all of these brands than you can shake at with a stick until I switched to Airtronics, I had four of them on 72 meg and not one glitch and my latest radio is the Fabulous RDS8000-FHSS 2.4 ghz, No glitches and total control, It was proven one time at one of our club meetings in Santa Fe of the Royal City Radio Control Club a representative of Airtronics showed up and proved to us with what looked like an ocilloscope how clean of a signal Airtronics radios emitted against the competition and that is what sold me on Airtonics as I was tired of losing airplanes. We were also informed that reliability of the system would require the use of Airtronics receivers as well, I have used Airtronics since 1989 and if I did crash it was not from the Airtronics radios. This latest radio is very user friendly and so easy to program and best of all Airtronics cares enough to provide you with their undivided and polite attention as the competition is only concerned with one thing. Try Airtronics you won't regret it, look at the user reviews that should prove the pudding. greengoose
Old 08-12-2012, 04:55 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

I've turned more planes into dust that it means nothing to me. I just build something new. Not saying it's the radio fault. Just something to build keeps me happy.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:02 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think all of the newer radios are leaps and bounds ahead of the older radios. Yet Futaba and hitec let me down. I have flown Airtronics for many, many years now without a glitch, hiccup or any problems. My old 72 Futaba, it was not if I got hit but how many times per flight. Hitec was perfect for just over a year, then I would not use the radio radio, I did not trust it.

Asking if there is a radio out there that does not loose signal is like asking if there is a car that does not break down. If it is put together by humans, it can and will fail.

I wish my thumb was as reliable as my radios, it would save me a lot of money

Not sure about control line either, I have had lines break.

Might take up free flight, no radio to worry about. But then again, if you use a mechanical timer, that might fail.

Buzz.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:11 PM
jeffh694

I know spektrum is great but while using dx6i and ar6100 receiver on two separate flights I lost control for 3 to 6 seconds but regained control because I had enough altitude. If I had been landing it may have been a different story I dont know why it happened but have not used that receiver since, would any of you? I love my dx6i and have not had any other problems exept for these times.  
Old 08-12-2012, 05:18 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jagthack
You fly about two mins and then while you are flying a pass from right to left down the runway about 50ft high the plane rolls right and dives into the ground at full throttle. As the plane is rolling out you yell I don't have it and hold up the radio while moving the sticks around and the plane continues to dive into the ground. What error could you have made that would cause that plane to crash? Now look back about three months you had another plane do almost the exact same thing but it was going the other direction and rolled out left. You sent the radio back to the manufacturer and they gave it a clean bill of health. What would you do?
The two crashes as described are not a simple case of RX losing communication with the TX. If it were that simple, then in BOTH cases the ESC would have shut the motor down because the RX would have gone into failsafe. I'm sure your failsafe is set to idle??

If it were a RX power issue, then again the ESC would have shut down from lack of a suitable signal from the RX, I'm not sure however what the RX would tell a throttle channel to do during a brownout reset?

The fact that the RX was telling the ESC to stay at full power is very worrying and indicates the RX itself malfunctioned in some way that it shouldn't have.

I have an old FM radio that'll pass every test known to man but I'll never fly with it (maybe with a foamy on the slope), but since I've used Futaba and range checked every new installation I've never had any problems. Not every one of my installations has been perfect but the ground check caught the bad ones, and relocating equipment fixed it up.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:26 PM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: jeffh694

I know spektrum is great but while using dx6i and ar6100 receiveron two separate flights I lost control for3 to 6 seconds but regained control because I had enough altitude. If I had beenlanding it may have been a different story I dont know why it happened but have not used that receiver since, would any of you? I love my dx6i and have not had any other problems exept for these times.
Spektrum Website on AR6100 specs

"Park flyer, Foamies, Up to 400-class Helis"
The AR6100 is a "Park flyer" receiver and not designed for longer ranges.

I use them on small helis but wouldn't rely on a AR6100 a longer distances and especially where antenna orientation or shielding may be an issue.

Under the right circumstances they can work at nearly the same distance as the "full range" receivers but a moving air craft that is constantly changing its orientation and possible obstacles make a significant difference.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783753

Glad you had the altitude to recover. Landing was probably OK because you may have been closer.

Paul

Old 08-12-2012, 06:08 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

I agree with GreenGoose and BlvdBuzzard.. I also Fly airtronics, decided on it when I researched the forums, and it seemed to me that of all the 2.4gHz systems on the market, the ATX had the fewest complaints (as stated before, None are Flawless!).. Ihave been flying ATX 2.4 for about 4 years now, with no problems with the system.. I have the Airtronics RDS8000, and an SD10G.. the RDS is easy to program and Use, and has most of the bells and whistles that a recreational flyer would want or need.. the SD10G, on the other hand is one incredible radio.. very programmable and flexable.. I am still learning the SD, but love it so far.. check into the Airtronics, you wont be sorry!

Craig.

P.S. I have also flown Futaba and HiTech 72mHz systems with no issues and would have no problems using thier 2.4 systems..

Old 08-12-2012, 06:19 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

I switched from futaba to Airtronics also.....my sd10 has been flawless on reception in 30-100 cc gassers, never a hiccup. only drawback is when slaving a aux channel to a aileron/elevator or rudder, it will not work at over 100% travel. being i fly 3d i like to max everything. its the only flaw i have found.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: carrellh

We had a 9C, Futaba synthesized module on channel 49, PPM

Plane 1. Big Stik 60, OS91FS, Hitec Supreme RX, Hitec 425 servos, 4.8v 1000mah nicad, all new when installed. 10-15 flights on everything.

Plane 2. SIG Hog Bipe, OS91FS, Hitec Supreme RX, Hitec 425 servos, 4.8v 1000mah nicad, all new when installed. At least 200 flights, over a couple of years, on everything.

Saturday 1. Fresh charge, load tested before flight. Stik in a spin. Release sticks, spin stops still diving. Try to pull up, no response. Plane destroyed. Everything is working after the crash. Load tested battery, no issue. Chalked it up to dumb thumbs.

Saturday 2. Fresh charge, load tested before flight. Bipe in a spin. Release sticks at vey high altitude due to nervousness from last Saturday, spin stops still diving. Try to pull up, no response. Try all controls, no response. Plane destroyed. Everything is working after the crash. Load tested battery, no issue.

Items common to both crashes

Stalled wings and elevator.

Watched a 30%Pitts Bulldog spin in because he never got back control authority after a spin. You stop the spin, which is one stalled wing, you're just getting airflow back on the wings, then you increase the elevator - which loadsthe wing, increases stall speedand causes it to re-stall. You're out of a spin but now have two stalled wings instead of one. Not saying this is what happened, but it is a non-radio related explanation to the events described.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:47 PM
carrellh

I'd accept that on the Stik. The Hog Bipe was high enough that there was time to manipulate all controls, including throttle, with no response. And it was nose down when the spin stopped so it built a lot of speed before it hit.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Jagthack
My Feedback: (11)

Wow Guys! Thats the kind of comments I expected when I posted this. The Airtronics was not even on my radar and now it's on the top of the list. Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:52 PM
fun2fly24

i have never heard a problem with any futaba fasst 2.4 transmitter no matter which one it is futaba is the way to go i think
Old 08-12-2012, 07:06 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The only "problem" with Futaba is they're dragging the chain on telemetry.

If you absolutely had to buy new gear right now I wouldn't recommend Futaba even though I swear by the stuff. I still run PCM 1024 and PCM G3 2048 and I'm happy with that, although I do have the module and a pair of 2.4 RX's for my 14MZ.

I'm not diving into any more Futaba 2.4 stuff until they have their telemetry systems common place....
Old 08-12-2012, 07:06 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Desertlakesflying

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I think you should examine your ability to assemble a reliable system. Get an experienced modeler to examine your installation.
Any of the existing radios can give you reliable operation.None of them can guarantee reliable operation without your cooperation.
Just another reason why so many people avoid this hobby is stupid comments like this one. It's really hard to increase AMA/club memberships when people are met with this kind of comment. Great job.

Maybe you can flame me now for calling you out on being like this. Talk about being part of the problem and not the solution.
~
~
As far as radio systems go, I purchased the JR 9503 about 6 months ago and have had zero issues using that radio and Spektrum AR8000 receivers on all my different planes, and AR 400's on my foamies.

You have had that radio for six months and you have had no trouble? My that is a large statistical sample isn't it?
One of our problems with this hobby is a guy gets a product and thinks everyone else should follow his lead.
I just thought it was a bit arrogant of him to have just two failures and condemn all of the equipment we use.
BTW How would you respond to him if he gets a copy of your radio and he has another failure?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:35 PM
JerryM
My Feedback: (685)

I have been using Airtronics equipment for 35 years without a problem. The only crashes I had were due to dumb thumbs pilot error. I even used Airtronics reeceivers with Ace Micro Pro transmitters with any problem. Now using he Airtronics SD-10 that is a great radio.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1320Fastback

72's been very reliable here.

I do have 2.4 also but always reach for the 72 when I want to go out a few miles FPV.
Going out a few miles FPV illegal, dangerous and stupid. Thanks for jeopordizing our hobby for the rest of us.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:51 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Rich,
Thank you for the reply. I am trying to narrow it down to the radio that most guys have had the least amount of problems with.

As for you other two. Let’s see....I'll examine my abilities..
I’ve been in the hobby for about 25 years. I always have the safety officer check my new planes before the first flight. I have 12 planes from a small champ up to a 111cc Pilot Edge 540 and 3 heli’s. This issue is with a plug and play Striker new in the box last Saturday with 6 total flights. It had less than 2 min on a fully charged battery with tons of power. It was under full power when the plane went into the ground. The plane didn't go into fail safe and I had time to tell the 20+ guys who were watching me fly a straight pass down the run way that I had no control. I actually held the radio up in the air and moved the sticks around so everyone could see I had nothing. The plane turned slightly right and down at full power. It just flew right into the ground. The receiver is new. I had this same problem with my radio and another plane a few months ago. I sent the radio off and it was tested as good and sent back. I just figured that I did something wrong and moved on. Now this plane does the same exact thing. I don't think so! The other plane was all new with 5 total flights. It had a 6.0v battery pack on a fresh charge on the first flight of the day. Before you ASSume I don't know what I'm doing how about clarifying what I my experience is instead of ASSuming you know everything. I posted this to gain information and help me to decide on a new system not so you can run up your post count. I would really appreciate it if you would stay off this post unless you have an answer to the question I posted.
Thank you.
Perhaps you should have asked your question a little bit better and not been so quick to react this way. These guys were trying to help as iff you were a newbie and your question sure made it sound that way.

Now, to your question, was the receiver the same in both cases? And was the second aircraft also gas powered? Your problem may be the receiver not the transmitter. Check the range limits on your equipment - many 2.4GHz systems are limited to 3000 feet.. I used to fly at a field with 3 3000 foot runways and we went beyond them all the time. 3000 feet in with a giant scale is not very far.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:39 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

I’m unfortunately in the market for a new radio. I have lost two airplanes to complete loss of control. My question…
Is there a radio out there that has not had or does not have problems with brown outs, frame loss, etc? Every radio I put in Google followed by the word problems get tons of pages with faults. Anything you guys know about that is close to fault proof?
Thanks!
2.4 for approximately 3 years now with hundreds upon hundreds of flights and only two issues and neither was the radio at fault. One was due to a bad connection (actually coming loose during flight and contacts just touching at times) and the second was a battery tab vibrating loose.

I would have to state that 2.4 is very resilient and not one brand so much better than the other. The brand wars are lame at best and really show a lack of knowledge. Check all the radios that can out and get one that really feels comfortable in your hands and has a solid background.

One word of caution, certainly be careful with the el-cheapo radios that have a sub par components and most importantly make sure your setups are bullet proof. There are tried and true radios that are good buys and solid performers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.