Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Tx/Rx Choice

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Champstarr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tx/Rx Choice

Aloha RCU Flyers,

Most of us monitoring this forum have read/replied to TOPGUN WINNER's thread on "brown-outs". That thread has become convoluted so I will ask my questions here.

I plan on using Spektrum AR610 receivers with my DX9 in my TF .61 size P-47 and 30 CC sport plane(haven't decided which one yet). Is this a good choice for these models? Is there some identifiable design flaw/quality control issue with Spektrum? Or are most of these brown out issues cause by an inadequate electrical setup in the model or due to the fact that this brand is tremendously popular, thus the numerous threads devoted to it? I have a Tactic TX850 with tactic receivers I can use as well.

Thanks,
Old 09-16-2015, 04:44 AM
yellowbird911

Your going to get a wide range of responses on this topic as well. I can only offer my opinion after flying almost every major radio brand out there, currently flying Graupner. When it comes down to it unless you are flying FPV outside the AMA line of sight requirement you don't need a 5k range. Also all the modern frequency hopping systems are going to provide a solid radio link. Yes some may work better in a highly congested area like Joe Nall. Everything I have read states that the DSMX is a very solid and robust link, not sure about Tactic but a buddy flies it with no issues. Power supply has always been an issue with 2.4 since the very beginning. I personally build my own harness that supplies power to multiple inputs on the receiver and powers high current servos directly, much like a distribution board. Have never seen my voltage drop below 5.9 volts using A123 batteries. This has served me well on everything from giant scale aerobatic planes and now on jets.

Bottom line is the DSMX with a solid power supply will work well for you.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:13 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated in the other thread, I've seen issues with Spektrum very early on . Some were unexplained while others were probably due to reusing old batteries and switches and one was a "whiskers" issue on a satellite. Since then I haven't seen another issue with Spektrum gear on it's own. I have seen problems when using too small batteries , cheap switches, extensions, etc...
Also there was an issue with Futaba awhile back and that was resolved.
I think both systems are good.
As long as you use good switches, extensions, properly size the power requirements with the correct batteries , etc....you should be good with either system. In other words don't cheap-out on the accessories.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:03 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

The early troubles of Spectrum were caused by choice of an embedded device that required a few seconds to reboot compounded by the use of an insufficient power source. That problem has along ago been fixed.
Futaba had its trouble,too. That was a mistake in the firmware. I chose to use XPS for that reason. There were plenty of people cussing XPS in the beginning of 2.4 but I never had any trouble with it that was not my own problem. I still use it.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:52 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

A 30cc plane like that I would probably use something like an AR8000 or 9010 personally.

That said, I have hundreds of flights with Spektrum equipment (and others) and while any electronics can fail I don't think one stands above or below the others for the most part.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Champstarr

Great replies, thanks guys.