Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How much were we at risk

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 04:50 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much were we at risk

Flying with a buddy, I noticed only 4.6 volts on his TX (Spectrum 5x?) He had 4 1.5V rating NIMH batteries. I'm not familiar with Spectrum or even 2.4 radios, I only use 72 MH 8 cell TX NIMH/NICADs. But, old worrywart me, I suggested he change batteries and the new dry cells 1.2 volts read out 6.5V on the TX. I used his transmitter and flew about a 6 minute flight. So, were we at risk of a crash during this short flight with the original batteries? Thanks!
Old 08-26-2012, 08:02 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: How much were we at risk

That was a very good move on your part as quite possibly your action saved his plane as 5.0 volts is the recommended minimum Tx voltage for alkaline batteries.

Karol
Old 08-27-2012, 03:10 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That transmitter will work very safely down to 4.4 volts. At that point you would still have plenty of time to safely land your plane. At 1.1 volts/cell a Nixx battery still has about 20% or its useable power left.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:58 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks, So at least a Spektum TX can throw out a sufficient signal only using 4 cells down to 4.4 volts. Is that basically due to the 2.4 technology over the old 72 MH tx technology?
Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

It's due to the fact that modern electronics run on 3V instead of 5V or 9V.

Andy
Old 08-27-2012, 05:45 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Nimh batteries are rated nominal 1.2 volts per cell and considered drained at .8 volts per cell. Normally you would stop flying at anything below 4.8 volts with a good margin for safety. 4.6v should not have been an issue for short flight. Disposable batteries are rated ar 1.5 volts per cell.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

My DX8 runs off a 4 cell Nimh, and it normally reads below 5v, and has an alarm when the voltage drops to a low level with enough time for you to land.  What is freaky is at full charge the meter on the TX is only at half bar.  The TX can take a Lipo instead and it will show a full bar. I am considering it, but get enough time out of the pack for a night of flying with plenty left over.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:14 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: acdii

My DX8 runs off a 4 cell Nimh, and it normally reads below 5v, and has an alarm when the voltage drops to a low level with enough time for you to land. What is freaky is at full charge the meter on the TX is only at half bar. The TX can take a Lipo instead and it will show a full bar. I am considering it, but get enough time out of the pack for a night of flying with plenty left over.
The DX8 charged to a reading of 5.1 or so- will provide power for 12 hours of ON time
the std battries - NIMH- need occasional charging - when the y finally get to 4.6 or so, 5-8 hours typically fills em up . never a need for field charging
The only problem I have seen with these batteries is overcharging -typically by those who think the battery drain is like the old 9.6 tx and want full batts for each flying session- .
As A Kunz noted the electronics run at 3 volts -just a trickle of current .
Typically, users go weeks even months without a recharge. We see lots of DX8's, this is not unusual