Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Eclipse 7 change mode 1 to mode 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 02:59 PM
waynex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Eclipse 7 change mode 1 to mode 2

Hi there. My first post to RC Universe!

I didn't have the money to go 2.4GHz, nor did I want to, so I bought an Eclipse 7 radio second hand thisyearbut it was mode 1 not mode 2. Unlike othercomputer radios, you can't simply re-program the radio,it must be done manually, it seems. There are only two channels that need switching between modes 1 & 2- throttle and elevator. My radio is approx. 2002-2003 vintage.

I have some electronics experience so searched online forums on how to do a conversion. There is some helpful stuff, but nothing on exactly my problem. So, I went ahead anyway & the conversion worked!

So, if you have an old mode 1 Eclipse 7 and want to change to mode 2 (as well as having trims that work in sync with the sticks), here's how:

There are 3 stages to the process

1. Remove the rear of the radio & lengthen the elevator and throttle cables so that they are long enough to switch left-right (some folk call these cables 'jumpers')
  2. Switch the ratchet mechanism for the throttle from one side to the other (a bit fiddly!)
  3. re-wire the trims to match
Have a look at the following Google doc link for pics & some more explanation: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_V...Hd2Q3hjc3hOQ0k

I hope that this is useful for someone who, like me, wants to stick with an old Tx!
-WayneX
Old 09-09-2012, 01:15 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hitec Eclipse 7 change mode 1 to mode 2

ORIGINAL: waynex Hi there. My first post to RC Universe!
I didn't have the money to go 2.4GHz, nor did I want to, so I bought an Eclipse 7 radio second hand thisyearbut it was mode 1 not mode 2. Unlike othercomputer radios, you can't simply re-program the radio,it must be done manually, it seems. There are only two channels that need switching between modes 1 & 2- throttle and elevator. My radio is approx. 2002-2003 vintage.
I have some electronics experience so searched online forums on how to do a conversion. There is some helpful stuff, but nothing on exactly my problem. So, I went ahead anyway & the conversion worked!
So, if you have an old mode 1 Eclipse 7 and want to change to mode 2 (as well as having trims that work in sync with the sticks), here's how:
There are 3 stages to the process
  1. Remove the rear of the radio & lengthen the elevator and throttle cables so that they are long enough to switch left-right (some folk call these cables 'jumpers')
  2. Switch the ratchet mechanism for the throttle from one side to the other (a bit fiddly!)
  3. re-wire the trims to match
Have a look at the following Google doc link for pics & some more explanation: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_VL9m33a0hLWHd2Q3hjc3hOQ0k
I hope that this is useful for someone who, like me, wants to stick with an old Tx!
-WayneX
A good .pdf, will add to others, which includean alternate method for the Eclipse:
<dt>. TX Mode change - Hitec Eclipse 7 - change Mode 1 <> 2
(if pictures do not show, download .pdf "Hitec Eclipse 7_DIY Mode Change_Pictorial"

undersub section "Transmitter - Change Mode 1 <> 2"
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.</dt>
Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 AM
waynex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hitec Eclipse 7 change mode 1 to mode 2

Hi Alan

Thanks for the links, I've bookmarked them for future reference. You have agreatlibrary of topics.

I also went to that forum page in rcuniverse but the pics didn't work (gallery expired?). Your method, excellently illustrated in the PDF doc, looks more streamlined than what I did. I didn't see the black jumpers when I had my set apart, but I see them now in one of my camera pics.

The plusses for yourmethod seem to be that you don't need to cut & lengthenthetwowiresfrom the throttle/elevatorpotentiometers nor re-wire the trims. However, one of the rockers/sticks needs to be rotated 180 degrees whereas that is not necessary in the method I used. In both methods the ratchet mechanism needs to be swapped over.

Anyway, it's fun to try creative repairs!

I note we are both NZers (me in Wellington).

Regards,
WayneX