Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hobbico vs. Tower Hobbies servos

Old 09-03-2012, 03:05 PM
8thscale
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico vs. Tower Hobbies servos

Hello,

Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm looking at the metal geared, HT versions for a GP 70 Revolver. Since I have to purchase 4-5 of these, i wanted to see if these were a viable alternative to the same spec servos from Futaba or Hitec.

Thanks in advance Fellas!

-Steve
Old 09-03-2012, 03:54 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Hobbico vs. Tower Hobbies servos

Re-badged Futaba and Hitecs mostly.

I have never had any issues with my Tower, or Hobbico Command, servo's. Open them up and you see the Hitec serial ID's on them.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

It seems the smaller ones are typically Hitec, the larger are Hitec and Futaba. There may or may not be a name brand clone, it could be a similar servo geared to Hobbico's spec. Not sure why there is a difference in price between Tower and Hobbico servos, they are usually the same servo and sometimes Tower is more.

I bought a fleet of the CS-10 or something, but still haven't started the project yet. The specs are good. Maybe this weekend.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:43 PM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been flying my Balsa Nova 120 (80 inch wingspan, Mark 1.35 Glow engine) for about 3 years using the Hobbico CS-160 Standard Digital HT/HS 2BB MG and the Tower Hobbies TS-160 Std Digital HT HS 2BB MG Servo. These have been good servos....haven't had any problems with over 250 flights. One of the Hobbico servos arrived dead on arrival. I phoned Tower and they immediately replaced it....didn't even ask me to send back the dead servo. The Balsa Nova 120 will put higher loads on the servos than your Revolver. I recommend them...really good servos at a very reasonable price.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:58 PM
8thscale
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Guys for the reply.

Sounds like either brand is a very good value.

-Steve
Old 09-05-2012, 04:13 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

'Oughta be similar since Hobbico owns Tower Hobbies and a BUNCH of other hobby companies....
Old 09-05-2012, 05:48 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All of our brands can be found at the website below:

http://www.bestrc.com
Old 09-05-2012, 01:50 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 8thscale Hello, Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm looking at the metal geared, HT versions for a GP 70 Revolver. Since I have to purchase 4-5 of these, i wanted to see if these were a viable alternative to the same spec servos from Futaba or Hitec. Thanks in advance Fellas! -Steve
Differences outlined under Servo - Horn Arm Spline Count and Inter Brand Compatibility
"Hobbico - Tower System 2000 servos are identical to either Futaba or Hitec (except the rebadged Hitec digitals are not programmable),
varying only by label and part number. Tower brand are pre-fixed TS. Hobbico are pre-fixed HS. The Hobbico brand is sold to hobby shops,
while the Tower brand is sold only by Tower Hobbies. Both brands are marketed by Great Planes.
Digital = TS-140 is a Futaba built servo and the TS-160 is a Hitec built servo.
Analog = TS 3000 series servos are made by Futaba.
HS & TS 2000 series servos are made by Hitec, TS-51= Hitec HS-300.
Hobbico CS65=Hitec HS-605, CS67= HS-425, CS71= HS-615MG, CS72= HS-700BB,
CS59= HS-77BB, CS35=Hitec HS-225BB.
Wire colours and connectors are good indicators of the respective HS-TS servo manufacturer.]"

NB:The rebadged Hitec digital servos are not progammale as are those with the Hitec label.
. Hitec Servo Chart (pdf) Dec 2012

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links