Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Eclipse 7 or Futaba 8J?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 10:49 AM
swimman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Eclipse 7 or Futaba 8J?

I'm getting my first plane which is on order (Eflite Apprentice) and am looking for a radio to use with it but also be able to grow with me into the future on more advanced models.

I'm currently looking at the Hitec Eclipse 7 or Futaba 8J. Anyone have experience or opinions on these models? Would something else work better for me?

I do have a bunch of sim time and don't think I'll have too much of an issue flying the Apprentice with limited winds, but I need to decide on a radio system.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 AM
JIMF14D

Default RE: Hitec Eclipse 7 or Futaba 8J?

Ihad two of the Eclipse 7, 72 mhz versions for 10 years and they weregreat. Lots of good functions, easy to program, very reliable. Iconverted one to 2.4 GHZ to start out in 2.4 in early 2009. Inow have the Hitec Aurora 9 which is the next model up from Eclipse 7. The original Eclipse 7 manual was great for a beginner because it not only showed how to program the radio but explained why you needed various functions and mixes and how they worked.

Hitec 2.4 Rxs are relatively inexpensive compared to some other brands and Hitec has good support.

Good prices can be had on Hitec stuff at A Main Hobbies at times and also Tom[s RC online. I am not sure the new Eclipse 7 is actually available for retail yet.

If you can afford the extra $75 go with the Aurora 9 as it is a great radio and you can upgrade the software yourself as new features and fixes become available from Hitec.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:49 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: swimman I'm getting my first plane which is on order (Eflite Apprentice) and am looking for a radio to use with it but also be able to grow with me into the future on more advanced models. I'm currently looking at the Hitec Eclipse 7 or Futaba 8J. Anyone have experience or opinions on these models? Would something else work better for me? I do have a bunch of sim time and don't think I'll have too much of an issue flying the Apprentice with limited winds, but I need to decide on a radio system. Thanks in advance.
[url="http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1418912"]]Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro appears to have more features, especially a much easierto read and navigate screen,
for the $ than a Futaba 8J (no 8J seen this country to date).
ex Heli Forum "the 8J is just another entry level S-FHSS only system based on the 9C software,
but it's able to use S-BUS. And no telemetry that I can see in the pics"
Futaba 8J has Acro & Heli programming only.
Eclipse 7 Pro features Acro, Glider & Heli programming.

Eclipse 7 Pro
(link to manual) has a Sensor Data Output and System Upgrade Connector Port.
A 3 pin servo plug connector port is featured on back side of Eclipse 7 Pro .
Using the HPP-22 PC interface accessory this port serves to facilitate upgrading
the devices software and downloading information from Optima 7,9 receiver if
using optional onboard sensor station..
( No need to send an Eclipse 7 Pro back to distributor or buy a new TX,
just download and install firmware updates via HPP-22 when available online)

With top of TX backlit on screen telemetry, the Eclipse 7 is very well suited to the greater majority
of sports fliers and using Optima transceivers, offers battery voltage with no additional add ons.

Eclipse 7 Pro E7 Pro, using Optima transceivers, offers failsafe and on screen RXbattery voltage
with no additional add ons,thusis all that is needed by the greater majority of sports fliers.
. Servocity - More photos and details.
NB: US$179.99 package exludes transmitter battery pack.
(some buyers will want to use existing 2S Lipo rather than pay extra for NiMH etc)
Verify package contents of all adverts, as packages are not the same in all countries and will better
explain price differences between various retailers and online sellers.

[or as in post #2, for very few $ more, check out the Hitec Aurora 9
together telemetry available for the Eclipse 7 Pro under Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers & Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}]

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65517.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	1734090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62529.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1734091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90443.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1734092  
Old 03-01-2012, 04:51 PM
jlingrel

I would go for the Hitec Aurora 9 if you can afford it. I have flown both the Eclipse 7 and Prism 7 &7X for years. When I return to the states, I am going to convert the Eclipse 7 to 2.4. I have never lost an airplane to a Hitec radio. Fumble thumbs maybe, but never to the radio.

John
Old 03-01-2012, 05:38 PM
swimman

So maybe I need to consider the Aurora. I can get $50 off at Tower and maybe this is the route I should follow as I could grow into the radio. I just like the high mounted LCD of the Eclipse better.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:14 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

With the new bare bones configuration with an Optima 6 RX and the special offer for a free Optima 7 RX with an Aurora purchase, this deal is tough to beat! http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBXGA&P=7
Old 03-03-2012, 12:41 AM
Pippin

The Futaba T8J ist just 279.99 one 8ch Rx included.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBWGR&P=0
Old 03-03-2012, 06:42 AM
JIMF14D

Hitec also has a deal where you get a free Rx if you buy a new Eclipse or Aurora 9 by June 30th. See this site: http://www.hitecrcd.com/offers/fro2012.html

Also check out AMP Hobbies for prices.

Have fun
Old 03-03-2012, 06:48 AM
JIMF14D

Ithink if you become a tower member for $10-15 you can use these codes and get another $50 off. So an A9 with 2 RX for under $300 if you are lucky! Also free shipping.

Take a look. http://www.towerhobbies.com/promos/e...css0312w1.html
Old 03-03-2012, 07:19 AM
swimman

I think I'm going to do the Tower deal for the A9. With $50 off and a free receiver, this is a good deal and a radio that should work for me for years to come.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Well I ordered an Eclipse Pro last night and the DIN one-way trainer cord from Tower..!! I have an Aurora 9 and love it, (and an original Eclipse with less than 20 hours on it) so the new Eclipse can be a good stable mate and trainer box for the A9. I'll probably jump on some of the specials from Hitec, like the $35.00 Optima 7, etc...
Old 07-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Prop_Washer2

ORIGINAL: Prop_Washer2

Well I ordered an Eclipse Pro last night and the DINone-way trainer cordfrom Tower..!! I have an Aurora 9 and love it, (and an original Eclipse with less than 20 hours on it) so the new Eclipse can be a good stable mate and trainer box for the A9. I'll probably jump on some of the specials from Hitec, like the $35.00 Optima 7, etc...
Did I order the right trainer cord....??? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN740&P=7

Old 07-06-2012, 04:16 PM
A.T.

Well I ordered an Eclipse Pro last night and the DINone-way trainer cordfrom Tower..!! I have an Aurora 9 and love it, (and an original Eclipse with less than 20 hours on it) so the new Eclipse can be a good stable mate and trainer box for the A9. I'll probably jump on some of the specials from Hitec, like the $35.00 Optima 7, etc...
Did I order the right trainer cord....??? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN740&P=7
Negative, The Eclipse 7 Pro uses the same cross wired stereo lead as does the Aurora 9, Optic 6 Sport,
Optic Sport 5 and the Hitec Lite 4. (all Hitec 8.4v Tx), example:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXZRJ1&P=8
Please refer to:
. Eclipse 7 Pro as Master, Buddy or Slave - set up.
. Aurora 9 - Trainer / Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up. - & Data Transfer A9<>A9 etc.
- Also covers Eclipse 7 Pro & other Hitec transmitters.

another pagethat may provide further information is:
. Hitec Eclipse 7& Eclipse 7 Pro - All Manuals, Addenda, Quick Setup, CCPM and Additional Programming FAQ

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links quick search = Ctrl+F)
Old 07-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Prop_Washer2

Thanks Alan, I just opened it up and it is the stereo style plug like the A9....I'll get my order in to Tower...
Old 09-02-2012, 05:12 PM
kenjo33
My Feedback: (1)

my 7 pro missing beeps please help
Old 09-02-2012, 05:59 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: kenjo33 my 7 pro missing beeps please help
Please be more specific, do you mean
1. Txinternal alarm beeps which relate to Low battery alarm and trim changes.
2. Module alarm beeps relating to the separate Telemetry functions and if so which features?

If no beeps heard at all from either Tx or inbuilt module, then email direct to:
Hitec Warranty & Service
Note: Hitec USA only services North/South America and Canada. - Closed Weekends)
• If you are from a country that is outside North and South America, please contact the
Hitec distributor in your country for service.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 09-14-2012, 06:55 PM
A.T.

error - wrong thread

Old 09-20-2012, 06:45 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

Subscribe to the Hobby People newsletter, they were just offering the Aurora 9 with 9 channel Optima rcvr for $339. That's the second time in a month that I've gotten that offer. Right now it appears the price is back at $399 but that's still less than Tower at $449 for the same system.