Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Ignorant question here

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:47 AM
oldbassard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignorant question here

The meaning of the word ignorant is "Not knowing"

I am planning to buy a Futaba FASST trans mitter soon, it's been about 20 years since I have flown. All I read about the new transmitters amaze me. My question is, since the 8J is advertised as being capable of flying several models and has 8 channels, would I be able to use a 8 channel reciever in one plane and the with the 8Jtransmitter be able to use a 4 or 5 channel reciever in another? Or would I have to buy 8 channel recievers for all planes?

Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: Ignorant question here

ORIGINAL: oldbassard

The meaning of the word ignorant is ''Not knowing''

I am planning to buy a Futaba FASST trans mitter soon, it's been about 20 years since I have flown. All I read about the new transmitters amaze me. My question is, since the 8J is advertised as being capable of flying several models and has 8 channels, would I be able to use a 8 channel reciever in one plane and the with the 8J transmitter be able to use a 4 or 5 channel reciever in another? Or would I have to buy 8 channel recievers for all planes?

Great question. You can use any channel count receiver that is compatible with the 8J.

This chart shows which receiver will work with the 8J. There are a number of 3, 4, and 6, channels receivers that will work just fine.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/receivers/f...ss-compat.html
Old 09-27-2012, 11:59 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldbassard

The meaning of the word ignorant is ''Not knowing''

I am planning to buy a Futaba FASST trans mitter soon, it's been about 20 years since I have flown. All I read about the new transmitters amaze me. My question is, since the 8J is advertised as being capable of flying several models and has 8 channels, would I be able to use a 8 channel reciever in one plane and the with the 8J transmitter be able to use a 4 or 5 channel reciever in another? Or would I have to buy 8 channel recievers for all planes?

The 8J uses S-FHSS, not FASST, so you can only use S-FHSS receivers. As with most radio systems, you can use any compatible receiver, no matter how many channels, however, you can only use the number of channels that the transmitter supports. With the 8J, that means no more then 8 channels.

You can, for example, use a 10 channel receiver (or a 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 0r 7) with an 8 channel transmitter, but only with up to the first 8 channels on the receiver.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:27 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something else to watch is when you go with some of the lower channel Rx is the range. Some of them are for park flyers.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Silent-AV8R

I linked to the chart that shows which receivers will work with the 8J. The link below will let you see if they are full range or park flyer. ALL of the receivers in the center column will work with the 8J. As noted above the 8J will NOT work with any FASST receiver.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/receivers/air.html
Old 09-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

I just got a Futaba 8J for a great price at TowerHobbies. They are offering a $40 discount plus an extra receiver for free. I got a coupon sat night for $50 off, so I paid $230 (regular $279), free shipping, and an extra 6ch receiver! its a very nice transmitter. You can use four AA batteries or purchase a battery pack. Its not Fasst, but just as reliable and receivers are a lot cheaper ($59 instead of $89 each for the 8 ch). I dont think you can find a nicer 8 ch 2.4ghz transmitter for under $250!.