Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Using one ch for aileron servos as opposed to using two

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Using one ch for aileron servos as opposed to using two

Old 09-23-2012, 04:02 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Using one ch for aileron servos as opposed to using two

I plan on taking an old model out of storage and putting it back into service. It has one servo per aileron but uses just the lead from ch.1 which is split to power both servos, and this system has worked without a problem. Is there any significant advantage in having a dedicated ch for each servo e.g. ( Flaperon) over the present arrangement.

Karol
Old 09-23-2012, 04:12 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Using one ch for aileron servos as opposed to using two

ORIGINAL: karolh I plan on taking an old model out of storage and putting it back into service. It has one servo per aileron but uses just the lead from ch.1 which is split to power both servos, and this system has worked without a problem. Is there any significant advantage in having a dedicated ch for each servo e.g. ( Flaperon) over the present arrangement. Karol
Use of separate aileron servos permits the use of electronic rather than mechanical "differential", "Flapperons" and
if servos are close to centre of wing, negates "Flutter".

. Differential - Mechanical set-up - Correct Dutch roll and Drag.
<dt>
. Flapperons or Spoilerons ?

. Flutter - Curing flutter by Ed Moorman </dt><dt>
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links</dt>
Old 09-23-2012, 04:18 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: karolh

I plan on taking an old model out of storage and putting it back into service. It has one servo per aileron but uses just the lead from ch.1 which is split to power both servos, and this system has worked without a problem. Is there any significant advantage in having a dedicated ch for each servo e.g. ( Flaperon) over the present arrangement.

Karol
Back when we had to use a Y Harness for such a setup, there were numerous instances where I encountered servo anomalies that were resolved by replacing the Y with a new one or one with 20-22ga wire. I stopped using them when JR introduced the Matchbox. I now use Channel Mixing where ever possible. Avoid using Y Harnesses and especially Reversing Y Harnesses such as for Dual Elevators or Dual Flaps.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:27 PM
PDF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
If you use two servos and two channels, and happen to lose one channel you'll have chance of getting the plane back.
Pat