Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FASST RX placement in ALUMINUM airplane

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 04:43 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default FASST RX placement in ALUMINUM airplane

I am riposting this in the general radio forum as in the manufacturer section i did not get a response, and moderators deleted some posts ...

Are there any issues i need to take precaution against when installing a FASST rx in a fuselage plated with aluminum ? I am doing my radio install in a giant P-47 which entirely is plated with Aluminum around 3 - 5 mils thick.

I am looking to mount the RX near the upper cockpit and run the antenna in there , however there is still a lot of metal all around ..

I have heard of issues with antennas inside of aluminum covered aircraft and am concerned. I am considering a Powerbox SRS so i can run two redundant receivers also as an option ... at the same time i don't want to just throw $$ at a problem that is only "potential" out of paranoia

thanks for any suggestions !

~V~

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94825.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1810228  
Old 10-11-2012, 05:18 AM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FASST RX placement in ALUMINUM airplane

I would try to get the antennas outside the skin. You only need to get the last 30mm outside, not the whole thing. You can also order longer antennas (longer coaxial cable section) to help with that. They have them up to 15 inches long.

As far as the other thread goes, it is the vendor only thread. Only the folks at Hobbico are supposed to post, it is not a discussion thread forum. This is the better area to get answers from the general public.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:19 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the aluminum can most definitely act as a shield to the radio waves - you need to get the actual antenna (the last 30-31mm of the coax that is exposed) outside the aircraft. In the canopy MIGHT work but I would surmise not very well for radio signals coming from the bottom of the aircraft because they would be shielded by the metal underneath the canopy (like the bottom of the airplane).

I doubt there's room in the canopy to get the antennas 90 degrees to each other, also.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:29 AM
DougV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the part number for the longer antenna that Silent mentioned. HSP79766 ANT 400MM

Doug.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:30 AM
wojtek

Well, i definitely have room in the canopy , its a good 8-10" wide ... I was thinking that even if I have the antennas in the canopy by the iplot, there is still aluminum shielding off from the bottom .. I guess i'm on the ignorant side of how the 2.4 radio waves travel, and am assuming they don't "wrap" around the opposite side of the aircraft ..

thanks for the suggestions on the longer antennas. I was not even aware of them. I think I will end up running double on the RX just in case after all, and run one rx in the canopy, and the other in the tail with antennas sticking outside .. i can probably hide them by making them look like lightening strike wires or something

http://www.aircraftinternational.com...4/Default.aspx

~V~
Old 10-11-2012, 05:33 AM
wojtek

ORIGINAL: DougV

Here's the part number for the longer antenna that Silent mentioned. HSP79766 ANT 400MM

Doug.

thanks !

Wojtek