Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

LiFe battery + regulater in a Hitec A9

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:21 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LiFe battery + regulater in a Hitec A9

Is anybody using the above combo in a Hitec Aurora 9 transmitter? I asked the question of Hitec about it and the Life battery voltage is to low on two cells so three would be necessary. At three cells the voltage is to high so a reg is needed.

I'm not a fan of leaving a Lipo in a charged state for very long. Or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill in this application?

Ken
Old 10-12-2012, 08:06 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts
Default RE: LiFe battery + regulater in a Hitec A9

The header says LiFe, the post says leaving a lipo charged, they are two different things.

You can leave a LiFe battery charged, it wont hurt it. As for the 3S thats what I run in my JR stuff, it runs just fine w/o a regulator.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:26 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2S Lipo is the correct voltage for that radio. Just make sure to get a 2S Lipo that is made for transmitter use with a low C rating. The higher the C rating on a Lipo, the greater the problem leaving it fully charged for extended periods.
The A9 is a 6 Nimh cell radio just like my Futaba 8FG, I can use a LiFe 2S. Futaba even tells you what to set for a low voltage warning for LiFe (6.4V), but I use a 2S Lipo made for the 8FG.
Pete
Old 10-12-2012, 11:17 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kenh3497 Is anybody using the above combo in a Hitec Aurora 9 transmitter?
I asked the question of Hitec about it and the Life battery voltage is to low on two cells so three would be necessary.
At three cells the voltage is to high so a reg is needed.
I'm not a fan of leaving a Lipo in a charged state for very long. Or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill in this application?
Ken
2SLiFe is not recommended, extract from 2nd link below:
" LiFE battery should not be used in the A9 because the voltage is too low.
A 2 cell LiFE has a nominal voltage of 6.6 and a full charge voltage of 7.2.
They usually drop to about 6.8v pretty quick so it will be under the low voltage alarm
of 6.9v in just a few minutes.
"

3S LiFe, if a pack can be found that will fit, will definitely require a regulator of some type set to max 8.4v.

2S Lipo. There is no problem with the low drain 1C/2C purpose sold for use with transmitters,
they can be left charged for extended periods. However, please refer to:
. Aurora 9 - Lipo User Adjustable Voltage sets Shut Down = TURNS TX OFF to save damage to Lipo Battery and/or TX
(Audible Battery Warning is still at 6.9V with Lipo which provides say 10-20 min before shutdown.)

. Aurora 9 - Warning Alarms Battery types, Voltage Level Interpretation & Consumption.
CAUTION - Leave Auto Hibernation (was Auto Power Off prior to V1.06) as "Never" when using Lipo Battery.
During "Auto Hibernation" (as with laptops) TX Does Not Switch everything Off
and batteries will be completely drained if
TX switch is not manually moved to the off position in good time.
Remove battery and store separately if TX is to be unused for a period.

A picture, showing user suggested fitting of a Lipo pack for easy removal/replacement, is attached to:
. Aurora 9 - Lipo & Field Charging. includes Fast Charge Aurora, Eclipse 7, Flash 4&5, Laser, Optic 6, Prism 7 etc.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Modules, Optima & Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 10-12-2012, 01:24 PM
canavanbob
My Feedback: (20)

Have you thought of using Eneloop batteries?
Old 10-13-2012, 05:29 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: A.T.

2S Lipo. There is no problem with the low drain 1C/2C purpose sold for use with transmitters,
they can be left charged for extended periods. However, please refer to:
http://. Aurora 9 - Lipo User Adjust...sets Shut Down = TURNS TX OFF to save damage to Lipo Battery and/or TX
(Audible Battery Warning is still at 6.9V with Lipo which provides say 10-20 min before shutdown.)

This answers my question. I was not aware there were Lipo's available that could be left charged for extended periods. That is why I was asking if anybody used a three cell LiFe with a regulator. I'm aware of the adjustment needed to use a lipo with the A9.

Thank You

Ken
Old 10-13-2012, 06:41 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: canavanbob

Have you thought of using Eneloop batteries?
Eneloops are certainly the batteries to use in a transmitter. I was in a Wallmart and they are selling a rechargeable battery that will hold its charge for more than one year. If that is not an Eneloop its a good copy. It was 10$ for a pack of four.