Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Spektrum system getting hit when turning on another 2.4 GHZ transmitter

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum system getting hit when turning on another 2.4 GHZ transmitter

Old 10-16-2012, 05:37 PM
TURBOMC
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum system getting hit when turning on another 2.4 GHZ transmitter

Here's one I've never seen before and didn't think it could happen. I have a Jet Legend F15 with a Spektrum AR12000 receiver that is setup on a JR 12X transmitter. I recently purchased a Spektrum DX18 and was in the process of reprogramming the AR12000 to the DX18. I went through the normal bind procedure on the DX18 and started setting up the plane.While the plane and DX18 were powered up I powered up the JR 12X to checka some channel assignments I'd used on various mixes.The next thingI know the control surfaces on the F15 are going crazy. I turned off the 12X and itstopped. I turned on the JR 12Xagain and the once againt the plane's control surfaces started going nuts again. Ithen turned off the 12Xand started from scratch tobind the AR12000 to the DX18 again. When it was bound successfully I turnedon the 12X again with thesame results....planegoing crazy again. A freind turned onhis DX7and it didn't affect the plane at all. Anyone know what's going on here? NOw I'm hesitant to fly the F15 on the DX18.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum system getting hit when turning on another 2.4 GHZ transmitter

Based on my personal experience with a Spektrum product... never again... [:'(]
Old 10-16-2012, 06:22 PM
TURBOMC

Default RE: Spektrum system getting hit when turning on another 2.4 GHZ transmitter

Shows what I know..........Ithought that the technology/software/hardware where identical between Spektrum and JR.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:42 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TURBOMC

Shows what I know..........I thought that the technology/software/hardware where identical between Spektrum and JR.
The newer JR XG line of radios uses the DMSS implementation of Spread Spectrum technology. All of the previous JR 2.4 radios use the Spektrum DSM2/DSMX implementation as does the Spektrum DX series of radios.

I have both JR and Spektrum radios with DSM2/DSMX as do many others I fly with. It has been just as reliable as any other brand. I am sure you will get this issue resolved and continue to enjoy flying confidently with your DX18. I don't recall hearing of a similar issue before.

Have you tried calling Horizon Support?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:50 PM
TURBOMC

Not yet, just ran into the problem a few hour ago.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:31 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Sure hope you get it all sorted out.

Karol
Old 10-17-2012, 07:38 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting problem. Take the following as a logical thought process; I'm not an expert on radio systems. Since both radios were bound to the same receiver, could there be the possibility that the receiver could still be wanting to react to the old programming in the 12X? Since the receiver did not react at all to your friend's DX7, proves that the system is still working as designed(blocking the signal of a radio that it was not bound to).

Could the answer be in the "steps" that you took from the time you decided to change from the 12X to the DX18? Did you plug or unplug any satellite receivers? Any of the "steps" that you took may be the culprit on why part or of your system is still reacting to the 12X. Are you sure that all satellite receivers are going into bind mode when going into the binding process?

Rafael
Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 AM
TURBOMC

Some very good questions here. It's difficult to get to all the satellite receivers due to the locations throughout the plane. I've been is contact with Horizon and they told me to make sure that the DX18 was up-to-date on the firmware which is V 1.03.They said if it wasn't toupgrade to that version, rebind and seeif the problem persists. If itgoes away they said I should be good to go but if the problem persists they recommend to not fly the plane. Theysaid I shouldsend the receiver to them if thethe V 1.03 upgradedoes not fix the problem. I told them I'd posta video showing what I'm talking about.They havenot heard of this anomalyeither.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Binding process wipes the buffer clean and then memorizes the GUID of the new transmitter. Even if, by some crazy coincidence, the GUIDs were the same, the modules send the last two digits as 00 where the native systems send the model memory as the last two digits so it should still be a different GUID.

My first question is, what does the system do when only the original 12X is turned on?

I like Raphels thinking, I wonder if you didn't wait until all the remotes bound, what are the lights doing on the remote recievers when all this is going on?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 AM
TURBOMC

Haven't tried that.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Is it possible that not all your remotes bound to the DX18?

It could be that you have some bound to DX18, others bound to 12X, and they are reporting different information.

Andy
Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 AM
TURBOMC

I was thinking of that earlier and I'll bet you're exactly right. It still begs the question of why the system wouldn't know that all the remotes did not re-bind yet it still pays attention to their input (i.e. from the12x). I will verify the light activity on all remotes tonight while doing a re-bind and perhaps disconnectthe remotes one at a time with the systempowered down and see whenthe planestops respondingto the 12x signals.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 PM
GR7Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's what Andy says.... I've had the same experience and traced it to a remote that wasn't bound properly.

KennyMac
Old 10-17-2012, 04:35 PM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Sprectum (intentionally misspelled ) sucks. Which method of transmitting are they using this month??? What a f ' in joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:43 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jefflangton

Sprectum (intentionally misspelled ) sucks. Which method of transmitting are they using this month??? What a f ' in joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yet another EX spurt-
Old 10-17-2012, 05:41 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

wonder how hard it would be to re rite the firmware such that the main rx would not display bind mode until all the satellites reported in as bind mode?
Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 PM
TURBOMC

Problem solved! Rafael23cc, GR7Racer & AndyKunz had the correct diagnosis. I put the receiver in bind mode and found the light on one remotewas neither blinking nor solid. I wished I had then powered up the receiver in normal mode to see if the remote in question went solid but I wasn't smart enough to think of that test ahead of time. Instead I played with the wire harness going to the dead remote. I unplugged it and then plugged it back in and then cycled the receiver power and the dead remote started flashing like it was supposed to. I ran the test with the plane under the control of the DX18 and turned on the 12X. No interference at all!

I guess the only question I'm left with is why did the offending remote ignore the bind command butstill passed on the 12X's commands when powered up in normal mode.

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:01 PM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: TURBOMC

Here's one I've never seen before and didn't think it could happen. I have a Jet Legend F15 with a Spektrum AR12000 receiver that is setup on a JR 12X transmitter. I recently purchased a Spektrum DX18 and was in the process of reprogramming the AR12000 to the DX18. I went through the normal bind procedure on the DX18 and started setting up the plane.While the plane and DX18 were powered up I powered up the JR 12X to checka some channel assignments I'd used on various mixes.The next thingI know the control surfaces on the F15 are going crazy. I turned off the 12X and itstopped. I turned on the JR 12Xagain and the once againt the plane's control surfaces started going nuts again. Ithen turned off the 12Xand started from scratch tobind the AR12000 to the DX18 again. When it was bound successfully I turnedon the 12X again with thesame results....planegoing crazy again. A freind turned onhis DX7and it didn't affect the plane at all. Anyone know what's going on here? NOw I'm hesitant to fly the F15 on the DX18.

Its the same technology. Either you did not fully complete the bind process, or it was still in bind mode ??

You dont say if one Tx is DSM2 or DSMX.......

I had the 11X and now fly the DX18. Not any problems with either.

EDIT: I see you were technically still in bind mode. Glad you got it figured out.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 PM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

WOW, that was such a contribution to the issue.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:03 AM
nk3t

Hmmmm, can't afford a 2.4 system? Yep, better bash it.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:02 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

ILL STAY WITH MY 72 NO TROUBLEWITH THEM IN THE 20 YRS IVE HAD THEM
Old 10-18-2012, 06:17 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

ILL STAY WITH MY 72 NO TROUBLEWITH THEM IN THE 20 YRS IVE HAD THEM
Well, I used typewriters w/o problems for many years... But now I use computers, there are much better than the old typewriter, and they actually do more things... But, someone will always use typewriters until the day they die, understandable.

Gerry
Old 10-18-2012, 06:23 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

well iam 80 now have 10 planes still going strong
Old 10-18-2012, 06:39 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Danger, DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

Rafael
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

well iam 80 now have 10 planes still going strong
We have several 80+ year old members in our club still flying robustly. I am 66 and one of my Bowling Leagues has two members who are 93. One carries a 150 average. I hope I can still do the activities I enjoy now, in 20 years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.