Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: 8FG SUPER

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

8FG SUPER

I have a Futaba 8UAF that I've had for years and it performs well. I've only been flying a little bit the past few years and am ready to get back in all the way. So I bought a Futaba 8FG SUPER. It looks great but I don't know if I'm just getting old, but in the first half hour of trying to use it, it sure appears to be a pain. I took the 8UAF out of an Extra that I've had and want to install the SUPER. I have 2 aileron servos y'd to one plug. I have two elevator servos, one throttle, and one rudder servo. Can some please just walk me through setting them up. So far it appears that I'm going to have to change my whole thought process over what I've learned in the past. I can't even find the place for servo travel limits and reversing. Someone please lend this old man a hand. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 8FG SUPER

ORIGINAL: spinmeister

I have a Futaba 8UAF that I've had for years and it performs well. I've only been flying a little bit the past few years and am ready to get back in all the way. So I bought a Futaba 8FG SUPER. It looks great but I don't know if I'm just getting old, but in the first half hour of trying to use it, it sure appears to be a pain. I took the 8UAF out of an Extra that I've had and want to install the SUPER. I have 2 aileron servos y'd to one plug. I have two elevator servos, one throttle, and one rudder servo. Can some please just walk me through setting them up. So far it appears that I'm going to have to change my whole thought process over what I've learned in the past. I can't even find the place for servo travel limits and reversing. Someone please lend this old man a hand. Thanks.
    I had the 8AUPS for years before I bought the 9CAP. I set up the Ailerons using the Flapperon program, with the Right Aileron connected to the Aileron Ch1 and the Left Aileron connected to the Flap Ch 6. I set the Flap component to Zero unless you plan on using the Ailerons as Flaps. I set up the Elevators using the Ailevator program. The Right Elevator servo is connected to the Elevator Ch 2 and the Left Elevator servo is connected to Aux 3 Ch 8. Be sure to dial out the Aileron component so that the Elevator halves do not react to the Aileron stick. The original purpose of the Ailevator program was to allow the Elevators to work as both Elevators and Ailerons. This worked for my F16 jets that had Flying Stabs, which replaced the need for Ailerons. I haven't, however, seen anyone use Elevators as Ailerons or in conjunction with Ailerons on an Aerobatic plane. Ailevator worked fine for mixing Dual Ailerons.

On newer radios with multiple choices for Wing Types and Tail Types, there are better ways of doing this.

I gave up on Y Harnesses years ago. Especially Reversing Y Harnesses. Too many servo issues as a result of bad Y's. I would use a JR Matchbox or Futaba Servo Syncronizer before ever using a Y.
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have had that radio for a year now and love it here is the a form that might help
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=flaperons
    the more you use it the easyer it gets good luck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks as I still use my trusty 8UAF Tx as I just love how it feels in my hands, plus it has performed flawlessly. When compared to current models I guess it has it's limitations but IMHO I think it's one of the best radios Futaba ever made.

Karol

When inverted always remember that down is up and visa versa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess I misread your post. I thought you were talking about the 8AUFS. I do not have the 8FG. Sorry!
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spinmeister,

I think this web site will help you. Select the model manual you need [note you will have to select the 8uaf and it will take you to the super] and then you can print it.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/downloads/manuals.html

I have the 8UAP with an after market 2.4 conversion and love the transmitter.

Gary
    Roo Man
    Magic Valley Air Force Henderson, TN
    AMA #897933 Club Saito Member #728

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hope this FUTABA 8FG- SUPPLEMENTARY NOTES from Malcom Holts will help you understand the power and flexibility of the Futaba 8FG.

Enjoy it, it's an awesome radio.

Doug.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the help. I'm slowly figuring it out. I got everything working including the dual rates and switch assignments.......that was something new to me. One thing more though. I currently hooked the radio up in a plane that does not have digital servos. When I move them all the way one way or another, sometimes the servos seem to "flutter" for a moment and then stop. If I move the stick slowly to the end point, they don't do it, but if I move it quickly, the "flutter" happens. Any ideas?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you may have the Receiver in high speed mode. If you power up the Rx without the Tx on, does it first flash Red/Green (Orange) before going Red?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't think so but I'll check it tonight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's the 8FG FAQ page:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-8fg-2_4ghz.html

A bit about the thinking process used in programming can be found starting at FAQ #9.
    Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
    3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
    Service Phone: 217 398-0007
    Email: hobbyservices@hobbico.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks. This radio does way more than I thought it did....or really need. I'm sure I'll "need" it once I start using more of the functions.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The menu system is a bit confusing, especially if you are used to the Spektrum menus. Once you get the hang of the menus though, the setup is fairly straight forward, the trick is remembering HOW you got to a particular menu. 

The one thing I dont like about the 8FGS is to get into range check, you have to hold the touchpad down while turning on the radio, where the DX8 you just scroll through to the range check menu and hold down the trainer switch.  If for some reason you had already started the engine and want to do a range check while it warms up, you have to turn off the radio, and well, if you dont have your fail safe points setup just right.........

Aside from that, its a very good radio. 
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks. This radio does way more than I thought it did....or really need. I'm sure I'll ''need'' it once I start using more of the functions.
    Better to have and not need than to not have and need . Once you get used to it, you'll really like it. Right now, it's probably the best bang for the buck going for the average to advanced modeler. I like mine a lot.
    J F Sohm - AMA# 192350 - IMAA# 15145
    If you're not catching any flak, you're not over the target.