Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Caution Orange 7 ch DSM2 can short out battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Caution Orange 7 ch DSM2 can short out battery

While this is not apt to happen, should you plug a 4 or 5 cell battery into the bind port with the plug reversed, you short out the battery. The center pin (on the bind plug slot only) is soldered to the signal lead. Should you accidentally plug your battery into that slot with the plug reversed, lots of smoke.Apology: I am mortified that I made this post before double checking with an ohm meter. I was in error, while it visually appears to be connected, IT IS NOT. I forgot an old adage "Haste makes waste", I should have done more checking before making this post. Perhaps the moderator can remove it or at least flag it as erroneous.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Aerocal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Caution Orange 7 ch DSM2 can short out battery

Interesting.It should be compatible with standards.Pos lead in the center and ground and signal on the outsides.
There should be no way the smoke can get out if you plug it in backwards.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Rodney

See edited first post.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:45 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is one of those cheap orange HK receivers? Figures ! I don't think you can accidently plug a battery in backwards with any other Rx.

Frank
Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Aerocal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rodney

ORIGINAL: Aerocal

Interesting.It should be compatible with standards.Pos lead in the center and ground and signal on the outsides.
There should be no way the smoke can get out if you plug it in backwards.
You are right, there should not be. Unfortunately, in this case it capable of happening. Just pull the case off one and take a look, the center pin on the bind plug slot has a solder bridge to the signal lead. This will short the battery if you plug it into that slot with the connector reversed.
ROFL @ solder bridge between center and signal pin.Ill bet it would work even better if you put a bind plug in and powered the port on the opposite side of the bus.
Video please.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:38 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure you can Frank-do you fly control line or Free Flight only???????????
Old 10-21-2012, 04:22 AM
Rodney

See edited version of first post.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:25 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rodney

ORIGINAL: countilaw

This is one of those cheap orange HK receivers? Figures ! I don't think you can accidently plug a battery in backwards with any other Rx.

Frank
Oh yes you can, on many of the Futaba's, if you plugged a battery into the battery port reversed, the same thing happens. Now, if using a Futaba connector with the little polarizing rib on it, this was impossible but: if using universal plug, again lots of smoke. As for the Orange receivers being junk, many will disagree as their reliability record is just as good as Spectrum's is and range is also just as great. My comments were not meant to degrade the Orange receivers but to warn those who sometimes power up with a separate battery rather than an ESC of a possible problem.
I don't recall ever Smoking a receiver by connecting the Rx battery backwards. I have had many Futaba and Hitec 72Mhz receivers and occasionally, the Rx battery was connected in Reverse.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Rodney

After the big error I made in the first post, I was starting to doubt my statement on the Futaba receiver so I opened up my FPR127OP receiver case and looked again. The PC trace is definitely connecting the center pin (positive rail) to the signal pin on the battery slot only. Also verified it with an ohm meter. Quite a few years back I made the mistake of plugging a battery into that slot with the plug reversed and burning out the wires between the battery and receiver. So, while the Orange receiver gets a clean bill of health, the Futaba 127 can still be a problem. It is easy to check, if you have that receiver remove the case and take a look or just check continuity between the positive bus and signal pin on the battery slot.