RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Upgrade from DX7 to DX7s?

Old 10-21-2012, 03:44 PM
bbells

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Upgrade from DX7 to DX7s?

I have the DX7 and I am having a hard time deciding if I should upgrade to the DX7s. I can get the DX7s package with the 2 receivers for about $50 more than I can sell the the DX7 for (I can get it for cost). I am happy with the DX7, but programming it is difficult. It isn't intuitive at all. My DX7 is still like new. And it works for the planes I fly. But, is the DX7s worth upgrading to from the DX7 if i would only need to pay $50, and plus get the 2 receivers?
I fly a Supercub, Corsair, and now getting a couple of seaplanes - Icon A5 and Catalina, and possibly getting the E-Flite balsa Stearman ARF.
Thanks for any help.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:39 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Upgrade from DX7 to DX7s?

What receivers come with it these days? It might be worth the difference to get the receivers, too. I bought my dx8 before the 7s came out, and its great. If the 7s had come out first I might gave purchased it instead, it would do everything I need.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:46 PM
BillinIndiana

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm hoping the old Dx7 gets some good reviews here.. I just picked up one that has the DMX upgrade done to it.. It's my 1st Tx for my 1st plane..?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:07 PM
bbells

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The new offer comes with an AR8000, AR6115E and AR400

Old 10-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Aerocal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BillinIndiana

I'm hoping the old Dx7 gets some good reviews here.. I just picked up one that has the DMX upgrade done to it.. It's my 1st Tx for my 1st plane..?
Bill
The DX7(original) is still a good radio even though it is becoming bit dated.I used mine for at least 6 years before moving to newer generation DX radios.
The programming isnt as intuitive as the newer radios but it gets the job done.IMO its a good first radio and I see them for sale at a good price.Once you start
moving forward in the hobby you will have a better idea what direction you plan on going and can decide on an upgrade path.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:53 PM
BillinIndiana

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Aerocal

ORIGINAL: BillinIndiana

Bill
The DX7(original) is still a good radio even though it is becoming bit dated.I used mine for at least 6 years before moving to newer generation DX radios.
The programming isnt as intuitive as the newer radios but it gets the job done.IMO its a good first radio and I see them for sale at a good price.Once you start
moving forward in the hobby you will have a better idea what direction you plan on going and can decide on an upgrade path.
Yeah. I'm not real sure what the upgrade is even about on the older DX7 I just got.. I guess it was like $75 to have it changed from dsm2 to dmx.. I haven't really Googled the difference yet.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:55 PM
bbells

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's why this is a hard decision. Yes, with the receivers the upgrade is a good financial decision. But, spending the extra money when I have a good DX7 is a difficult decision since I am financially in retirement mode.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:08 AM
Jerry-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The new DX7s do not have a throttle curve for air planes... I use that a lot for gas engines...[X(]..... the DX7 has one......
Old 10-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Rob2160

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bbells

I have the DX7 and I am having a hard time deciding if I should upgrade to the DX7s. I can get the DX7s package with the 2 receivers for about $50 more than I can sell the the DX7 for (I can get it for cost). I am happy with the DX7, but programming it is difficult. It isn't intuitive at all. My DX7 is still like new. And it works for the planes I fly. But, is the DX7s worth upgrading to from the DX7 if i would only need to pay $50, and plus get the 2 receivers?
I fly a Supercub, Corsair, and now getting a couple of seaplanes - Icon A5 and Catalina, and possibly getting the E-Flite balsa Stearman ARF.
Thanks for any help.
Do it.. the DX7s has DSMX and feels so much nicer in my opinion.. You can also get a Lipo battery that gives you almost 40 hours TX life..
Old 10-23-2012, 05:11 PM
bbells

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys! I ordered the DX7s.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:17 PM
BillinIndiana

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

Do it.. the DX7s has DSMX and feels so much nicer in my opinion.. You can also get a Lipo battery that gives you almost 40 hours TX life..
How does the DX7s compare to an older DX7 that has had the upgrade to DSMX?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Jerry-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A 7 channel is a 7 channel, no matter how many times you buy it with a new look. Why would you need to buy another 7 channel when you already have one? If you got to have a different radio go to an 8 channel. It has a lot more programming and features in it than the 7 anyway. I was told the 7s was an entry level radio for new people just getting into the hobby.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:31 PM
bbells

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I changed from my dx7 to a dx7s for several reasons:
Much easier to program
It is basically an 8 without the back light and 1 channel
I could buy it with 3 receivers for less money than it would cost me to sell my dx7 and buy 3 receivers
I can use a lipo battery in the dx7s
Telemetry capabilities
Smoother controls.

I was happy with my dx7. It was perfectly fine for all my flying. But, it would be financially irresponsible for me not to make the change.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:32 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jerry-RCU

A 7 channel is a 7 channel, no matter how many times you buy it with a new look. Why would you need to buy another 7 channel when you already have one? If you got to have a different radio go to an 8 channel. It has a lot more programming and features in it than the 7 anyway. I was told the 7s was an entry level radio for new people just getting into the hobby.
I think the 5e is the entry level radio. It all comes down to what you can afford and what features you want the Tx to have. If you only need a 6 channel radio, but you want the extra programming that the 7 channel radio has, you go with the 7 channel. I have bought a 7 channel radio thinking that it had enough channels to serve my purpose, only to find that I also needed to pay attention to the limitations of the programming and the 8 channel would have been a better choice.

The additional programming and the SD card for firmware updates, among other things, would make the 7S more attractive to me than the 7.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Rob2160

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jerry-RCU

A car is a car.. why do you need to buy a new one when your 10 year old Fordworks just fine.

Why buy a new 60 inch LCDTV when the old Black and white Television still works fine...

Its just nice to have new things sometimes...

The Old DX7 was a great radio... here are some reasons for upgrading to a DX7s..

1. Quad Bearing Gimbals.. Spend a few weeks flying with a DX7s and your DX7 will feel like it has sand in the gimbals
2. Longer Battery life.. Almost 20 hours with the stock Battery, up to 40 with the Lipo
3. Much easier to program
4. Much Nicer feel and balance.
5. DSMX - Yes of course you can upgrade a DX7 also...
6. Telemetry - if you use it.. (I don't but nice feature anyway)

The DX8 has a backlight as standard, the DX7s does not..

I would say a DX6i is an entry level radio for new people in a hobby..

Lets face it.. how many people really use more than 6 channels.. I have been in the hobby for 35 years and the most I need is 6, The normal 4 plus Flaps and Retracts..

Of course if you need more for a super turbine jet, there are plenty of radios that are suitable.. 6 is all you need for most electric CP helis also...

The DX7s is a nice step up from the DX6i, for a few extra $$$... It has some very advanced programming features, way beyond the DX6i..

Who told you the 7s was entry level?? People told me Spektrum was rubbish.. I don't believe everythng I am told.. i do my own tests and make up my own mind.. Spektrum is Awesome.. JR and Futaba too..