Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Setting up Ailevators in Spektrum DX8 / DX7s

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up Ailevators in Spektrum DX8 / DX7s

Just a question.. Does anyone have a plane with Flaperons and Ailevators and using a DX8/ 7s?

I recently did this ona small EDF using a Futaba 8FG and it works fine. See this vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPEGU08U8lk

I have also tried programming the DX8 this way and need some advice...

These are the steps I used..

1. Select Flaperons as wing type and Dual Elevator as Tail type
2. Set up Flap System (all works fine)
3. To get the Ailevator effect, I used Mix 1 AIL to LEL (Left Elevator)

I took the next step to set up Mix 2 AIL to REL (Right Elevator) and the two mixes clash...

When using JUST a single Mix from AIL to either Elevator, it actually mixes both Elevators.. and works fine as Ailevators..

If you use a Mix AIL to REL and AILto LEL, they seem to contradict each other.. even though logically I thought LEL and REL are different channels and therefore two mixes would be necessary?

Just wondering??

Old 10-24-2012, 06:25 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Setting up Ailevators in Spektrum DX8 / DX7s

The AirWare radios include a feature called "Back Mixing." What it does it it takes your mix to one side and applies it to both. If you pick to the Right side, then it causes more of the normal action of the surface. If you mix to the Left side, it causes the opposite action.

When you mixed to LEL, that causes a rolling effect because rolling is the opposite action (left side, remember) vs. pitching.

When you mixed to REL, that caused a pitching effect (right side).

In Spektrum radios, you only need one mix to take care of both surfaces for you. This in essence gives you twice as many mixes, and helps keep you from having problems due to only making a change in one mix instead of in both.

If you had stopped with the one mix, you would be done!

Now, to explain a little more ...

If you wanted to add flap action to your ailerons when pulling elevator, you would mix ELE > LAL. This would cause both elevators to move in the same direction when the elevator is applied. They would move in the same direction because mixing to the left side causes the opposite action. The opposite of the normal aileron action (rolling) would be pitching.

It's really easy to remember - Right causes the normal action of the surfaces, Left causes the anti-normal action.

Andy
Old 10-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Setting up Ailevators in Spektrum DX8 / DX7s

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

The AirWare radios include a feature called "Back Mixing." What it does it it takes your mix to one side and applies it to both. If you pick to the Right side, then it causes more of the normal action of the surface. If you mix to the Left side, it causes the opposite action.

When you mixed to LEL, that causes a rolling effect because rolling is the opposite action (left side, remember) vs. pitching.

When you mixed to REL, that caused a pitching effect (right side).

In Spektrum radios, you only need one mix to take care of both surfaces for you. This in essence gives you twice as many mixes, and helps keep you from having problems due to only making a change in one mix instead of in both.

If you had stopped with the one mix, you would be done!

Now, to explain a little more ...

If you wanted to add flap action to your ailerons when pulling elevator, you would mix ELE > LAL. This would cause both elevators to move in the same direction when the elevator is applied. They would move in the same direction because mixing to the left side causes the opposite action. The opposite of the normal aileron action (rolling) would be pitching.

It's really easy to remember - Right causes the normal action of the surfaces, Left causes the anti-normal action.

Andy
Thanks Andy,

I understand that logic completely.. I figured it wasintentionally designed that way but nice to have it confirmed by an expert...

Keep up the great work..

This plane probably doesn't need Ailevators but Darn it rolls FAST now.. over 1080 degrees per second.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruiuZahglQk Its a hoot to fly..