Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Who Sells More Transmitters

Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 PM
RCP57
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who Sells More Transmitters

in the USA. JR, Futuba, or Spektrum. I don't like the direction JR is taking using a different modulation than everyone else. I am considering going back to Futaba after 15 years but I am looking at the Spektrum 18 also. It has been hard to beat Horizon hobby when it comes to customer support.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM
oskartek

Default RE: Who Sells More Transmitters

What are you looking for, 2.4 Ghz or FM?
Futaba has over 17 years of history with 2.4 Ghz in
comercial applications before using it in hobby radios.
I have owned JR and Futaba radio equipment and have had good
results with both brands as FM radios.
Was out of the hobby for awhile, when I got back into it I did some
research and found Futaba had the fewest issues with 2.4Ghz so
I went with that.
I think most issues are with human / user error than equipment problems.
Spektrum is I think aligned with JR.
I would go with what ever equipment has the features you are likely to use.

I also had warranty work (broken antenna) by Hobby Services for my Futaba
was quick and no hassles.

As to who sells the most? I can't say.
Happy flyin', Oscar
Old 11-18-2012, 10:21 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

isn't that kind of like asking, who sells the most hamburgers ?
McDonalds probably, but i don't think they are any where near the best Burgers.
simple greater volume of sales almost never equates to better quality, usually more to availability and price.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't see any reason to doubt that Spektrum/JR is the best selling radio, mostly due to getting into the market first and the fact that nearly everyone makes bind and fly models that work with Spektrum/JR transmitters. I'm not real clear on exactly what the arrangement is between the two, but the impression I got was that JR started the Spektrum brand when it released its 2.4ghz technology. As for which is the best radio, pretty much all the other of the big 4 have a good reputation with Spektrum/JR not so great. That said, as long as you use a 6v battery pack and don't get one of the odd radios that can't stay bound you'll do fine with Spektrum too.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:53 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazin- misinformation has gained a life of it's own
Old 11-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCP57

..... I don't like the direction JR is taking using a different modulation than everyone else. ......
Futaba, Hitec, and Spektrum all have different modulation. That is why you have to match the receiver brand with the transmitter brand when purchasing 2.4 equipment. JR/Spektrum had some sort of agreement before, but now JR is producing yet another modulation. I will not go into how many modulations Futaba alone has. I'm not well informed in that segment, but I KNOW is more than one.

So tell me, where is your question going?

Rafael
Old 11-19-2012, 09:46 AM
luv2flyrc

I don't have any industry stats but, all you have to do is look around or ask the local shops and you will realize that Spektrum clearly dominates the market with the most share. The local shop has told me that Spek outsells Futaba 10 to 1.

You have to hand it to them, they've been on the scene for about 5 years and have clobbered all the other players to become #1. Futaba guys can cry all they want about Futaba being a better product but, it doesn't matter; people have voted with their wallets and Spek is currently the winner.

BTW, the connection between JR and Spektrum is that JR licences Spektrums RF technology. Spektrum is owned by Horizon Hobby.

Mike

Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 AM
luv2flyrc

I honestly don't know what the future holds for JR, I have my doubts that brand will be around much longer. I've been a "JR guy" for 17 years.

Why you ask? JR was strong in North America because of the strength of it's distributor: Horizon Hobby. Now that Horizon has changed it's focus to it's own brand "Spektrum" we've already seen a big change in market share.

Also, JR has lost it's biggest partner in Europe: Graupner. All Graupner radio's are now manufactured by SJ Propo in Korea formerly manufactured by JR. . So, JR has virtually lost both the NA and European markets in a very short time frame. Couple that with the late launch of their own 2.4 modulation system, I don't think it spells very good things for the future of JR. Maybe the Asian market is big enough to support the brand?

Mike
Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I don't see any reason to doubt that Spektrum/JR is the best selling radio, mostly due to getting into the market first and the fact that nearly everyone makes bind and fly models that work with Spektrum/JR transmitters. I'm not real clear on exactly what the arrangement is between the two, but the impression I got was that JR started the Spektrum brand when it released its 2.4ghz technology. As for which is the best radio, pretty much all the other of the big 4 have a good reputation with Spektrum/JR not so great. That said, as long as you use a 6v battery pack and don't get one of the odd radios that can't stay bound you'll do fine with Spektrum too.
To be perfectly accurate, only Horizon makes models that bind and fly with Spektrum transmitters. The bind and fly models sold by Nitroplanes, Hobby King, Great Planes and Hobby People (Airtronics equipment) are not Spektrum compatible. There is an Anylink module that translates Futaba and Spektrum and Hitec into the 2.4 signal that Great Planes/Flyzone uses, but not compatible without it.

Also, JR did not start Spektrum. Spektrum was a startup associated with Horizon that did 2.4 on its own and then they licensed their shiny new 2.4 tech to JR.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

I don't have any industry stats but, all you have to do is look around or ask the local shops and you will realize that Spektrum clearly dominates the market with the most share. The local shop has told me that Spek outsells Futaba 10 to 1.

You have to hand it to them, they've been on the scene for about 5 years and have clobbered all the other players to become #1. Futaba guys can cry all they want about Futaba being a better product but, it doesn't matter; people have voted with their wallets and Spek is currently the winner.

BTW, the connection between JR and Spektrum is that JR licences Spektrums RF technology. Spektrum is owned by Horizon Hobby.

Mike

The original DX6 came out in 2005, which makes the brand about 7 years on the market. The DX7 came out in late 2006 or 2007, as I recall. I got my original DX6 at the AMA show in CA in early 2006.
Early on Spektrum used an earlier generation of JR TX units to start their radio line, the original DX6 and the DX7. Starting with the DX6i and newer, Spektrum started making their own TX units. There was also a number of examples of rebranded JR servos in the Spektrum lineup early on.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I would say due to pure advertising on Horizon that Spektrum is the brand with the most radios sold as of recently. Personally I don't care for nor trust their system but prefer Futaba.
As already stated the most popular or most sold isn't always the best in general or for you and your needs.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 AM
RCP57
My Feedback: (25)

I am just curious as to who sells more radios. No other reason behind the query. I like the features of the Spektrum 18 and will probably go that direction. Seems like the best value for the dollar.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:30 PM
TFF

I bet Futaba sells the most, but you have to think of what class of TX your after. This is how I see the red/blue states shaking out. Spectrum owns the park flier hands down. The meat is the .40-1.20 size planes with people flying radios under $500. Futaba wins. I bet in this area there are going to be 10,000+ under christmas trees this year; many never see the light of day either. At the upper end I bet it is close to 50/50 with JR with a slight lead. 14-18 channel sales for both brands is barely a blip on the sales market, but there are a few who can use the capabilities and they are great drool creators.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:42 PM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fly Airtronics, only one around I know of.
Here, what is most used, is what is most sold. Futaba.
I think this is probably true in most areas.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:18 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

I've spoken with the guy that runs our LHS - at this shop, Spektrum outsells Futaba by about 10:1 the last time I asked.

The BNF planes probably have quite a bit to do with that.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 PM
kwblake

Ding. End of Round 1.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 PM
RiverLarry

ANY BETS how long this will go on ?????

wenter is hear and I could use some reading on my down time from flying !!!! R/L
Old 11-19-2012, 02:01 PM
rmh

Check with your local hobby sales folk - The post from Oregon noting most sales were Futaba ,is the only one I have seen noting similar sales .
The overwhelming switch to electric and in particular, the Bind nFly stuf - really changed radio sales
10 years ago, the majority of radios seen HERE amongst the new fliers and ARF flyers , were the low priced Futabas - they worked very well and were very inexpensive.
When the Spektrum DX7 hit the shops here , they couldn't give away any non 2.4 radios - The change over was instant and overwhelming.
Some older fliers kept what they had - basically they were happy with what they had and the disposable income had become smaller.
Present sales here - overwhelmingly the Spektrum or compatible JR
Some Futaba guys sold their early on 2.4 simply because they were incompatible with later offerings - They worked but the "orphan " factor really got to em.
You didn't ask which is best -
They all work very well - setup correctly.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:35 PM
thepamster

Spektrum probably sells more radios.
I fly Futaba and don't care how many of any other brands are sold.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:58 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Why the question?
There are Spectrum and Futaba guys here, they will point out that their system is better, no one here has the exact # of sales, I bought my 2 Futaba controllers online, the hobby shop does not know about it.

Coming back to the old problem - the shop only sells little electrics and is about 1 hour away. So people around here buy mostly online.

I'd think Futaba still sells a lot of radios, enough to stay in business for a long time. Not to worry about getting parts in the future.

So if you are looking for a radio, find out what you like best, not what sells the best.

my 2 cents
Old 11-19-2012, 04:19 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

So if you are looking for a radio, find out what you like best,
amen.. it all comes down to what YOU like best, what works for you and feels right when you use it.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Tobtech
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rmh

Amazin- misinformation has gained a life of it's own

I have the same amount of fun flying being misinformed as I do being informed
Old 11-19-2012, 04:47 PM
rmh

You have come to the right place!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Ed

For over more then 50 years, I have flown Kraft, Heathkit, Airtronics, HiTec, Futaba, JR, and Spektrum, and never had a radio failure. I have had servos, switches, connectors, and batteries fail, but never a radio. Select the brand that appeals to you most, and then start doing your homework, and maintaining all of your systems components with great intensity.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:49 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Walking the lines at most of the flyins i see about 4:1 with spektrum over futaba. You can argue which is better and it is kinda like the betamax vs vhs debate. Both worked, one was technicallty better originally but evolved. One thing with spectrum is they do support their legacy protocalls at least so far.. Dx 18 is a lot of bang for the buck. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.