Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Help: Adding Dual Rate

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 10:13 PM
meltemi2201

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Adding Dual Rate

Want to add a fixed dual rate, anyone with a schematic to do this?
I want to cut about 50% and the change in resistance from center to full is about 300ohms.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:34 PM
meltemi2201

Default Help: Circuit board markings

Circuit board is marked Vref,Sig,Gnd. , this is where the pot is terminated.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:16 AM
FHHuber
Banned

A qualified, LICENCED technician can make the transmitter modification for you.

For you to dig in your transmtter and start soldering would DEFINITELY be illegal. If you make a small mistake and cause the radio to fail... you've got something on the order of $10,000 fine, 3 to 15 years prizon...
And... no insurance of any type will cover you for damages caused through the commission of a felony.

Is it woth the risks to save a few $? The mods will cost a small amount at a local shop... or a TX with the capability already in it is under $150. (and comes with another RX, servos, battery....)

Don't do it at home.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:22 PM
meltemi2201

Its a pistol grip control for land use only. I would never modify my 72mhz air controls.
Whats the big deal, its 27mhz for remote car.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:50 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The big deal is... its illegal.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:09 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi there guys.

Actually it is a very common belief that the transmitter is off limits. And usually I agree with Mr Huber who has my respect in all ways. I know he is a thoughtful flyer .
However the real part we are to stay away from is the RF deck. It is OK to work on the control circuits . As Mr Huber cautions there are many folks working on transmitters who should not.
We are allowed to change batteries ,sticks,pots etc. By all means heed Mr Huber's advice and leave the RF section alone. The FCC cares not a whit for our planes,it's interference from illegal devices to other services they desire to maintain control over.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:50 PM
00hex

Please, let's not start another argument about what is and isn't legal...
To be honest it's very unlikely that you could mess up the RF section just fiddling with the pots in the gymbals. But if you have to ask how to decrease the pot's travel with a couple of resistors, you probably shouldn't be messing with something as complicated as an R/C transmitter.

BTW, I think there are other services with frequencies near the 27 MHz R/C ones, just like 72 MHz.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:58 PM
Ladyflyer

I agree about the "chances" but to modify the encoder is legal . The RF deck is off limits . Different laws also apply on the 27 MHz band than on the 72 MHz band. When Heath , Ace RC ,World Engines , Royal etc. sold kits to build transmitters the RF deck came preassemled and tuned . The builder was allowed to build the rest as they saw fit. No one tested their abilities .

The 'other sevices' on the 27 MHz band are mainly the CB anarchists. The FCC has wisely seen fit NOT to place any critical operations like 20 ton industrial cranes anywhere near that mayhem. I think a 20,000 Watt CB bootlegger would be a more serious concern than a 4/10 Watt handheld with a whip antenna.

When the fcc refers to an RC transmitter the part they refer to is the RF deck . The encoder section is usually kept seperate ,not so much to avoid RF contamination but to allow for engineering changes without re-certification. The manufacturer can change the encoder as long as they make no change to the RF deck design.Also it allows for flexibility in different markets.

Logic aside it is legal to modify the encoder section.

I'm glad you don't care to argue. I have no interest in arguement ,just like to see the facts get out.

Old 01-09-2003, 05:03 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The problem with telling people to go ahead and modify the encoder... there are a lot of dummies out there who will say: "If I can modify this... then the rest is OK to mess with TOO."

Heck... the crystal having an access door on the side of the TX has people thinking its legal to swap crystal at will... (and thats illegal for sure.)

Back when Heathkit R/C systems were on the market... the rules were different. You won't fnd any kit radios on the market now. Also, back then everyone was supposed to get a licence to even operate a R/C system. (I've still got mne somewhere...)

You can't compare doing stuff inside the modern TX with working on the old Heathksts either... The traces on the circuit boards are much finer now, making it much easier to cross-connect 2 traces accidentally. (which can burn out the whole radio...)

If you tell them that EVERYTHING inside that case is illegal to mess with... the dummies MIGHT not play with it. And its the dumbest person we have to think of when giving advice on this subject.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Ladyflyer

Yup !,
I DO agree that most folks SHOULD just stay out . That is a fact . The other side of the story is.... yes it is legal to modify if you so desire . Whether or not I agree that is should be legal. There is no law or even AMA rule against it . Kind of like jumping the diode ,putting in a larger battery etc.

Again Mr Huber you are one of the folks hereabouts I hold a lot of respect for. No desire to argue at all just the facts. I really hesitated at first with my reply . I think it is within someone's legal right to to the mod so it is their right to know and decide accordingly. I do hope they stay within their ability .

Thanks,
LF