Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Futaba 12Z - convert Mode 2 to Mode 1?

Hello,
    Just purchased a 12ZA mode 2 and am trying to avoid sending it in for conversion (if at all possible). I fly mode 3 (ail / ele left stick) which means I need the throttle setup as on mode 1. On other radios I've had, this was a snap (especially 10C) but am now stumped seeing that my 12Z gimbals are not quite the same to allow the spring / ratchet swap. In the picture, I've drawn a red X over a pin which served as pivot point for the spring lever (black plastic piece with white tape on laying on center pcb). The hole in that lever slips over the pin, and the hook holds the end of spring. I would have expected that pin to also exist on the right hand gimbal (as viewed in picture) but in fact there's only a hole for it where I've drawn the red line in lower right corner.

This pin appears to be pressed into the gimbal on the left. Has anyone made this conversion, and if so, how should I deal with this?

Also, I've read about re-calibrating the sticks after re-assigning their functions in the software, but it was in reference to the heli Tx with limited throttle travel. Since this is a 12ZA, do I have to recalibrate the sticks? I'm guessing not but am hoping for some confirmation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki19829.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	1828708  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Futaba 12Z - convert Mode 2 to Mode 1?

ORIGINAL: Jeff Worsham Hello, just purchased a 12ZA mode 2 and am trying to avoid sending it in for conversion (if at all possible). I fly mode 3 (ail / ele left stick) which means I need the throttle setup as on mode 1. On other radios I've had, this was a snap (especially 10C) but am now stumped seeing that my 12Z gimbals are not quite the same to allow the spring / ratchet swap. In the picture, I've drawn a red X over a pin which served as pivot point for the spring lever (black plastic piece with white tape on laying on center pcb). The hole in that lever slips over the pin, and the hook holds the end of spring. I would have expected that pin to also exist on the right hand gimbal (as viewed in picture) but in fact there's only a hole for it where I've drawn the red line in lower right corner.
    This pin appears to be pressed into the gimbal on the left. Has anyone made this conversion, and if so, how should I deal with this?
    Also, I've read about re-calibrating the sticks after re-assigning their functions in the software, but it was in reference to the heli Tx with limited throttle travel. Since this is a 12ZA, do I have to recalibrate the sticks? I'm guessing not but am hoping for some confirmation.
    TX Mode change - Futaba 12Z
    ex sub section "Transmitter - Change Mode 1 <> 2"
    below
    "Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
    Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
    R/C hobby consultant for various companies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What I notice is that the pots have been replaced and the service technician did not route the flex wire back through the hole in the gimbal - somewhat tedious job. Won't last long that way. It is fairly simple to just swap the sticks since the wires unplug.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Four Stroker

What I notice is that the pots have been replaced and the service technician did not route the flex wire back through the hole in the gimbal - somewhat tedious job. Won't last long that way. It is fairly simple to just swap the sticks since the wires unplug.
    Just a poor view / picture. The cable is actually routed thru the hole in each gimbal. Anyway, in the end I just sent it in for conversion by proper / qualified technician. I have no experience or training in the stick calibrations and really don't think this is the radio I want to learn with. Even on sale, cost me a bundle (in my book) so want to make sure it's done right. Thanks for all the responses guys!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's a great radio at the current price. I paid almost twice as much and have really enjoyed mine.