Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Radio Technology ????? HELP!

Guess its hard to stop the my swartz is bigger than your swartz mentality when even some radio manufacturers have engaged in it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrJxV_q6qPM[/youtube]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCFlyerGuy

Okay, so I'm getting beck into the hobby since having gotten away from it in the late 80's!!

I have 4 Futaba radios, all FM, so based upon what I read, resurrecting them is not a wise choice. Sucks because a couple were purchased and never even taken out of the box yet! (One 7 channel and the rest 6 channels).
    Don't believe everything your read! Believing 72MHz is not a wise choice is like believeing WEB 2,0 is absolutely the way to go. Don't get caught up in the hype - the best thing 2.4GHz has done for you is reduce the amount of conflict you'll have over a frequency pin!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Although I have a favorite system, I don't try to steer anyone toward any one brand and I recommend you take comments from anyone who does with a grain of salt. 

It sounds like your 72 is viable, so for now just make sure the batteries are OK. A cheap way to try 2.4G is the Anylink system, which uses the trainer port on your transmitter. Check compatability with your radio here:
    http://www.tx-ready.com/anylink-chart.html

There are so many choices, it's amazing. I and my pals have a hard time keeping up, and we're pretty hard-core RCers. But it beats the alternative. 
    I might not be very good, but I am fun to watch!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Propworn

Guess its hard to stop the my swartz is bigger than your swartz mentality when even some radio manufacturers have engaged in it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrJxV_q6qPM[/youtube]
    Truly one of the most half faast bits ever -
    based on wistful daydreaming
    Libby is still watching you

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm another "old timer", recently back in the hobby, making the transition from 72 mHz to 2.4 gHz.

There is DEFINITELY more to 2.4 than meets the eye, but its not rocket science.

My initial inclination was to stay with 72 mHz. My wife surprised me with a new 2.4 Tx /Rx combo for Xmas, so that kind of made the decision for me. In the interim, I have come to realize that "going to 2.4" is inevitable; primarily because no one is producing any new 72 mHz stuff any more.

Changing is hard, I know. You've got all this good older stuff that still works fine, you understand it, etc. Well, I've been poking around for info for the last three weeks, and the two things I have realized are the most important are 1) receiver set-up... specifically, antenna orientation.. in the model, and 2) receiver battery considerations. 1) is pretty easy; 2) requires some thought.

Forget about niCads and 4.8 volts. Yeah, lots of folks are doing it. Lots of folks still drive without a seat belt, too. That extra cell and 1.5 volt gives you a bit of a fudge factor against an unanticipated load dragging your on-board voltage down below 3.5 volts; at which point your receiver will simply quit working. If the load is brief, and the voltage goes back up, the receiver may even re-boot in time to save your model... maybe.

I have two Alpha 4s, and since five cell/6 volt packs work fine with 2.4, I see no reason to invest quite a sum in new battery technology. The new five-cell packs will be expense enough.

I did, however, buy a cheap ARF Stik to use as a radio test-bed, while I learn the ins and outs/dos and don'ts of 2.4. I finished that plane the other day. After a few flights on my proven 72 mHz gear, I'll throw one of these 2.4 receivers in the airplane and see what happens.

As for my 72 mHz gear... I intend to keep it for a while. I was planning to get a 72 MHz module for my new radio, to be able to use my older receivers... but I decided to just use the old transmitters instead. I will eventually be "all 2.4".

And don't scrimp on your transmitter. I ended up with a Futaba 12Z, and no, I'll probably never use all the programming power it offers. But it does have some really neat features, and the dual-bearinged sticks are a super-smooth joy to operate; MUCH better than any other Futaba radio I've handled with the exception of the 14MZ. I'm really looking forward to flying this box.

My point is, you're paying for a lot of different, "better" things on these high-end radios. And not all of them are superfluous fluff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another question...... is there a simple explanation for the difference between Futaba's FASST and FHSST? It seems the FH is finding it's way to the newer, lower priced radios while FA is on the higher priced radios. A casual look at the Futaba website did not reveal any of the differences.
    Mike
    Waco Brotherhood #215/Ultra Sport Brotherhood #126

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FHSS is just a more affordable alternative to FASST. It still has the same range from what I have read.
    Gary
    Goldberg Tiger Club #55

I\'\'d rather be flying!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is one sticky point in all this 2.4 gear; most is proprietary, and many times not backward-compatible (won't work on earlier systems). You really have to do your homework and talk to the local radio expert, not the hobby shop sales guy, as when you purchase you're locked into that technology. 
    This is why I have a modular radio. I can use a 72-Mhz module and dial up any freq to use, also its 2.4Ghz module and a Spektrum module for small planes like the Night Vapor. This set-up covers all the bases for me. 
    I might not be very good, but I am fun to watch!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just looked at Tower, and Futaba's 8J transmitter uses 4 AA Batteries???? This seems like a huge step backwards!
    Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Test.
    There is no such thing as too much power.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Test.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It appears that you can reply to a specific post or if you do a general post reply at the bottom of the page, it replies to the last post.

You can edit your post in the top right corner, but can not change who it was in reply to.

Hopefully someone else knows how or maybe you just can't???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ma_mulcahy

I just looked at Tower, and Futaba's 8J transmitter uses 4 AA Batteries???? This seems like a huge step backwards!
    If you look at the 8J transmitter manual, on page twelve it explains how you can use an alternative battery pack that Futaba sells that is rechargeable, FUTM1473 Futaba HT5F1700B NiMH 5C 6V Tx Battery. The transmitter uses a standard Futaba style power connector inside the battery compartment.
    J F Sohm - AMA# 192350 - IMAA# 15145
    If you're not catching any flak, you're not over the target.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John, maybe I am wrong, but I think most experienced fliers would prefer rechargable packs as standard issue. That may be OK on a 4 ch unit, but just looks cheap on an 8 ch unit. I guess they wanted to stress the value point!
    Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ma_mulcahy

Another question...... is there a simple explanation for the difference between Futaba's FASST and FHSST? It seems the FH is finding it's way to the newer, lower priced radios while FA is on the higher priced radios. A casual look at the Futaba website did not reveal any of the differences.
    FH recievers are cheaper to produce therefore its aimed for the lesser priced market systems.

They both work.

Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FWIW, I'm flying a Futaba 9C on 72 Mhz and no intention of switching to 2.4 ghz. No reason to, at least where I fly.

If your radios are new, and have the Gold 1991 sticker on them, toss in some new batteries and fly them.

if you really want to get a new radio, id suggest one with memory so you can store different planes. As to brands, I'm a diehard Futaba flyer, but choose which ever radio you like.

one flyer in my club uses the cheap radio HK sells and loves it.

Just get out and fly!

Bill S.
    Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood #56
    Goldberg Tiger Club #17
    SIG Brotherhood #69

Ultra Sport Brotherhood #135
    http://radiocontrolhobbies.freeservers.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

Okay, so I'm getting beck into the hobby since having gotten away from it in the late 80's!!

I have 4 Futaba radios, all FM, so based upon what I read, resurrecting them is not a wise choice. Sucks because a couple were purchased and never even taken out of the box yet! (One 7 channel and the rest 6 channels).
    Don't believe everything your read!Β* Believing 72MHz is not a wise choice is like believeing WEB 2,0 is absolutely the way to go.Β* Don't get caught up in the hype - the best thing 2.4GHz has done for you is reduce the amount of conflict you'll have over a frequency pin!Β*[img][/img]
    You seem to forget the "accidents" caused by someone tuning on a radio in the same frequency somebody else was using... At the field, or a couple of miles away, that chased crashes... So, there is more than what you have just stated...

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

Don't believe everything your read!Β* Believing 72MHz is not a wise choice is like believeing WEB 2,0 is absolutely the way to go.Β* Don't get caught up in the hype - the best thing 2.4GHz has done for you is reduce the amount of conflict you'll have over a frequency pin!Β*[img][/img]
    You seem to forget the ''accidents'' caused by someone tuning on a radio in the same frequency somebody else was using... At the field, or a couple of miles away, that chased crashes... So, there is more than what you have just stated...

Gerry

Sorry, I meant to write "that caused crashes", my fingers are not helping here, they have a mind of their own.

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if you have not out flown a 7ch
    use it...............
    if batts did not leak or get hot, change them and use it
    if your fly field is not to big ......use it
    sounds like you have more radios than planes...........use it

when you need a program raido buy it
    only when you need 2.4 .........buy it
    or.. if you like new gadgets  buy it

i fly by myself , and use 4 fm and (1) 2.4
    when i fly i'm looking up , not at the radio
    Steve/Cub Brotherhood #155
    aint no rush like a near miss

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 72mhz band is not outlawed and no worry about the frequency pin.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Radio selection all boils down to "personal preference" I personally am not a slave to the "high dollar, over hyped equipment". I was looking for an economical solution to my problem because I had a dozen airplanes at that time. This is what I did.

So I took a huge risk over four years ago and bought a Turnigy 9x from HK. Cost do the door under 100.00. I also bought a couple of different module styles for my personal testing. Assan, FrSky, HK v1, and v2. Now four plus years later and hundreds of flights with electrics to my large gas airplanes. One year after buying the Turnigy I bought the FlySky radio off the bay (same as the Turnigy). I bought lipos to power both radios under 15.00 each. I am delighted with this setup and will continue to use them. Less than 400.00 in the two radios, over a dozen receivers of various types. It was a wise and economical solution.

This is my opinion based on facts and over four years of using them. I am happy with my decision and have reliable rock steady equipment.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

futaba 8FGS

/thread

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would look for the radio that has the most conditions.
    Dwayne

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Ya know, you can still use those transmitters. Several guys in the club are still on 72mhz. My ATI B-17 is still 72mhz.
    Edwin
    Ok..........this is what I was searching for. "Several guys in the club are still on 72mhz". I am too. So exactly why should I spend hundreds of dollars to go to 2.4? Have been searching for an answer to this question for a few years now and can never get a satisfactory answer.

72Mhz works just fine and I'll stick with it. I'll soon have a limited monthly income and won't have the money to foolishly waste on replacing 72Mhz equipement that works just fine.

"We’re retrieving the seed — then we’re done defending the humans."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it does what you need, and you're willing to accept the risk that goes with the pin/channel system, there's no reason to upgrade.

OTOH, if you attend lots of events, or demand the most from your equipment in terms of system response speed, or want features such as servo synch or model match then you may want to upgrade. Many larger events are moving to 2.4 only so as not to have to deal with the manpower and logistics of transmitter impound. That and I just dont trust people not to turn a radio on at a swap meet/fly in where a bunch of people I know nothing about are running around. Heck I've seen shoot downs by experienced modelers, everyone can make a mistake.

2.4 also eliminates most of the glitching/interference issues associated with 72mhz such as rubbing metal, gas ignition nosie etc.(though the downside of this is that some have become lazy in regards to installation practices)
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast