Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Radio Technology ????? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Checklst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Radio Technology ????? HELP!

Have to give thanks to my instructors(33years ago) back at The Muncie Sky Chiefs.....Muncie IN...I was at Ball State University at the time. They drilled checklst into my bones....Thanks Guys you have saved more than a few planes for me. I still have pile driven more than my share into the ground.......all my thumbs fault....you just never can tell if it's going to be the right thumb or the left!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:10 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Propworn
Along this line has anyone else noticed that with the 2.4 systems there seem to be fewer and fewer actually doing range checks? I have.

Dennis
This is very recognizable in my area. These 2.4 systems are so good that you will rarely see anyone range checking. I am in two clubs and I have only seen a couple range checks the entire year!

They grab the plane out of the car, van, truck, or trailer, slap the wings on, crank the engine and vroom they go. The only real check is a quick flip of the sticks to see if stuff is moving and that is about it. I think range checks will go the way of the dinosaur, if they have not already done so. The only checks will be making sure everything moves.

I admit I am not nearly as dilligent since I fly 2.4. I do check everything, but I don't run my plane way up to the end of the field and give it the long range check. If it is a new bird ready for a maiden then she will get checked thoroughly.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 AM
bjbellino
My Feedback: (176)

RCflyerguy, welcome back. Don't know if you are going to be part of a local club or not. Some one in the club can get you up to speed in no time. Best thing that has happened in the hobby is the new 2.4Ghz radios. Not rocket science, new radios just have a few more transmitter adjustments that make installing a radio and dialing in a plane much easier. Don't think 7ch radios are that much more expensive, but they are easier to sell if need be. And if you already have Futaba radios, then the analog servos you have will work with the new Futaba systems, but whatever system you decide on, good luck and good flying, Bob.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:15 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2.4 is a different breed of cat - compared to teh 72.xxx stuf we had for years .
The chip technology electronics does not 'drift' in tuning as the electronics using tuning coils etc., did.
a range check, tho important is not looking at the same potential problems
2.4 being digital , either works or it doesn't
the 72.xxx stuf could work at reduced tuning and power levels
Using 2.4 IF you do a proper and thorough range check on the new model - making sure you get solid operation with the model in all attitudes , the
range check will likely not be needed again - except to make sure something hasn't moved or connections or still proper.
The power check- battery power is far more important -
every setup is different - so learn what power your setup needs and make sure it is always correct.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 AM
Muttdog

I have stopped doing range checks because of a crash a year ago. It was exactly the day after Christmas (2011), I got a new ARF still in the box for Christmas and was so excited I wanted to fly my current plane. No one was there and that is what took me out of my routine. I have a JR 8303 converted to 2.4 with a FR Sky module (that has been extremely reliable). The range test procedure is to hold a button down to activat the low power mode. I did the range test and everything was fine so Iwalked back. No one was flying to Ijust grabbed the plane and put her on the runway not thinking that I never turned off the low power mode. Normally I shut everything down and wait for my turn.When you turn off the radio it automatically drops out of range test mode but because Inever turned it off, the low power setting was still active. The plane got off the runway and as Iturned left the motor power dropped and I had no control. It was obvious that the failsafe was kicking in. It recovered for about 2 seconds and Irealized something was amiss so I tried to trurn back towards the field and lost her for good this time. Now I range test newly built planes at my house where I put the plane in a closed room and walk outside the house in low power mode. Then I will do it once more at the field but never again.

There was only one mention of using a conversion module and I was surpised about that. Perhaps there are some downsides for top experts but for the rest of us it works just fine. You also do not need to have a module based radio as there are conversions available for non modules that are cheap and easy to install yourself. This opens you up to inexpensive chinese options that are proven reliable. I use FRSky ( from hobbyking)in 3 of my planes now for over 2 years with zero glitches. I got the radio in a trade deal and really liked it so converting it to 2.4 was a no brainer. I know many are concerned with the Quality of Chinese radio products but if you do your research you will find there are many good ones out there. Research is the key here but I can attest to the reliability of FR sky. It also has telemetry and will notify me when receiver batts are low and if signal is lost or partially lost at times. My plan was to use the Spectrum 2.4 conversion and was willing to accept thehigh price until Isaw how much Spectrum receivers were. Now you can use Orange Rxreceivers but at the time it was not an option. Keep those old radios and convert them.Just my .02
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Muttdog

I have stopped doing range checks because of a crash a year ago. It was exactly the day after Christmas (2011), I got a new ARF still in the box for Christmas and was so excited I wanted to fly my current plane. No one was there and that is what took me out of my routine. I have a JR 8303 converted to 2.4 with a FR Sky module (that has been extremely reliable). The range test procedure is to hold a button down to activat the low power mode. I did the range test and everything was fine so I walked back. No one was flying to I just grabbed the plane and put her on the runway not thinking that I never turned off the low power mode. Normally I shut everything down and wait for my turn. When you turn off the radio it automatically drops out of range test mode but because I never turned it off, the low power setting was still active. The plane got off the runway and as I turned left the motor power dropped and I had no control. It was obvious that the failsafe was kicking in. It recovered for about 2 seconds and I realized something was amiss so I tried to trurn back towards the field and lost her for good this time. Now I range test newly built planes at my house where I put the plane in a closed room and walk outside the house in low power mode. Then I will do it once more at the field but never again.

There was only one mention of using a conversion module and I was surpised about that. Perhaps there are some downsides for top experts but for the rest of us it works just fine. You also do not need to have a module based radio as there are conversions available for non modules that are cheap and easy to install yourself. This opens you up to inexpensive chinese options that are proven reliable. I use FR Sky ( from hobbyking) in 3 of my planes now for over 2 years with zero glitches. I got the radio in a trade deal and really liked it so converting it to 2.4 was a no brainer. I know many are concerned with the Quality of Chinese radio products but if you do your research you will find there are many good ones out there. Research is the key here but I can attest to the reliability of FR sky. It also has telemetry and will notify me when receiver batts are low and if signal is lost or partially lost at times. My plan was to use the Spectrum 2.4 conversion and was willing to accept thehigh price until I saw how much Spectrum receivers were. Now you can use Orange Rx receivers but at the time it was not an option. Keep those old radios and convert them. Just my .02
I have had an XP9303, with a Spektrum module, since 2007. I am not as diligent about doing Range Checks as I was with 72Mhz. One of the Spektrum advantages is the Flight Logger Tool. With that connected to your Rx, you can do your Range Check and not have to rely totally on erratic movement of the control surfaces to indicate a Range problem. It tells you the number of Fades, for each antenna, the number of Frame Losses, and the number of Holds (Failsafe Events). My DX8, with Telemetry, sends that data directly to the Tx, which is even more convenient.

By the way, when doing Range Checks with a Spektrum module or Tx, The Low Power/Bind Button is a Momentary Switch, so when you let go of it, you are at Full Power. I have nothing against the 3rd party modules available for modular radios like the XP9303, but I do not understand why your module was designed with a Low Power switch that was not Momentary.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 AM
AA5BY

The new XG8 has a large high intensity LED up front that blinks when in low power range check mode... can't miss it.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 AM
pilotpete2

+1
I have a Spektrum DM8 for BNF stuff, and had a Futaba TM-8 for my old 9C. In both cases you have to press and hold the button to stay in range check mode.
Pete
Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 AM
rmh

The FRSky ACCOST module does have a button on the module - which is held until it changes from red to green- then a low volume beep beep continues while the range check is being done - IF during the check - there is a signal loss , a louder beep sounds - all very easy to recognize.
The system works very well
If you turn the tx off - it drops back to normal mode -
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Red B.

Here in Europe, THE radio to have at the moment is the JETI DC-16 and the soon to come JETI DS-16.
All over Europe JETI has a dead-solid reputation for reliability and the transmitters are top quality with CNC-milled casings, Hall effect sensors instead of potentiometers for the sticks etcetera. They are obviously built to last.
yes, it's very nice to see a manufacturer putting in a major effort to make real high quality hardware. with the other brands the top end models just replace the painted plastic face panel with cast magnesium....everything else stays the same old plastic garbage. IMO the jetis are the only high end radios on the market that actually justify their price.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 AM
ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Every year, technology advances exponentially. ''Built to Last'' means work as designed until newer models, with newer hardware, become necessary to take advantage of the newer technology. Firmware updates can only take you so far. I would expect that from now on, I would be purchasing a replacement transmitter every 3 years.

Look at Personal Computers. You only get perhaps 2 or 3 firmware updates in the first few years of a new computer's life and then there is nothing more for that model.

People are not going to be using the same transmitter for 5-10 years like they used to.
our transmitters shouldn't really be compared to computers. every time there is an advancement in PC hardware it allows the software guys to add more bloat...until they go to far and the hardware guys have to add more power...wash, rinse and repeat. with our radios the objective has been the same for decades: make little servo motors on the other end of the link move in unison with our stick movements.

i've been using the same radio for 5 years already with regular firmware updates. actually it's just the case that i've been using that long, the basic electronics design has been in use for 10 years. in the very near future i will upgrade the case design again with better gimbals but the electronics will not change.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:35 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: Red B.

Here in Europe, THE radio to have at the moment is the JETI DC-16 and the soon to come JETI DS-16.
All over Europe JETI has a dead-solid reputation for reliability and the transmitters are top quality with CNC-milled casings, Hall effect sensors instead of potentiometers for the sticks etcetera. They are obviously built to last.
yes, it's very nice to see a manufacturer putting in a major effort to make real high quality hardware. with the other brands the top end models just replace the painted plastic face panel with cast magnesium....everything else stays the same old plastic garbage. IMO the jetis are the only high end radios on the market that actually justify their price.
The worth of a product is determined by performance in the market place
The marketplace is constantly in a state of flux- it remains to be seen ,how this rather unique radio appeals .

Not long ago - I would only consider the JR line -maybe some Futaba models
Now the JR is second place for me - and Futabas' lineup has moved further on down the line .
Five years from now - perhaps the entire line up will again change . As for plastic faced models - Have you looked at the latest very expensive autos on the market?
Tastes and opinions constantly change.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:15 AM
AA5BY

Well... I'm one happy user... but I've always been quite content, even when adjusting control linkages on three airplanes to match one fixed transmitter. Of course, I'd not be happy about doing that again... but I was then.

Ya can't miss what you've never known, eh. I was fairly content with a JR 7202 until recently upgrading to a JR XG8. I don't want to go back.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Checklst

Like the full size finding a routine that leaves nothing to chance is a mater of survival. Find a system that works for you and make it something you do each and every time and you will find your brain farts will be far and few between. Along this line has anyone else noticed that with the 2.4 systems there seem to be fewer and fewer actually doing range checks? I have.
Dennis
I do a few range checks on first flight day..............Any adjustment to throttle ect......I do a re-bind followed by another range check on first flight day........after that I only range check if I change something in the plane like,servo,batts,servo wires control rod ect..........

I also have added a full throttle test..........shut off radio test to my checklist, just to make sure the throttle returns to failsafe Idle....so far failsafe has done its job.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

One of these guys who think only the stuff he owns is worth anything! It’s so great I can see all the other manufacturers just wringing their hands. Good lord get a grip the bloody thing looks like ya need either a shelf or a full 5 point harness just to keep it in front of ya? Just because it happens to have parts made on a CNC does not make it any better than any other radio. You want to pay more for some guy to spend time machining your radio go right ahead I’m happy for ya! Only a complete ignoramus or a two year old yips "My stuff is better than your stuff" What next your dad going to beat up my dad. Looking down that long skinny nose with contempt at others who just happen to fly so called plastic junk must endear you the rest of the modelers. YEP YEP YEP I can see it now "We are not worthy" "We are not worthy.[:'(][:'(][:'(]

Dennis
Old 01-15-2013, 02:48 PM
ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: rmh

The marketplace is constantly in a state of flux- it remains to be seen ,how this rather unique radio appeals .

no, no, no, marketing is the only thing that determines how well a product does in the market place. how well a product is made has absolutely nothing to do with it.

face it, the jeti is innovative. everyone else is content to keep using the same old $1 pots because they do seem to do the job reasonably well. 10 years ago when i messed around with magnets and hall sensors i came to the same conclusion as well....but today the sensors have gotten a lot better and there's no issue with finding the proper magnets. probably cost's jeti the same as pots would but we're never going to be hearing about pots that wear out prematurely like with some other brands.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:00 PM
AA5BY

I've been doing RC planes for thirty nine years and have never heard of a TX pot wearing out though admittedly, I've not seen it all. I did see a guy chuck his Tx in the open trunk of his car once while the plane was still aloft... he had yanked a snap roll and broke the plastic gimble mounts and the whole stick assembly fell into the transmitter case.... but that was back in the day when the case was aluminum and it seems we were told a couple of days ago that those old aluminum cases were superior.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM
ZAGNUT

One of these guys who think only the stuff he owns is worth anything! It’s so great I can see all the other manufacturers just wringing their hands. Good lord get a grip the bloody thing looks like ya need either a shelf or a full 5 point harness just to keep it in front of ya? Just because it happens to have parts made on a CNC does not make it any better than any other radio. You want to pay more for some guy to spend time machining your radio go right ahead I’m happy for ya! Only a complete ignoramus or a two year old yips ''My stuff is better than your stuff'' What next your dad going to beat up my dad. Looking down that long skinny nose with contempt at others who just happen to fly so called plastic junk must endear you the rest of the modelers. YEP YEP YEP I can see it now ''We are not worthy'' ''We are not worthy.[:'(][:'(][:'(]

Dennis
sheesh, where the hell did that come from? i don't own a jeti and never will. and nowhere did i mention CNC. just commenting on what i think of the whole radio market in general.

and yes, if i was spending something like 1K on a radio i would much rather it go towards quality hardware from a small manufacturer than to fund the marketing campaign of some big corporation.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:06 PM
ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

I've been doing RC planes for thirty nine years and have never heard of a TX pot wearing out though admittedly, I've not seen it all. I did see a guy chuck his Tx in the open trunk of his car once while the plane was still aloft... he had yanked a snap roll and broke the plastic gimble mounts and the whole stick assembly fell into the transmitter case.... but that was back in the day when the case was aluminum and it seems we were told a couple of days ago that those old aluminum cases were superior.
then look at the recent mess with the pots on the high end futabas. i have also worn out pots in the past. i have also had the gimbals of a metal cased airtronics module 7SP fall apart like you describe. the old futaba FG gimbals were far superior.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: rmh

no, no, no, marketing is the only thing that determines how well a product does in the market place. how well a product is made has absolutely nothing to do with it.

face it, the jeti is innovative. everyone else is content to keep using the same old $1 pots because they do seem to do the job reasonably well. 10 years ago when i messed around with magnets and hall sensors i came to the same conclusion as well....but today the sensors have gotten a lot better and there's no issue with finding the proper magnets. probably cost's jeti the same as pots would but we're never going to be hearing about pots that wear out prematurely like with some other brands.
Marketing is not simply an ad in a magazine
it involves EVERYTHING about the product and the potential market for it
price- quality - reliability- innovation- timing - etc. are all important .
A product which is believed superior to the others yet does not sell or succeed in the marketplaceis just another also ran-
Old 01-16-2013, 04:31 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe this is true, yet in my purchases it is not true. Granted marketing is a large part and certainly gives us light as to what the product is all about or what new things are coming down the pike, however I am one of those guys that simply does not buy into hype at any level.

McDonalds markets the mess out of their food products and most of their food still taste like paper, so I don't buy from them. Maybe I am the exception to the rule and maybe their marketing determines how well their products do. Again their marketing means nothing to me.

I learned a long time ago the falsehoods of marketing ploys and the fasle logic advertisers use to bait folks. All the marketing in the world will not make a McDonalds burger taste any better. What will make it taste better is better meat which for the sake of profit they aren't going down that road.

I usually buy an item based on working with un-biased reviews (if you can find them) and my peers and user usage. All of this requires much research which I do and even though it is time consuming, for me it is worth it and there is an added plus - I learn a lot from the additional research.

Features play a large role for me as well. Radios are the same for me. I like most of the radios out there, yet there are a few features that work well for my liking. As I mentioned before, Model Match is a very nice feature for me. Does it somehow make the radio far superior than the others? Not really, just works for me.

Most of the radios I have, have been purchased used and are home runs for me. Never a glitch and flawless performers so far after around a 1000 fligths (guestimate, but probably much higher). If it is a solid performer that is more important than Model Match as I can learn new habits. I was fortunate to get used radios that have the Model Match feature.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 AM
ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Maybe this is true, yet in my purchases it is not true. Granted marketing is a large part and certainly gives us light as to what the product is all about or what new things are coming down the pike, however I am one of those guys that simply does not buy into hype at any level.

McDonalds markets the mess out of their food products and most of their food still taste like paper, so I don't buy from them. Maybe I am the exception to the rule and maybe their marketing determines how well their products do. Again their marketing means nothing to me.

I learned a long time ago the falsehoods of marketing ploys and the fasle logic advertisers use to bait folks. All the marketing in the world will not make a McDonalds burger taste any better. What will make it taste better is better meat which for the sake of profit they aren't going down that road.

I usually buy an item based on working with un-biased reviews (if you can find them) and my peers and user usage. All of this requires much research which I do and even though it is time consuming, for me it is worth it and there is an added plus - I learn a lot from the additional research.

Features play a large role for me as well. Radios are the same for me. I like most of the radios out there, yet there are a few features that work well for my liking. As I mentioned before, Model Match is a very nice feature for me. Does it somehow make the radio far superior than the others? Not really, just works for me.

Most of the radios I have, have been purchased used and are home runs for me. Never a glitch and flawless performers so far after around a 1000 fligths (guestimate, but probably much higher). If it is a solid performer that is more important than Model Match as I can learn new habits. I was fortunate to get used radios that have the Model Match feature.
yep, buying used because the original owner just HAS to upgrade is a great way to get perfectly good equipment for what it is ACTUALLY worth....the marketing folks see you as the enemy
Old 01-16-2013, 06:14 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

I go to McDonalds because I love the taste of their burgers (much better than Culvers, Steak and Shake, Wendy's, Burger King), their fries (only thing better is Culvers), their breakfasts (best around!), their McRibs. The only issue is that I don't like their seasoning mix, so I order my burgers "no salt" (it also means they have to cook it, so I get fresher food...)

It wouldn't bother me if they had any other name. I don't go their for the play place or in hopes of seeing a fiberglass Ronald. I go for the food!

Andy
Old 01-16-2013, 06:23 AM
[email protected]

i have 10 futaba radios all 6 channels all around 20 yrs old all work good have 10 planes each radio and planes have numbers on them so i dont get them mixed up all on 72>most guys fly 2.4 at my field and i have no trouble > just fly anytime i want to> now iam 80 and no need to change over> no need for me to keep up with the > jones
Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

I don't have to rely on Marketing to choose which Fast Food place I go to. I can afford to try them all and decide which one I like best. Considering the cost of an RC radio, I can't afford to buy them all and sell the ones I do not like.

When I buy an RC radio, I can go to an LHS, a Trade Show, or my Local Flying Field to get my hands on one. I can read Reviews and participate in forums like this one. I can never really know whether a particular model of RC radio will fully meet my needs until I have used it for months. I don't like to go out and buy a product when it first comes out on the market until I hear how it is performing.

Because of the proprietary nature of 2.4 radios, I tend to stay with the one I have the most invested in, because it costs a bundle to switch brands. I had to do this when switching from 72Mhz to 2.4. The quality of the products, service, support, and warranty, has kept me loyal to Spektrum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.