Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hitec HS-225MG and 6.6v A123

Hi, I've searched a little and found some opinions about this but I felt I'd ask again for more current opinions.

I'm planning on using a HS-225MG for the throttle on the 1/4 scale cub I'm building. I'm looking at going with a 6.6v A123 for my flight battery and was wondering if I should worry about any problems since they're only rated through 6.0v. I don't really want to put a reg in this plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hitec HS-225MG and 6.6v A123

ORIGINAL: Neddy191 Hi, I've searched a little and found some opinions about this but I felt I'd ask again for more current opinions.
    I'm planning on using a HS-225MG for the throttle on the 1/4 scale cub I'm building. I'm looking at going with a 6.6v A123 for my flight battery and was wondering if I should worry about any problems since they're only rated through 6.0v. I don't really want to put a reg in this plane.
    . Servo - Operating Voltage Range - (Hitec) usuage with NiMH, Lipol & A123 batteries.
    "20Jan2012:
    A123 Update
    "Any Hitec standard size servo can be used with unregulated A123's. - Mike."

Not withstanding the higher the voltage, the higher the servo speed and shorter overall life of any servo.

Much more information available under sub section:
    "Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs, Convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ."
    below
    "Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
    Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.

R/C hobby consultant for various companies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Unless they changed something I would not I failed two right off charge with 5 cell nicads afew years agp. Other club members have done the same

My 2cents

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Neddy191

Hi, I've searched a little and found some opinions about this but I felt I'd ask again for more current opinions.

I run all my Hitecs (probably 60 of them in service between 12 airplanes I fly) on 6.6 LiFe chemistry. I have 225BB & 225MG running every weekend on 6.6v with not a single issue. Juts my 2 cents.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A "6v" rating means its good for 5 cell NiCad/NiMH

It will be fine on A123
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have now had 4 out of 4 HS225MGs fail. My advice is don't use them on a critical control surface. Throttle is OK. I don't know for sure that my failures were related to voltage, but I was using a 5 cell NiMH pack in each case.
    Glow Head #6, UltraSport #70

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JPMacG I have now had 4 out of 4 HS225MGs fail. My advice is don't use them on a critical control surface.
    Throttle is OK. I don't know for sure that my failures were related to voltage, but I was using a 5 cell NiMH pack in each case
    Unusual to have so many stop working if not age related, the following might assist with diagnosis/repair:
    . Servo - Burnout. Cause & Prevention
    . Servo - FAQ : Metal Gear Servos - DIY Repair & Extend MG Servo Gear Life

More information available under sub sections
    "Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures"
    "Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs, Convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ."
    below
    "Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
    Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
    R/C hobby consultant for various companies