Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Convert to Life battery packs for Rx?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Droiddr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert to Life battery packs for Rx?

Hi,

I just bought an avistar elite from great planes (.46 glow). It has a tactic rx. It has a battery holder for 4 aa and the plane came with Alkaline batteries ( I will chuck it most likely)

I will also build a 4 star forty with HS-425BB hitec servors (most likely)
I have a spektrum dx7s.
I intend to put an AR400 rx into the four-star

My extra 300 .46 from 10 years ago has HS-425BB servos. I will also put a AR400 Rx in it to replace the old 72 Mhz hitec Rx.

Should I stick to tried and true 4 cell NIcads that generate 4.8V or should I buy LiFe packs at 6.6V? (Thinking of Hobbico packs 1300 mah)
Is there a risk of failure of servos, especially on the 10 year old HS-425BB servos on the extra300?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:47 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Convert to Life battery packs for Rx?

The HS-425BB servos are rated for 6v so your good to go for LiFe batteries should you choose. You don't want 4.8v with that receiver for concern about brown outs.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Droiddr

Hi,

I just bought an avistar elite from great planes (.46 glow). It has a tactic rx. It has a battery holder for 4 aa and the plane came with Alkaline batteries ( I will chuck it most likely)

I will also build a 4 star forty with HS-425BB hitec servors (most likely)
I have a spektrum dx7s.
I intend to put an AR400 rx into the four-star

My extra 300 .46 from 10 years ago has HS-425BB servos. I will also put a AR400 Rx in it to replace the old 72 Mhz hitec Rx.

Should I stick to tried and true 4 cell NIcads that generate 4.8V or should I buy LiFe packs at 6.6V? (Thinking of Hobbico packs 1300 mah)
Is there a risk of failure of servos, especially on the 10 year old HS-425BB servos on the extra300?
I have been flying RC for many years and switched over from NiMh to Lithium Rx batteries as I gained experience with them. I used 2cell LiPo Rx batteries with a regulator, for a time, and then switched to A123/LiFe Rx packs. Of course, you need the proper charger. I use the FMA 4S and 10S chargers. Unlike NiMh and LiPo Rx packs, LiFe voltage stays at 6.6v from just after charging until they are fully discharged, so monitoring with an ESV does not help determine when to recharge. Keep track of the time they are in use. They charge fast so you could charge in between flights and stay at the field forever.

I have an aircraft that uses JR 791 Retract servos, which are only compatible with 5v. Even though I use LiFe Rx packs, I use a 5v regulator on this aircraft. There are $5 regulators that can be used Inline with a servo so you can run unregulated 6.6v to all servos except the ones that require 5v.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

+1, LiFe or better, genuine A123 cells will work just fine.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Droiddr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,

I think many people like the hitec 425BB, even though I will use a spektrum Rx, I think it does not matter. I suspected they would ok with a life pack, I was worried that the .6 V extra could be a problem or reduce their durability. If you consider a 5 cell nicad, the voltage will be at or above 6.6 for an non-negligeable amount of time ( a few minutes?) before stabilizing at around 6. So if people are running ok with 5 cell NIcads, tehy should be fine with life packs. Thanks for confirming, I was trying to make sure it was a good move.
I read some about Life cells. They last as long or longer then Nicads, are environment safe and are not dangerous. Apparently they can be drained pretty far without damage. The only thing I see is not over-charging them or they go bad. They really sounds like a great candidate for Rx packs.

Now I want a decent charger, as I will possibly convert my extra300 to electric power with Lipo batteries.
I am looking for let's say a dual charger that can do it all (nicad, nimh, lead-acid, lipo, life). I also want it to be Ac/Dc or only DC (add power supply). I want decent quality without breaking the bank. SOOOO many choices
I will check out the FMA. Any other suggestions?

I will try the hobbico life pack at 1300mah and perhaps buy a a123 2 cell pack on ebay or something. I have see genuine A123 2 cell packs for around 25-30$.
Any suggestions on places to buy decent life packs (A123 and not)?

Thanks again!