Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 12 channel

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 01:34 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Futaba 12 channel

Any more news or rumors on the availability of this radio?
Old 09-16-2003, 07:44 AM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 12 channel

Yes. I'm first in line to get one!

I hope they come up with one soon. Those pizza boxes are looking nicer and nicer, but I don't feel the need to switch brands yet...
Old 09-16-2003, 08:37 AM
Steve Campbell2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By now, one of the pre-production prototypes is in the US for evaluation by the factory guys.

I was told the plan is to announce it at Toledo next year. The source of that information is impeccable, but the factory will do what the factory will do, so take it with a grain of salt.

FWIW, this radio is aimed squarely at the jet and scale guys. That's about the last bastion JR has, since the 9Z doesn't have enough channels for serious scalers/jet flyers.

Sport flyers, both heli & plank, are well-served by the 9Z. I know I have no plans to replace mine. But this new radio is being eagerly awaited by lots of folks. From what I was told, it will do everything but fly the model for you.

Should be interesting...

Steve
Old 09-16-2003, 09:15 AM
mr_matt

Thanks for the feedback

If it is not unitl Toledo I will probabaly have my 16 channel going by then.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:45 AM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Thanks for the info Steve. I'm not sure who you are, but you seem to have some positive info...

Matt, is your 16ch radio something you're building, or a mod of an existing radio?
Old 09-16-2003, 09:57 AM
mr_matt

Building
Old 09-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Steve Campbell2

Ron,

Believe me, the source is as good as it gets. But all he knows is what Futaba tells him. Since he is an employee of the company, I suppose his information is reasonably accurate...

Steve
Old 09-16-2003, 06:36 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Steve, I hope you're right about this. I love my 9C, but 8+1 channels just don't go very far these days, and not just for scale/jet guys either. With all the quad flaps and multiple servos per control function, one can eat up channels in a jiffy. I have 4 planes that max out their 8ch Futaba FM receivers, and that's with the use of Y-cords too. Sure manufacturers are coming up with patch jobs like the Matchbox, but it's far easier to do it within the TX-RX link.

The 9Z is still a very formidable radio, but the programming is showing its age. I got a hold of a brand new 9ZH a while back, but decided to let it go. If I were a heli pilot, then the accelerated frame rate would have been an advantage over my 9C. I wish Futaba would have updated the 9Z software to incorporate 9C's newer mixing flexibility. I'll wait for the 12ch. 16ch would be even better. C'mon, how hard could it be?

I'm not even looking at the Pizza boxes. They don't got 50MHz - I don't buy.[:'(]
Old 09-17-2003, 07:32 AM
Steve Campbell2

<<...Pizza boxes...>>

I assume you're referring to MultiPlex?

As for the 9Z's programming "showing its age", when you're almost totally computer-illiterate, that doesn't matter!

It ALL looks strange to me; but I didn't have any trouble transitioning from the JR PCM-10 interface to the 9Z. And I think I have FINALLY found something that the 9Z won't allow me to; or, at least, do it the way I want it done. I was beginning to wonder if that would ever happen.

Have no fear; the 12 channel Futaba is a reality. You'll just have to be patient; I'm sure they want to get it right before it is released. Again, I was told that Toledo next year is the target date; could be before, could be after.

Steve
Old 09-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Volfy

Steve, yes, I was refering to Multiplex. I assume Ron was too.

As for the 9Z, one of my biggest concerns was that it does not allow me to retain programmed mixes on the 9Z when it's used as a master TX with a trainer cord to another TX. This means that I cannot let others fly my quad-flap planes on buddy box, unless the other radio is also a 9Z. Since this is purely a software thing, I think Futaba could have updated the firmware to do this. Still, I much prefer Futaba spending their R&D money on the new flagship radio, though.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:46 PM
Steve Campbell2

I have used my 9Z as a master since the day I had it, with a SkySport 4 channel as the slave and a Sig LT-40 and Four Star 40. It would NOT work when I tried to use the Something Extra (five channels/flaperons, each roll servo on its own channel). I just assumed that was because the slave was a four channel radio.

Now, with your information, I wonder if my plan to use a Futaba five-channel entry-level heli radio as a slave, for heli training, is gonna fly...

Hope so; I darn sure am not gonna buy another 9Z. Oh, well; at worst, I'll have to stay with five channels and use revo mix for the tail instead of the gyro program. I still remember how to do that, but these heading hold gyros and dedicated programs in the transmitter software will certainly make one lazy.

Steve
Old 09-17-2003, 05:20 PM
Volfy

I'm not a heli pilot so I would have to claim ignorance on that, sorry.

What I do know is that 9Z does not differenciate between "channel" and "function" - that is, between "ch.1,2,3,4..." and "aileron,elevator,throttle,rudder..." as far as the trainer cord input is concerned. This means that the student TX input cannot be treated as "gimble inputs" only. The newer 9C is able to do this, which allows any cheap ol' Futaba 4ch TX to buddy box with my 9C and fly my 8 ch. quad flap airplane. The student radio provides the 4 main stick controls, and the 9C maintains all mix programming. I can even switch different mixes in and out on my 9C, while the student TX is flying my plane! Works great!

This is not to say the 9C is a superior TX to the 9Z, which has the much more powerful "conditions" programming. Plus, compared side-by-side, the quality of the 9Z makes the 9C looks like a Radio Shack toy TX. I would have kept the 9Z and sold my 9C if I don't ever need to let others fly my planes via buddy box. Unfortunately, I am a lefite and fly Mode 4, so I can't exactly hand over my TX to a fellow club mate to fly.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:57 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, that makes sense (conditions vs function). There are three 9Cs at my field, but none are used for buddy boxing. That's a good radio, BTW. But you already knew that....

Steve
Old 09-18-2003, 11:36 AM
mr_matt

Hi Steve,

Did you hear the one about them being 2048 radios?

I cannot figure out how they could do 2048 on all 12 channels so they must be handling different channels differently?
Old 09-18-2003, 02:04 PM
LSP972

Dunno about that part, Matt. It never came up in the discussion.

I'll ask with him next time I speak with him.

Steve
Old 07-30-2004, 07:20 AM
woodscra

Do you have any more inormation Steve? It has been a long time since the last bit of information, surely something more is known.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2004, 08:18 AM
LSP972

Sorry, no. I was told basically to shut up about this topic. Seems The Empire got upset; this is a big industrial secret, you see, and the future success of The Empire apparently hinges on the success/failure of this new radio...

These boneheads wear me out. This isn't the Manhattan Project, and besides the word has been out for a long time. Everybody knows the radio is coming. Back when this thread began there were at least a half-dozen guys on this forum wanting a new radio but needing more channels. I was only trying to help promote Futaba products.

But it will be a cold day in hell before I do that again. The whole episode pissed me off, and embarassed my friend who had to make that call to me. The only thing I can figure is that "they" are worried about losing a few last-minute 9Z sales.

Volfy, stand by for a PM. Got a few questions re 9Z/9C buddy box issues.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:24 AM
mulligan

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

These boneheads wear me out. This isn't the Manhattan Project,...
Got that right. No offense to the EE guys, but how long should it take for a company like Futaba to put together a bigger, better RF mousetrap?? It's been a couple of years since we first floated this lead balloon, and now it'll be another couple of years before it sees the light of day??!! Sheeez.

I build power plants for a living, and it only takes 2-3 years from go to lights on. This is absurd.

By the time Futaba gets this thing to market, we'll have technology elsewhere to fly our planes via thought control.

Thanks much for the update though, Steve. If it helps you/your friend any, I (and I suspect others) would not have bought a 9Z now anyway with the expectation of an eventual Futaba 12 channel and/or other brands available. Many will go to MPX or JR, some will hold out for a Futaba 12-channel.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:31 AM
woodscra

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:52 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I can't understand why there is no sign of a 12 channel from Futaba. Some other brands have had 12 channel sets on the market since at least 1995, it is not a difficult thing to do, and the call for more channels for so many large models and jets has been there for a few years now. Could it be that Futaba is only interested in radios that will sell in huge numbers to fixed wing and heli fliers simultaneously?
Old 07-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I asked Bax here on the forums about a month ago on the Futaba 12 channel. Again, got the same "we cannot release any information".

If not I am sure JR is going to be making a 12 channel radio too.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:30 PM
HarryC

If not I am sure JR is going to be making a 12 channel radio too.
JR has been making a 12 channel radio for at least 7 years, in fact JR now makes two 12 channel radios! Bet you hadn't realised that. Graupner radios are graupner spec, but they are made by JR. So JR knows jolly well how to make 12 channel radios, they just choose not to do it under their own label.

The Graupner MX-22 is shown below, it's a 12 channel radio made by JR to graupner's spec. Does it look familiar? Compare it to the 9 channel JR 9X shown below the MX-22!! For some reason the Japanese just do not want you to have 12 channel radios whereas the Germans, Multiplex and JR/Graupner, have been making them for years

H.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26657.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	159033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99481.gif
Views:	14
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	159034  
Old 07-30-2004, 06:21 PM
Ed_Moorman

Some of you radio experts refresh my memory. As I recall you can only get 9 channels on FM PPM on the normal Asian radios. If you want 10 or more you must go to PCM. Is this correct?

I do have a 12 channel Multiplex, but that's a different story. You can't get 12 channels from it unless you use the Multiplex receiver.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:24 AM
HarryC

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

Some of you radio experts refresh my memory. As I recall you can only get 9 channels on FM PPM on the normal Asian radios. If you want 10 or more you must go to PCM. Is this correct?

I do have a 12 channel Multiplex, but that's a different story. You can't get 12 channels from it unless you use the Multiplex receiver.
You can't get 9 channels on Futaba PPM, only 8 channels. Their 9th so-called channel is only on PCM and is a 1 bit, 2 position channel. You can't get more than 10 channels on any Asian radio, the JR10 is the max.

You don't have to use just Multiplex 12 channel Rx to get 12 from an Mpx Tx. You could use a JR 12 channel Rx (with a Graupner badge on it) but JR/Graupner does not do the data compression that Mpx does to speed up the refresh rate so you have to manually adjust the centres of every channel in the Mpx Tx. No Asian brand makes 12 channel stuff under their own label which is why you can't get anything other than Mpx or JR/Graupner 12 channel Rx.

H.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:42 AM
GJr.
My Feedback: (3)

Harry is correct. In Europe you can get a 12 channel JR built Graupner specified radio, MC 22, MC 24, and MX 22. They use a 10 channel PCM receiver or a dual conversion 12 channel PPM receiver. You can also use the Multiplex 12 channel IPD receiver with those three transmitters.
In the USA, you can get a 12 channel Multiplex radio, the Royal EVO and Profi 4000, if you can find one. You can also get the Graupner/JR MC 24 for 72mhz operation. The MC 24 will operate any JR receiver on 72 mhz, PCM or PPM. The only 12 channel receiver available for use with the MC 24 is the Multiplex 12 channel IPD, in the USA on 72 mhz. I believe there is a setting for the correct data transfer rate that is set for either the Graupner transmitter or for use with the Multiplex transmitter.
Rumor has it, that JR is working diligently on a new 'super' radio to replace the current JR 10 series. Supposedly, it will break new ground in certain areas, such as number of channels and type of data transmission. Only time will tell.
It would be nice to see more types of the products available in Europe. I like the idea of having fewer total number of models of radios. Instead, you can invest in a radio that can be upgraded and customized to suit your needs for whatever type of flying you do. Many of their radios allow customization of switches, location and functions. You can also upgrade the programming. Here in the USA, most radio vendors offera 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 channel systems. Just by reducing the sheer number of models to maybe four would save a lot of money in manufacturing cost as well as using a greater number of common parts. You could have a basic 4 channel thta could be upgrade to 6 or 7 channels. The same thing could be done with a basic 7 channel that can be expanded to 10. Then you culd have a 10 channel that could be expanded to the maximum. Graupner even offers both 'tray' style and 'handheld' transmitters with the same programming available.
It appears that many vendors in the USA do not think our market would buy those types of products. The problem with that thinking is you cannot buy what is not available. We are forced to buy what is offered. I personally look forward to some changes in the direction of radio equipment offered in the USA in the near future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.