Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Switches that fail in the "on" position?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 10:10 PM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switches that fail in the "on" position?

Guys,
I'm trying to remember who makes Rx switches that fail in the "on" position. I know I've seen a couple, but can't place them.
I am trying to set up a redundant switch in my plane, but don't want the extra weight of a second battery. Anyhow, thanks for any help.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:24 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Switches that fail in the "on" position?

It's called a Miracle Switch, it also has a built-in voltage regulator. Here is the link: http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-28.html

NO MORE CRASH DUE TO SWITCH FAILURE!!

This electronic Miracle Switch replaces the regular mechanical switch and includes a built in 6V regulator. Under normal condition, the switch functions like a regular switch. However, when the switch or its wires fail, the current continues to flow. the only way to turn it off under this condition is to disconnect the Rx battery pack.

Key Features:

Built in 6V regulator,
Input voltage: 4V - 7V,
Output Voltage: 6V,
Current: 5 Amp continues, 10 Amp Peak,
Idle Current: 3ma max,
Weight only 0.7oz
Available for Futaba, Hitec/JR, Airtronics
Old 09-16-2003, 01:39 PM
mr_matt

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Jaicco switch does the same thing. It is available from HOrizon....made by Jim Oddino in California
Old 09-16-2003, 03:44 PM
jtholley03
My Feedback: (4)

Default How about a link to the Jaicco one?

Put it in search on Horizon - no go.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:11 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

One of the best lookin' ones is the fromeco switch, there are two versoins, one regulated, the other is not regulated.... check out at
www.fromeco.org
or at
www.rcshowcase.com
I have one and it look so nice with the "remove before flight" banner on the flight line
Old 09-16-2003, 11:48 PM
mr_matt

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: How about a link to the Jaicco one?

CEL1251

IMHO they are the best , made by one of the legends in the hobby. I am buying 4 more tomorrow
Old 09-17-2003, 06:32 PM
knpjdad
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here another place to get them.

http://www.wtp.net/DBEST/centralhobbies/jcoreg.html
Old 09-18-2003, 01:00 AM
carbon wingnut

Hi All,

For the most part, when switches fail it is due to vibration, operator abuse/misuse, foreign matter, solder failure or bad solder joint, and or they just wear out. I am sure there are some special cases out there where maaaaaay-be a switch or two have catastrophically failed i.e. wiper arm some how departed from lead connections. Or the wiring to the switch some how was sliced (wire cutter style) in flight. I am sure this stuff has happened once or twice, and it is probable that the cause was poor set up and operator error in these very special instances.

Vibration is our biggest enemy. Vibration prematurely wears the wiper and contacts out, causing them to eventually lose some of their built-in spring tension allowing them to slide on their own. When and if this starts to happen, the results are never good, glitches, unexplained power loss, etc. etc. All situations that can be very hard to trouble shoot and diagnose. One market that we have really seen a huge boom in for solid state switches is the Heli market. These guys eat mechanical switches like body builders eat protein bars. Alot of them are starting to use solid state switches without a standard slider as an extra measure of protection.

Every once and awhile we will get a customer that has used our switches or is using our switches, and they want a standard type slider like you would get with a new radio system. If for some reason I can't talk them out of the standard slider, I will accommodate their request on one condition. That condition is that our switch is No Longer FAIL SAFE due the slider switch. Why you ask? Once the slider is added to equation the system is as fail safe as a normal switch with the exception of the special, I mean really special circumstances mentioned in paragraph 1.

When we first developed our Non-Regulated Reliaswitches 4 years ago, one of our sticking points was the method of on off. When we first designed it, we had originally spec'd out a standard slider. This posed a huge problem for us, when we looked at the two together, (solid state electronics, and switch slider) Military Intelligence, and Jumbo Shrimp came to mind. So we chose a different method.

I am not trying to say Jim O's switch is not a quality piece of equipment because it is. His switch is similar to our Regulated Reliaswitch, or I should say ours is similar to his as his came first. He goes about the electronics in a little different fashion than we do but in the end the same job gets done. His regulated switch will also handle slightly more amperage than our standard regulated switch. As to Maxx products I have no experience with them, so I can't comment on their quality.

My 3 cents

Kurt Cook
Fromeco Scale Avionics LLC
www.fromeco.org
[email protected]
Old 09-18-2003, 10:24 PM
Paul Cataldo

Matt,
What exactly is the CEL1251? THanks.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:39 PM
carbon wingnut

I know that you asked Matt this, but here is what a CEL1251 is, it is called the Perfect Switch, which I believe is a Jaccio Switch or Jim O switch under a different name. If I am wrong I have my nomex undies on so fire away. Ohh it is also a smoken deal at 56.and change.

Sorry I couldn't contain myself[:@]

here is the link
http://www.leisure-time.com/cel.htm

Kurt Cook
www.fromeco.org
[email protected]
Old 09-19-2003, 06:43 AM
Paul Cataldo

Anybody got another link? That website shows no pics, info, or anything. THanks.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:31 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Kurt,
I have one of your switch and it works quite nicely.

I have a question for you. I will be assembling a rather large aerobatic airplane which will use many heavy duty digital servos. Do you have a switch that can handle more then the norm in current.

Right now I have a toggle (25 amp) switch which works very nicely but would like to change this.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:01 PM
carbon wingnut

Hi Roger,

How are the Minron charger sales going, it is good to see you have gotten all of the pricing worked out.

We don't have anything that will handle 25amps, but we will do 9 amps, our super series of switches the Super Reliaswitch and Super Regulated Reliaswitch (http://www.fromeco.org/Reliaswitches.htm) will handle 9amps continuous current.

Roger the only way that we will sell a switch that we deem as being able to handle 9 amps continuous current is with 3 out put leads, if you want 6 amps continuous current then we will sell it with 2 out put leads. The import to the switch is 18awg with Anderson Power Poles. If some one wants a standard female battery lead we will do that but we won't stand behind the higher amp ratings.

We have had a few requests to use 18awg wire into a standard JR or Futaba connector, like some of the other switch manufactures do. We won't do this because it makes no sense to do so. To us, putting a standard connector on 18awg wire is like putting a slider switch on a FAIL SAFE switch.

I know this is more than you wanted Roger

PS I have an Idea for your customers wanting power supplies, e-mail me back channel if you want to hear it.

Kurt Cook
www.fromeco.org
[email protected]