Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Help me do some receiver battery math?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:39 PM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help me do some receiver battery math?

How are you calculating how much battery you need when you put together a receiver system? Used to be easy, 95% of the time it was the battery that came with your receiver ( I've been away from the hobby for a few ( ten ) years... )

( keep in mind I don't want to get into a NiCd/NiMH/LiPo/LiFe debate... I've read plenty on the pros and cons on each, I'm more interested now in doing out the math so I know I have enough of.. whatever... )

I see current drain stats readily available for receivers: for example
Futaba R617FS
Power Requirement: 4.8 - 6V Current Drain: 80mA (at no signal), 74 mA(w/ signal no servos on 4.8)

However I don't see any current ratings on there servos either on Futaba's site or servo wiki's...
( just grabbing a fairly common 3004 technotes here... )
http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wga...pgm?I=FUTM0004
http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/futaba/s3004

my assumption is you need to add up the MAX current drain under load of each servo, + the receiver draw + anything else connected up + fudge factor to get what you need in terms of current draw from your batteries.

so my questions are twofold
1. does that math seem right?
2. where are people finding the current ratings for different servos to do the above math?

Thanks for the help....

Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help me do some receiver battery math?

You cannot calculate the current drain of the servos. What you are doing will be way high of an estimate.
It just depends on the aircraft you fly and the way you fly.
Get one of those fancy chargers that will tell you how much current it takes to charge your battery.
Fully charge your battery then fly your plane. When you recharge your battery you will know how much current is used. If you keep track of your flight time you can calculate the current/minute
Old 02-11-2013, 07:08 PM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mattnew

How are you calculating how much battery you need when you put together a receiver system? Used to be easy, 95% of the time it was the battery that came with your receiver ( I've been away from the hobby for a few ( ten ) years... )

( keep in mind I don't want to get into a NiCd/NiMH/LiPo/LiFe debate... I've read plenty on the pros and cons on each, I'm more interested now in doing out the math so I know I have enough of.. whatever... )

I see current drain stats readily available for receivers: for example
Futaba R617FS
Power Requirement: 4.8 - 6V Current Drain: 80mA (at no signal), 74 mA(w/ signal no servos on 4.8)

However I don't see any current ratings on there servos either on Futaba's site or servo wiki's...
( just grabbing a fairly common 3004 technotes here... )
http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wga...pgm?I=FUTM0004
http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/futaba/s3004

my assumption is you need to add up the MAX current drain under load of each servo, + the receiver draw + anything else connected up + fudge factor to get what you need in terms of current draw from your batteries.

so my questions are twofold
1. does that math seem right?
2. where are people finding the current ratings for different servos to do the above math?

Thanks for the help....

If you have a Wattmeter or a Hangar 9 Current Meter, you can connect it between a servo and the Rx or between the Rx battery and the Rx. Exercise all the servos and you can get an idea of how much Current an individual servo uses or the entire system uses. I happen to have an FMA 10S charger that I use to charge Lithium batteries such as LiPo, LithIon, and LiFe Rx packs. I can compare the voltage after charging and the voltage/mah used after a flight and have a reasonable idea what the Current Draw is.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

capacity = current x time
Old 02-12-2013, 06:45 AM
mattnew

@dirtybirdy:   I respectfully disagree that you can't calculate or measure the current drain under load of your servos. I agree that the final estimate will be high. You'd want your battery to be able to handle a worst case scenario. or at least  1 or 2 sigma off from the worst case scenario. The way I read it with the current/new receivers is if you exceed the capabilities of your battery... you risk rebooting or losing the receiver connection since it wouldn't be provided with enough current to be adequately powered. You are right though... its likely all 8 servos in my plane will never be in a "worst case" scenario simultaneously... especially since one is on throttle and typically lightly loaded. 

@buschbarber: I'll take a look at that charger. that may at least give me an idea on the ground. I don't really like the idea of flying without knowing if you've adequately powered your receiver/servos though.... 

Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In general dirtybird is quite correct. In the first place, most modelers do not have the proper equipment to measure peak currents as they usually last for only milliseconds (impossible to measure with a common volt/ammeter) so they do not know what that value is under worst case. This is very important, especially if flying with 2.4GH as, if the voltage can momentarily drop (for just a few microseconds) you can get a loss of signal at the receiver. That means that you have to have a power source (battery) that has a low enough internal impedance to not drop its terminal voltage momentarily due to internal voltage drop. In short, the prime requites for a battery is capacity to provide the peak currents without internal voltage drops.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:12 AM
mattnew

I appreciate the comments, I'm not sure they are getting me to where I need to be though in order to buy/build my battery system.

So for any of you... if you had a futaba R617FS and 8 3004 servos.... what would you use for a battery and why.. how did you decide that that met your needs?

Again, I'm picking Futaba as just an easy/common example...
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 AM
BuschBarber

I appreciate the comments, I'm not sure they are getting me to where I need to be though in order to buy/build my battery system.

So for any of you... if you had a futaba R617FS and 8 3004 servos.... what would you use for a battery and why.. how did you decide that that met your needs?

Again, I'm picking Futaba as just an easy/common example...
I use a 2cell LiFe 2500mah Rx pack for most of my aircraft that have separate Rx batteries. If your servos are 6v compatible, you do not need a voltage regulator.

I have two FMA 10S Lithium chargers. The LiFe packs are lighter than NiMh, they charge much faster, and hold their charge for months. I could Charge and Fly continuously, 24/7, and live at the flying field. The packs do not Self Discharge while sitting on the shelf, so I can Charge and then come back a month later and still fly all day. With NiMh, I had to deal with False Peaking while charging and planning to charge a day in advance before flying.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never used anything over the Futaba receiver packs, and packs that I have assembled from purchased cells. I believe the max capacity I have used is about 900 mAh, BUT, I to run a "Voltwatch"; excersize the servos before flight, and if the Voltwatch drops into the red, I do not fly with that pack.

Les
Old 02-12-2013, 07:34 AM
mattnew

This is what I've always done in the past, including using something similar to the voltwatch...

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

I have never used anything over the Futaba receiver packs, and packs that I have assembled from purchased cells. I believe the max capacity I have used is about 900 mAh, BUT, I to run a "Voltwatch"; excersize the servos before flight, and if the Voltwatch drops into the red, I do not fly with that pack.

Les
Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 AM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't want to take this off subject and don't want to start something but.....

Be very careful in how much trust you put in a voltwatch type device.

If while you move your servos around is it fast enough to catch a 50mSec voltage dip? And even if it is, can your eyes catch it that fast.?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:15 AM
mattnew

Nope, thats fair, and with today's digital electronics even more important since a dip can cause a reboot

I'm an engineer by profession... I like to understand the system I'm building.. hence the questions. Sure I can go get dual 2500mah LiFe battery packs and put them in my .90 sized plane and be reasonably confident that I'll be well into overkill for powering a receiver and 8 servos.... and its probably not even that big a weight issue either.... but it doesn't contribute to understanding the system I've built and/or knowing its limitations.

ORIGINAL: modeltronics

I don't want to take this off subject and don't want to start something but.....

If while you move your servos around is it fast enough to catch a 50mSec voltage dip? And even if it is, can your eyes catch it that fast.?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:18 AM
mattnew

My 2nd thought here is if your worried about a 50msec voltage dip, or seeing voltage droop..your probably operating without enough battery for the application. Ideally the battery application that you have has enough margin built in so that a larger than normal load on the battery doesn't cause a votlage dip.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:05 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would run a single LiFe at 1800-2000 Mah range for all day flying. as i dont know your set up and flying style.

I always run smaller batteries than most would but I monitor them all the time.
Measuring what your servos pull on the ground is meaningless same as how much thrust your engine makes on the ground. Its in the air that mattters.

Here are some sample planes and draw on them per flight

WM T-34 set up for the racing class. it has 5 Hitec HV digital standard servos. I run a 2cell 1300 Mah LiPo in it. I use around 80-90 Mah per 10 minute flight. I will recharge after 4 flights.

14 lb Laser 200 with 92" wing DLE55 3D plane. I run 2 HS7940's, one HS7945 and one HS7950 on flight controls and one Hitec Digital standard HV on throttle. I have two 1600 Mah LiPo's and I use 600 Mah per flight. Also the ignition is also run off these batteries thru the receiver with a opto switch. I recharge every 3rd flight

GP spite fire with HS-85 digital servos on flight controls and a HS65 HB on throttle wit ha OS 30 FS on it. 3lbs flying weight. I run a HP 800 Mah LiFe in it and pull about 40 mah every flight with it. I recharge every flying day as I can fly all day on it.

WM 46 size mustang with Digital standard servos and a Saito 125 and a Hitec retract servo I ran the HP 800 or a Hobbico 1100 Mah LiFe. every flight pulled around 150 Mah. Recharged every 4th flight

GP revolver 46 with OS 120AX 145 MPH plane. Servos were Hitec digital standard on ailerons and rudder and HS7985 on elevator and HS-65 HB on throttle. I ran a 1100 Mah LiFe and it pulled around 170-180 Mah per flight.

On all control surfaces they need to be very free to move or your causing undue load on the servos and will not center correctly. The control surface needs to drop under its on weight or you have a bind somewhere unless mass balanced.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: airraptor

I would run a single LiFe at 1800-2000 Mah range for all day flying. as i dont know your set up and flying style.

Measuring what your servos pull on the ground is meaningless same as how much thrust your engine makes on the ground. Its in the air that mattters.

WM T-34 set up for the racing class. it has 5 Hitec HV digital standard servos. I run a 2cell 1300 Mah LiPo in it. I use around 80-90 Mah per 10 minute flight. I will recharge after 4 flights.

14 lb Laser 200 with 92'' wing DLE55 3D plane. I run 2 HS7940's, one HS7945 and one HS7950 on flight controls and one Hitec Digital standard HV on throttle. I have two 1600 Mah LiPo's and I use 600 Mah per flight. Also the ignition is also run off these batteries thru the receiver with a opto switch. I recharge every 3rd flight

GP spite fire with HS-85 digital servos on flight controls and a HS65 HB on throttle wit ha OS 30 FS on it. 3lbs flying weight. I run a HP 800 Mah LiFe in it and pull about 40 mah every flight with it. I recharge every flying day as I can fly all day on it.

WM 46 size mustang with Digital standard servos and a Saito 125 and a Hitec retract servo I ran the HP 800 or a Hobbico 1100 Mah LiFe. every flight pulled around 150 Mah. Recharged every 4th flight

GP revolver 46 with OS 120AX 145 MPH plane. Servos were Hitec digital standard on ailerons and rudder and HS7985 on elevator and HS-65 HB on throttle. I ran a 1100 Mah LiFe and it pulled around 170-180 Mah per flight.

On all control surfaces they need to be very free to move or your causing undue load on the servos and will not center correctly. The control surface needs to drop under its on weight or you have a bind somewhere unless mass balanced.
If you are measuring the Current Draw of an individual servo and momentarily stress the control surface, you can get a good idea of how much Current the servo is drawing in a Worst Case Scenario. Check all your servos that way, add up the numbers, and use an Rx battery that has more than adequate Capacity. The results are valid.

Using a radio with Telemetry will give you In Flight information.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 PM
mattnew

good info.. thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM
john josey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In practice i've never had a set-up that used more than 300mah per flight. Any 2-2.5amp battery should allow a good day's flying, obviously checking before each flight should show up any issues.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM
gene737

I wondered the same thing as far as battery usage per flight. When I switched over to 2 cell Life batteries, I monitored all my planes for the first 5 flights by recharging after each flight and getting an average usage per flight. This turned out to be about 75 ma. per flight for my 40 and 60 size planes, each with medium torque servos. I fly each one an average of 10 minutes per flight. This meant to me I had an ample reserve to fly 5 or 6 times without depleting the battery below what I feel is a safe limit.

This was the first time I was able to accurately determine usage per flight due to the fact my old Nimh packs were so prone to self discharge that determining usage was impossible. This is my first experience with Life batteries and I can't believe how well they hold a charge. Even after sitting unused for 2 weeks, they only take about 10 ma. to top them off.

I recommend them to all the guys in our club and several have switched over and are also having the same results.

Hope this helps in your decision.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have found that the Voltwatch (and some of the clones of it) do a very good job of catching that very short dip in voltage, almost as good as a scope. What happens is that it detects the dip and actually stretches out the time the LED's light up. IMHO it is a much better indicator of problems than a loaded voltmeter as it also responds to any drops that occur in the wiring such as a bad switch or partially damaged wire as well as showing up any servo problem such as binding of pushrods, hinges etc. that cause excessive current draw. I find the Voltwatch to be the most reliable and dependable way to keep a constant check on your battery as it is always there: no fishing around in the tool box or kit to hook up another instrument. This allows a check at the end of every flight with no added effort.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:47 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Nope, thats fair, and with today's digital electronics even more important since a dip can cause a reboot

I'm an engineer by profession... I like to understand the system I'm building.. hence the questions. Sure I can go get dual 2500mah LiFe battery packs and put them in my .90 sized plane and be reasonably confident that I'll be well into overkill for powering a receiver and 8 servos.... and its probably not even that big a weight issue either.... but it doesn't contribute to understanding the system I've built and/or knowing its limitations.

If are an engineer I can tell you how to calculate it.
Use the quadratic equation. The result is the square root of the sum of the squares of each component.
In other words measure the stall current of each servo, square it and add all of the squares from all servos together. Then take the square root of the result.
This will give you the three sigma value or 97% of the time your current draw will be less than your calculated value. If you want that last 3% just add all of the currents together. I can guarantee that will be overkill though. Your servos are never going to be all stalled at the same time.
Its a lot easier to just fly it and measure it.
BTW the receivers sold by XPS have a light that gets set if the receiver reboots. Its cheaper than an oscilloscope.
If you like I can design a circuit for you that will detect a momentary loss of voltage and turn a light on. I am surprised nobody sells one.
I should add how to calculate your lowest voltage point. Just get the internal resistance of your battery from its specification. Then multiply that times your calculated current and subtract the result from the lowest useful voltage your battery will have. You get the lowest useful voltage from the chart usually contained in the specifications. This is the lowest voltage your receiver will see if you keep the battery sufficiently charged.

Take a look at this

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/pr...hp?prod=XPS-TT
Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 PM
airraptor

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

14 lb Laser 200 with 92'' wing DLE55 3D plane. I run 2 HS7940's, one HS7945 and one HS7950 on flight controls and one Hitec Digital standard HV on throttle. I have two 1600 Mah LiPo's and I use 600 Mah per flight. Also the ignition is also run off these batteries thru the receiver with a opto switch. I recharge every 3rd flight

If you are measuring the Current Draw of an individual servo and momentarily stress the control surface, you can get a good idea of how much Current the servo is drawing in a Worst Case Scenario. Check all your servos that way, add up the numbers, and use an Rx battery that has more than adequate Capacity. The results are valid.

keep doign that you will be just fine.....NOT lol Momentarily stress the control surface.. boy that is accurate so some servos have a stalled drain of 4-4.5 amps. so 4 servos stalled is 16-18 amps. so your thinking should have what size battery? it works for you but may not work for everyone else.

All charge and discharge your battery several times. this way you know its performance. fly the airplane 1-2 times and recharge. see how much was put back in. then fly for 3-5 times if can and then recharge. see how your using each flight. now use a battery that lets you fly as much as you want for the day or before your next charge that is double your useage. Simple huh
Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 PM
BuschBarber

keep doign that you will be just fine.....NOT lol Momentarily stress the control surface.. boy that is accurate so some servos have a stalled drain of 4-4.5 amps. so 4 servos stalled is 16-18 amps. so your thinking should have what size battery? it works for you but may not work for everyone else.

All charge and discharge your battery several times. this way you know its performance. fly the airplane 1-2 times and recharge. see how much was put back in. then fly for 3-5 times if can and then recharge. see how your using each flight. now use a battery that lets you fly as much as you want for the day or before your next charge that is double your useage. Simple huh
All 2.4 radios are susceptible to sudden voltage drops which can be caused by servos drawing more current than the batteries can handle. While the batteries may seem to be adequate under normal circumstances, there are situations where servos get jammed by stuck control surfaces, binding linkages, etc.. You need to stress the servos on the ground to estimate the worst case scenario so you can install batteries that have the Capacity to avoid these voltage drops.

Cycling NiCad and NiMh batteries was necessary to ensure that they were providing their rated capacity and in good condition. Unless you know what kind of a current draw will cause the voltage drop, you don't know what capacity batteries you need. It is also recommended to use at least 6v Rx packs rather than 4.8v and use a voltage regulator, if you have servos that are only compatible with 5v.

Lithium Rx batteries do not need to be cycled like NiCad and NiMh packs. Chargers, like the FMA 10S, will inform you as to how your batteries are performing and how each cell is performing within a pack.

The capacity you choose for your Rx batteries should be determined by how many servos you plan to use, analog or digital, speed and torque necessary, and your style of flying.

A wise pilot is going to measure the amount of current each servo may draw and that of the entire system.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 PM
airraptor

All 2.4 radios are susceptible to sudden voltage drops which can be caused by servos drawing more current than the batteries can handle. While the batteries may seem to be adequate under normal circumstances, there are situations where servos get jammed by stuck control surfaces, binding linkages, etc.. You need to stress the servos on the ground to estimate the worst case scenario so you can install batteries that have the Capacity to avoid these voltage drops.

Cycling NiCad and NiMh batteries was necessary to ensure that they were providing their rated capacity and in good condition. Unless you know what kind of a current draw will cause the voltage drop, you don't know what capacity batteries you need. It is also recommended to use at least 6v Rx packs rather than 4.8v and use a voltage regulator, if you have servos that are only compatible with 5v.

Lithium Rx batteries do not need to be cycled like NiCad and NiMh packs. Chargers, like the FMA 10S, will inform you as to how your batteries are performing and how each cell is performing within a pack.

The capacity you choose for your Rx batteries should be determined by how many servos you plan to use, analog or digital, speed and torque necessary, and your style of flying.

A wise pilot is going to measure the amount of current each servo may draw and that of the entire system.
dude read what I said and not what you think I said. I didnt say you had to cycle them. I said to cycle them so you will know how they perform. I have been in this hobby since the 70's and I have seen batteries that are bad from the get go. I have seen it all.

A wise pilot huh... see your assuming that you are a wise pilot and saying that I am not. A wise pilot will get to know his equipment and know the proper operation of all his equipment not matter the method used to get there. each person has their own way of doing things. I know some guys that will pull all his servos apart clean and debur all the gears clean and resolder all components in the servo before use. again we all do it different. Just dont promote your way as the best and only way as you may mislead someone in to doing something wrong or carry to much battery. Oh and by the way I fly JR/Spektrum so I know all about its requirements.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:42 AM
BuschBarber

dude read what I said and not what you think I said. I didnt say you had to cycle them. I said to cycle them so you will know how they perform. I have been in this hobby since the 70's and I have seen batteries that are bad from the get go. I have seen it all.

A wise pilot huh... see your assuming that you are a wise pilot and saying that I am not. A wise pilot will get to know his equipment and know the proper operation of all his equipment not matter the method used to get there. each person has their own way of doing things. I know some guys that will pull all his servos apart clean and debur all the gears clean and resolder all components in the servo before use. again we all do it different. Just dont promote your way as the best and only way as you may mislead someone in to doing something wrong or carry to much battery. Oh and by the way I fly JR/Spektrum so I know all about its requirements.
I have been building and flying model aircraft since 1956 and RC since the 70's. You are the one who came across as mocking my suggestion that the Current Draw of each servo should be measured. If you want to be sarcastic, you will get it back ten fold. Just say you disagree and leave the attitude somewhere else.

( keep doign that you will be just fine.....NOT lol Momentarily stress the control surface.. boy that is accurate so some servos have a stalled drain of 4-4.5 amps. so 4 servos stalled is 16-18 amps. so your thinking should have what size battery? it works for you but may not work for everyone else.)

I was explaining how to determine what Capacity batteries were needed for a particular setup. I have been safely using 2500mah Rx packs for years, in Jets and Giant Scale gassers, and never suffered a Brownout with one of my setups. Testing the batteries to see that they hold their rated Capacity is of course important, but it does not address the issue of what Capacity is necessary to avoid a voltage drop that can reboot a 2.4 receiver. The internal condition of each servo can contribute to how much Current the servo draws as well as the stress on each control surface and the linkages.

If your system is drawing more Current than your Rx packs can provide, you are bound to get a voltage drop that reboots your Rx, no matter what condition your Rx packs are in. Estimating what the maximum demands your system is putting on your Rx packs should be the first step in determining what Capacity batteries will meet your needs.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 AM
mattnew

but I have 2 oscilloscopes and nothing to use them on! :-) Although I doubt my plane would fly very well with one of those attached though..... hmmm

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

If are an engineer I can tell you how to calculate it.
Use the quadratic equation. The result is the square root of the sum of the squares of each component.
In other words measure the stall current of each servo, square it and add all of the squares from all servos together. Then take the square root of the result.
This will give you the three sigma value or 97% of the time your current draw will be less than your calculated value. If you want that last 3% just add all of the currents together. I can guarantee that will be overkill though. Your servos are never going to be all stalled at the same time.
Its a lot easier to just fly it and measure it.
BTW the receivers sold by XPS have a light that gets set if the receiver reboots. Its cheaper than an oscilloscope.
If you like I can design a circuit for you that will detect a momentary loss of voltage and turn a light on. I am surprised nobody sells one.
I should add how to calculate your lowest voltage point. Just get the internal resistance of your battery from its specification. Then multiply that times your calculated current and subtract the result from the lowest useful voltage your battery will have. You get the lowest useful voltage from the chart usually contained in the specifications. This is the lowest voltage your receiver will see if you keep the battery sufficiently charged.

Take a look at this

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/pr...hp?prod=XPS-TT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.