Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Fly Helis with 9CAP ?

Old 07-27-2003, 06:00 AM
johnhardy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly Helis with 9CAP ?

Im new to helis and Im thinking I might try one day. My understanding is that a helis thro stick is smooth, not ratcheted.
Seems to me that flying fixed wing without the ratcheted throttle wouldnt be that awful, in fact I might like it.
The only other difference I can see between the 9CHP and my 9CAP is that Ive heard the switches are placed differently.
Whats the deal, is there anyway that I'll be able to use my 9CAP to fly heli's one day ? Or, should I just plan to buy another radio ?

Thanks,
John
Old 07-27-2003, 11:15 AM
hroachen

Default Fly Helis with 9CAP ?

Other than a few switches on top being located differently and the throttle ratchet, the 9CAP is identical to the 9CAF in every way. It's easy to remove the throttle ratchet, and the switch placement is no big issue unless you're already accustomed to a certain way.

No need to buy another radio for helis.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Ironrod

Default RE: Fly Helis with 9CAP ?

I just took my 9CAP apart and removed the rachet. However, I noticed the throttle stick seems a little loose. I couldn't see a way to tighten it up. Any ideas?
Old 09-16-2003, 10:10 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

The heli version too has a "ratchet", so to speak, in the TX. Unlike the airplane version, whose ratchet has an indent on it to catch the teeth on the gimble assembly, the heli version is smooth and only presses on the teeth to provide some resistance to movement of the stick. If you remove the ratchet in the airplane TX, you'll have to replace it with a smooth one, otherwise the stick will feel loose.

The ratcheted action in the airplane TX is mostly there to prevent movement in the throttle channel when you move the stick side to side.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:17 AM
wyflyer
My Feedback: (7)

All you have to do to make the stick smooth is slip a piece of fuel tubing over the little piece of metal that engages the ratchet. It makes the stick smooth but it doesn't let the stick flop around.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:39 AM
Ironrod

Cool. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Now I can fly my buddies heli once he gets his radio and a buddy cord. Thanks for the tip.