Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo Mount Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:11 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Servo Mount Clearance

How much clearance do you allow between your servo body and its mounting structure? I'm dealing with 50cc 20 pound planes. Is 1/16 of an inch too much in the push/pull direction or would 1/32 of an inch be about right. I don’t want the servo to hit its mounting structure when the pushrod is under force during flight. Dan.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:18 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servo Mount Clearance

ORIGINAL: All Day Dan
How much clearance do you allow between your servo body and its mounting structure?
I'm dealing with 50cc 20 pound planes. Is 1/16 of an inch too much in the push/pull direction or would 1/32 of an inch be about right.
I don’t want the servo to hit its mounting structure when the pushrod is under force during flight. Dan.
1/32 all round is reasonable, refer:
<dl> <dt>. Servo - Installation - Correct Mounting & Tips for longer life. </dt> <dt>. Servo - Installation - Numerous methods to fit servos into fuse & wings..

Much more information available under sub sections
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures"
"Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs, Convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ."
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
</dt></dl>

Old 03-02-2013, 05:11 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: All Day Dan

How much clearance do you allow between your servo body and its mounting structure? I'm dealing with 50cc 20 pound planes. Is 1/16 of an inch too much in the push/pull direction or would 1/32 of an inch be about right. I don’t want the servo to hit its mounting structure when the pushrod is under force during flight. Dan.
I have flown gas aircraft for years. Sometimes I have used Servo Trays from the same manufacturer as the servo, but most of the time I have just used Servo Rails at the Front and Back of the servo. They are usually Hardwood or Plywood rails. The servo is secured with #2 Socket Head wood or sheet metal screws. The servos are always mounted parallel to the Fuse side and not sideways. Very often, there is no structure on either side of the servo, just the rails on Front and Back. This includes Rudder servos with Pull-Pull systems. I have never had a servo break free or rock.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:23 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the inputs Rich and Alan. Maybe some more good ideas will show up. Dan.