Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Crystal swapping

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 01:26 AM
zxcv11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crystal swapping

I have a useless old Futaba Conquest FP-T4NL 4Ch. Tx with a useless FP-R4F 4Ch Reciever. Is is OK for me to re-use the Tx/Rx crystals (72MHz-Ch34-72.470MHz.)??
Old 09-18-2003, 03:00 PM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Crystal swapping

zxcv11

The crystals might work with the newer Futaba AM radio, but unless the TX and RX are tuned to the same channel, it would not be safe to use. Anyway, the new radio will come with crystals.

George
Old 09-19-2003, 01:38 AM
geish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very new to this hobby, and I was just wondering what crystals are? What do they do? It seems like they change the channel your Tx uses? Do I need to replace mine every so often? Tell me all you can please and educate me. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:59 AM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

geish,

Yes the crystal sets the channel frequency on the tx and rx. They are made from small, flat pieces of crystal material attached to small wires which serve to suspend the assembly and connect it electrically the the circuit. When energize in the appropriate circuit, they vibrate at a designed frequency and are used for rf frequency control because they are very stable. Unless you drop your transmitter, you probably will never need to change it's crystal. If you crash your plane, you can damage the crystal as they are robust but can be damaged if subjected to extreme g-forces from a crash.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50378.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	62231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24050.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	62232