Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How many channels really?

Old 09-18-2003, 12:48 PM
rms59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many channels really?

Hi,
How many channels do you really need to fly an electric heli. I just bought a Corona 120 (fixed pitch) and maybe someday will work up to one with collective.
I'm never going to go gas, so what would be the minimum channel requirement.
I don't want to buy 8 channels if I don't need them. God, this stuff is more expensive than Golf.
Thanks.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:20 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: How many channels really?

Any heli with cyclic, collective and rotor with typically require a minimum of 5 channels. Ditch the collective (fixed pitch heli) and you only need 4. Add governers, mixture, gain on gyro, the 5 becomes 8 channels required. It all really depends on which heli and what features. I personally like collective, radio settable gyro gain and governors, so I need 8 channels. Most however can probably get away with a standard 5 channel heli setup. Hope this helps.

As for golf, it all depends. If I travel with my RC stuff to some cool destination, most clubs will let me fly for free or maybe a small $5 donation. Green fess on the other hand at some cool destination may be $500.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:44 AM
rms59

I didn't think I was ever going to get a reply. Thanks very much.
Now that you explained it, I think I will buy a six channel. That should be enough for what I want to do.
Thanks again.
Dick
Old 09-19-2003, 04:12 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dick, the only draw back to the 6 ch radios are that you don't get the same number of set points to set your pitch curves. All that means is that you can't fine tune the pitch as easy, but it will work fine with the 6 ch. There are a lot of good ones on the market. Futaba makes a good 6 ch, but as I said, each curve only has 3 set points for curves. Check with Airtronics and JR too. I hear the Airtronics 6000 is a good radio. I don't like them that much so I don't use them but others really like them. You will be fine with the 6.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:21 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Flyboy is right, the only 6-channel radio that I know of with 5-point pitch/throttle curves is the RD6000. It's a great radio! Feature-wise it has JR and Futaba beat.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:30 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

You might consider a used 8U instead, giving your more flexibility at a very reasonable price range. It is a GREAT radio, but lots of people have replaced them with the newer 9C....