Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec coreless or hitec digital?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Luke 3D returns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec coreless or hitec digital?

Hi Guys,
I have recently been wondering about which servos to go for in the future. Currently i am very pleased with the coreless Hitec HS-945mg BUT i am wondering if it will make any difference or benefits going for an HS-5625 or HS-5945.As they arent that much more, and my future planes are going to be class machines(eurosport,capiche 140),is it worth the extra money going digital?
Thanks for your help!
Luke
Old 09-18-2003, 02:01 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Hitec coreless or hitec digital?

Luke..

The HS5625 is a digital servo with a cored motor. The HS-5945 is a digital with a coreless motor. To make it simple the HS56xx series is cored and the HS59xx series is coreless.

Both series are excellent servos and digital has certain advantages over a standard servo. You will have to check the specs on each one in order to determine which is best for your plane project. In my humble opinion I would say the HS56xx series is fine on planes 1.20 and a span of 78". The HS59xx series are great for any plane of 80" span or better up to 40% scale (depending on which of the two (xx) series you pick). Others will have a different opinion.

Also the 2 numbers after the 56 or 59 (xx) will indicate which servo has a faster speed or more torque. The HS5945's are rated for more torque so a lot of guys/gals use them on their 33%, 35% & 40% planes.

Another benefit of the HiTec HS56xx and HS59xx series is that they can be programmed. You can set the dead band, speed, fail safe, end points and even change the direction in which the servo travels (CW or CCW). You'll need the HiTec Model HFP-10 programmer to do it though.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:56 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Which, BTW, is $150. The programmer that is. But check with one of the giant-scale guys at your club. He may have one you can borrow.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:22 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In more simpler terms, a digital servo, regardless of the moter, typically has a smoother control curve because it steps at 1us instead of the standard 8us you get with an analog servo.

This results is more precision for the digital servo and should be the reason you move up to one.

On the other hand, analog servos with coreless motors are inherently more precise and have more torgue than 5-pole or 3-pole motors.

If your looking for precision and high torque but don't need to match servos to the same control surface, you don't need digitals. If matching servos to the same surface is your primary purpose go with the digital servo.

If you want the best of both worlds, maximum precision and maximum torgue, go with the coreless digital.

If you want maximum wear (metal gear slops over time) with your other maximums check out the new Hitec Karbonite-geared digital coreless servo, the HS-5975, at $81.95/ea. Why would anyone choose an alternative at 40% more cost?
Old 09-30-2003, 11:43 AM
rcpilotjae-RCU

hilleyja:

I'm hoping that HiTec will make these new karbonite gears as replacements for the 56xx & 59xx series. It would be nice to just buy the gear sets and drop them in yourself for a reasonable priced upgrade. As you pointed out it would be much better than the metal ones they have now and far better than nylon. Have you tried the new 5975 yet with these gears? If so, how do you like them?
Old 09-30-2003, 12:37 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

There will be more Karbonite servos in the near future, but a drop in replacement set is not possible for existing metal geared servos. Sorry!

Mike.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:04 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU

Mike:

Thanks, nice to see you drop in. Is this because of design or something else that a drop in replacement is not possible? Also will the Karbonite be offered on (say maybe) a future version of the 56xx and 59xx series? Sort of like a choice, buy them with metal gears or buy them with Karbonite gears. Or (maybe) a completely new series of high performance digitals with the new Karbonite gears sets?
Old 09-30-2003, 09:46 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also will the Karbonite be offered on (say maybe) a future version of the 56xx and 59xx series?
They have been available for around six months now I believe... HS-5475 and HS-5975HB's. There are also some other offerings that parallel the 600 series servos.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:47 AM
rcpilotjae-RCU

Michael:

I know about the 5975's, I'm speaking of the 5625 & 5645's and the 5925 & 5945's having the Karbonite gears in the future. Like a choice of buying the 5925 & 5945's in either metal gears or the new karbonite gears. As far as I know these are not offered with Karbonite (yet), just the new one (the 5975). Thanks for the reply though.