Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
LOW is UP(rearward) and HIGH is DOWN (forward)
14.89%
HIGH is UP (rearward) and LOW is DOWN(forward)
85.11%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Switch Position For HIGH & LOW Rates

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Switch Position For HIGH & LOW Rates

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find much on it . I'm sure it's mostly based on personal preference as I can't find anything written on it.
How do YOU set your Dual Rate Switches for High and Low rates?
I was told that Low rates should be on when the switch is up or rearward (depending where the switch is located) and High rates should be on when the switch is down or forward. Some users calim the opposite and some flight sims have the transmitters set up with Low is down or forward and High is up or rearward.
What say you ?

Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 AM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Switch Position For HIGH & LOW Rates

It is 100% personal preference.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:07 AM
flyinwalenda

I suppose. Folks apply logic to the decision as well. I've heard some compare the switches to those is full scale craft, others say "well Up is High and Down is Low" and some transmitters have binary "0" for Up and "1" for Down printed on the face .
For me , an engineer, the binary notation says Zero is off or Low and One is On or High. Spektrum on the other hand says Zero is High and One is Low.
After doing this for so long it seems to me this would be standardized as when you go to fly someone elses plane you have to check(among other things) how they have D/R set-up.
Not an earth stopping issue ,,,,but still.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:16 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Whatever makes you happy. Up, or down, or all tied to one switch or all on their own switches, do whatever makes you comfortable.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 PM
wkevinm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's whatever feels best for you.

I personally push the switches (both A&B switches up, or away from me). A&B switches are above the throttle, mode 2. I find that I can locate them easier that way. I race pylon so go full throttle all the time so as the plane leaves the ground and I am able to take my left hand off the rudder I then push A and B swithches to low rates. A= Aileron rates, B = elevator rates with my left thumb. This occurs about 1/4 the way towards number one and about 6 feet off the ground the plane is at about 1/2 speed and does not need all of the controls. On landing (deadstick) I may or may not go back to high rates, depends on the plane.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:58 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always preferred Up for High and Down for Low. The important thing is that you use the same convention for all Model Memories.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

For me , an engineer, the binary notation says Zero is off or Low and One is On or High. Spektrum on the other hand says Zero is High and One is Low.
Maybe you're looking at binary Zero and One in the wrong context.

Zero is dual rates OFF. Dual rates turned off is the same as high rates.

One is dual rates ON. Dual rates turned on is the same as low rates.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:16 AM
flyinwalenda

Well no, "0" is Off and "1" is On in the binary computer world. Also my comparison is again related to the logic level binary definition where "1" is High state and "0" is Low state. That is the way binary has always been defined. That's what I've worked with so for me it's "logical" that I set-up my transmitters as "0" (up) is Low and "1" (down) is High.
Seems the "engineers" writing the code for some of these transmitters would have followed that "logic".
But again it boils down to whatever floats your boat I guess.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:33 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well no, ''0'' is Off and ''1'' is On in the binary computer world. Also my comparison is again related to the logic level binary definition where ''1'' is High state and ''0'' is Low state. That is the way binary has always been defined. That's what I've worked with so for me it's ''logical'' that I set-up my transmitters as ''0'' (up) is Low and ''1'' (down) is High.
Seems the ''engineers'' writing the code for some of these transmitters would have followed that ''logic''.
But again it boils down to whatever floats your boat I guess.
Up-High
Down-Low

You can feel Up and Down, but you cannot feel 0 and 1.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Dave McDonald

In binary, I consider 0 to be OFF and 1 to be ON.

In the end the label on the switch is irrelavent.

The high and low rates can be assigned according to personal preference, which is all that matters.

(high = up, low = down)
Old 04-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do YOU set your Dual Rate Switches for High and Low rates?
I was told that Low rates should be on when the switch is up or rearward (depending where the switch is located) and High rates should be on when the switch is down or forward. Some users calim the opposite and some flight sims have the transmitters set up with Low is down or forward and High is up or rearward.
There is a reasoning to what I do. I program my radios so ALL the switches are UP (or away from me) at take-off or landing time (except flaps). I activate the switches during the flight for the different conditions. Then they all return to Up for landing. I just happen to prefer to fly with NO dual rates or 100% throw all or most of the time. So my dual rates are 100% at the UP position.

Rafael
Old 04-16-2013, 02:17 PM
flyinwalenda

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

In binary, I consider 0 to be OFF and 1 to be ON.

In the end the label on the switch is irrelavent.

The high and low rates can be assigned according to personal preference, which is all that matters.

(high = up, low = down)
What you described earlier would make sense if that's what the designers of radios were thinking. When dual rates are off ("0"/switch up) it is normal and set for highest throws and when dual rates are on ("1"/ switch down) lowest throws are enabled.
I just can't find it defined that way by any of the radio manufactures.
No big deal , it was just a curious question to find out what others thoughts were. .

Old 04-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Dave McDonald

My main radio is a 12FG, which has triple rates.

With triple rates, the binary correlation goes out the window.

Instead it becomes a matter of setting the throws for each of the three switch positions according to personal preferences.

For rate switches mounted on the front of the transmitter, I prefer
High=Up
Med=Mid
Low=Down

For rate switches mounted on top of the transmitter, I consider UP to be towards the front since the transmitter is laying nearly horizontal during normal flight. Therefore for rate switches mounted on top of the transmitter, I prefer
High=Up(front)
Med=Mid
Low=Down(back)
Old 04-16-2013, 03:51 PM
flyinwalenda

True !
On my Futaba's I use the 3-position switches for flaps. Up (rearward): flaps off, middle: flaps low position, down(forward): flaps full/high.