Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Antenna Orientation for 2.4 GHz Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Corsair-Fan
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Orientation for 2.4 GHz Receiver

Guys,

I just bought a Radio Link 7-channel, 2.4 GHz transmitter and receiver from Heads Up R/C. This radio looks and works almost identically to the Futaba 6EX series of radios, and the tech at Heads Up told me that he believed that it is a low cost version of the Futaba Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) radio (not FASST).

The receiver has only one antenna coming out of the end, about 2.5 inches long. Half of it is covered in a jacket of some sort. My question is, when I mount the receiver in a model, how should the antenna be oriented? Vertically, like the antenna on the transmitter? Horizontally? Horizontally with the antenna aligned with the centerline of the fuselage? Horizontally with the antenna running perpendicular to the centerline of the fuselage? None of the above?

The manual that came with the radio is not very clear on this point, so any help will be appreciated. (This is my first 2.4 GHz radio).

Bob
Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Rob2160

Default RE: Antenna Orientation for 2.4 GHz Receiver

ORIGINAL: Corsair-Fan

Guys,

I just bought a Radio Link 7-channel, 2.4 GHz transmitter and receiver from Heads Up R/C. This radio looks and works almost identically to the Futaba 6EX series of radios, and the tech at Heads Up told me that he believed that it is a low cost version of the Futaba Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) radio (not FASST).

The receiver has only one antenna coming out of the end, about 2.5 inches long. Half of it is covered in a jacket of some sort. My question is, when I mount the receiver in a model, how should the antenna be oriented? Vertically, like the antenna on the transmitter? Horizontally? Horizontally with the antenna aligned with the centerline of the fuselage? Horizontally with the antenna running perpendicular to the centerline of the fuselage? None of the above?

The manual that came with the radio is not very clear on this point, so any help will be appreciated. (This is my first 2.4 GHz radio).

Bob
What type of aircraft are you flying? With a single receiver antenna the situation you want to avoid is the antenna pointing directly torwards you or away from you.. This will be the worse scenario for reception..

IE.. if aligned horizontally with the centre of the fuselage, the worse case will be when flying directly away or towards you..

Are you flying a plane / glider / Heli?

In a Heli I would orientate it to the rear and upwards 45 degrees..

In a Plane I would orientate it vertically upwards or downwards

In a glider... if you are planning to do high altitude thermalling.. I would orient it facing forwards and down about 30 degrees... Just my opinion and others may have better suggestions..

I always use Futaba Fasst with 2 antenna oreinted 90 degrees to each other, or Spektrum with Satellites so never had to think about a single antenna...

Hope that helps.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Corsair-Fan
My Feedback: (4)

The plane that I'm using this particular receiver in is a Hobby King "Rainbow" pattern model. When flying the aerobatic pattern, the model is almost always flying left and right in front of me. In this case, it seems like a vertical orientation would be the best. The only time that the antenna would be pointing toward the transmitter would be during a rolling maneuver.

Looks like vertical for me...!!!

Thanks,

Bob
Old 04-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Corsair-Fan

The plane that I'm using this particular receiver in is a Hobby King "Rainbow" pattern model. When flying the aerobatic pattern, the model is almost always flying left and right in front of me. In this case, it seems like a vertical orientation would be the best. The only time that the antenna would be pointing toward the transmitter would be during a rolling maneuver.

Looks like vertical for me...!!!

Thanks,

Bob
Sounds good...