Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dual Batterey Pack connection

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 08:57 PM
Combat Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Batterey Pack connection

I am thinking of setting up my plane for dual battery packs. My question can I just plug the second pack into an extra slot on my reciever? I figure both packs would go to a switch harness then plug in. One to the battery and the other to channel 7. Is that ok?

I have also heard that if batteries are wired in parallel or someway that they can charge each other/discharge. What is the setup that you all would recommend.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2003, 09:02 PM
Lynx

Default RE: Dual Batterey Pack connection

The main problem with that kind of setup is you ideally need two very closely matched packs (as close together in the same batch as physically possible) to help prevent the charge/discharge problems you're talking about, it's not hyper critical though the setup you're talking about will work just fine. It's not very fault tollerant though so if that's the reason you want to switch to redundant packs you'll need a more complex setup.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:38 PM
SVFlier

The answer to your first question, is yes, just plug the second battery pack into any available channel on your receiver, through its' own switch/charge jack. This way you don't have to worry about matching battery capacities ( although you do want to have the same number of cells in both packs).
Old 09-20-2003, 01:20 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am thinking of setting up my plane for dual battery packs. My question can I just plug the second pack into an extra slot on my reciever? I figure both packs would go to a switch harness then plug in. One to the battery and the other to channel 7. Is that ok?

I have also heard that if batteries are wired in parallel or someway that they can charge each other/discharge. What is the setup that you all would recommend.
Dual batteries and switches are the most common arrangement I believe you'll realize of today's models. Simple, cost effective, well proven and inexpensive!

There is abolutely NO concern for the batteries charging and or discharging one another under normal circumtances (I have even performed tests with uneven voltage batteries (4.8V vs 6.0V) and the results are insignificant). Like voltage batteries are prefered and suggested. Different capacity battieries present ZERO problems.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:12 AM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Just to further to expand on Michaels comments. I have also performed a cross charge test, and got the same results. In a 20 minute flight, you will never deplete the good battery, assuming that you fly like most everyone else and leave a 2 or 3 flight reserve at your no-fly voltage. There is a cross charge that takes place, but as Michael its insignificant. You would also notice the bad pack when you did your pre/post flight checks, but would not even know you had a problem in the air.

Others have done similar tests, and came up with the same results. It takes hours to deplete the good battery with cross charging. So as long as you do a ESV check before each flight on each battery, you will catch it before it causes you any problems.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:15 AM
Combat Addict

Thanks guys.

1 dumb question, what is this test (ESV) that you all are talking about? Are there other better ways to set it up?
Old 09-21-2003, 02:28 PM
Lynx

Expanded Scale Voltmeter is just a fancy way of saying a volt meter that doesn't have go up in a linear way. Ususually they test the batteries voltage with a load on it, because testing the voltage without a load gives you absolutly no idea how much current the battery can draw before the voltage drops.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Combat Addict

OK just didn't know what an ESV was. I know the term Expanded Scale Voltmeter and how to use one though. No problem there. Thanks guys.