Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

beginner looking for a sugg on what controler to get?

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

beginner looking for a sugg on what controler to get?

Old 09-18-2003, 05:46 PM
dav536
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginner looking for a sugg on what controler to get?

I am just getting started in the hobby, but would like to buy only one controler and not 2 or more as I get further ADDICTED. Does any one have any suggestions, I would like it to have enough channels to do what ever needed( short of flying the monsters I see in the magizines)

Thanks for all the help,
Dave[&:]
Old 09-18-2003, 06:47 PM
rcreiff-disable

Default RE: beginner looking for a sugg on what controler to get?

Best deal around:

Horizon Hobbies (U.S. importer of JR Radios) is offering a promo deal on their computer 8 channel radio - 8103. This is a PCM transmitter with a FM receiver and four digital servos for $379.00! You can't beat this deal. The 8103 used to cost over $500.00 with analog servos. Later on you can buy a JR PCM receiver if you want to go PCM.

This radio can do everything you would ever want to do in RC. The only radio that JR makes that is more capable is their 10X which costs about $1200.00! It will take you a long time in this hobby to exceed the capabilities of the 8103. I just bought mine and it works great.

Good luck.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:54 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

or if you want switch assignability... and an expensive radio...check out the Futaba 9C.

Or if you plan on just being a "sport" flyer. I.E. never flying too advanced models. The HiTec Eclipse will work well. And it features a frequency synth.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:32 PM
dmajchrzak
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good inexpensive radios....

Hitec Eclipse 7 = air, heli, glider, programmable shift, 5 programmable mixes...
Futaba 6E = Good entry level computer radio.

I recommend a computer radio to all my students that think they are ever going to have more than one plane at a time. The two above are excellent and inexpensive.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:19 PM
captainG

I'm on my 3rd radio. I just bought the Futaba 9C. It is awesome! My first radio was a 4 ch starter. My second was a Futaba T6XA 6 ch. I out grew them both. So now I have the Futaba 9C. I won't be needing a radio now for a long time. Wish I would have gotten the 9C the first time. I would have saved some change in the long run. o'well.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:30 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Is the Futaba 6EXA good? Is it PCM or FM? I want a 6ch computer radio under $180.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:43 PM
dav536
My Feedback: (4)

Is the futaba conquest 7ch any good? I think the model # is fp7-nfk. I found one from a local hobby shop and would like to pick it up if it's worth it.

thanks,
dave
Old 09-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Maxime

The 7NFK was a good radio in it's days. But it doensn't have any mixing capabilities, and no model memories... i.e. you can't use it with more than one model at a time without manually adjusting everything.

If you can afford it, I would suggest that you buy one of the above mentionned radios... The Futaba 9C, Jr 8103 ( or the new 9X when it becomes availlable ). You could also get a nice Futaba 8 ( or better yet the Super 8 ) off eBay or the RCU swapshop. These are radios you will most likely never outgrow, unless you ever buy a super-sophisticated turbine jet with all the gizzmos, or if you compete at the higher levels of pattern or IMAC ( even then a 9C or something similar might be enough ).

The lower-end computer radios ( Futaba 6XAS etc... ) are good radios, but they lack some features that you are likely to need if you really become addicted to RC flying ( for example, the ability to use two elevator servos controlled by two different channels, the ability to link a mix to another when triming out a nasty flying aerobat, etc... )

Anyway... Go with what fit in your budget, but in the long run, a slightly more expensive radio now might save you money later by not having to buy another one because a function you need isn't availlabe... ( that's provided of course that you never drop the transmitter [:@] )