Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FRSky 2.4 GHz conversion for JR

Hello everyone. I have been away from the R/C aircraft hobby for a few years and am a bit out of touch with the electronics aspect and need some info. I have 2 JR TX's that I used for years before I got sidelined ( PCM-10 & XP-8103) and need to update/convert them both to 2.4 GHz. I have been hearing about the conversions offered by FRSky and would like some feedback on what those of you who have used them think of the product. How has the product worked out for you, any problems/concerns with quality, dependability, workmanship, loss of aircraft due to failures involving the TX module or RX? Any and all information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input.
    Takeoffs are optional.....Landings are mandatory.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: FRSky 2.4 GHz conversion for JR

ORIGINAL: Mustang Man-RCU

Hello everyone. I have been away from the R/C aircraft hobby for a few years and am a bit out of touch with the electronics aspect and need some info. I have 2 JR TX's that I used for years before I got sidelined ( PCM-10 & XP-8103) and need to update/convert them both to 2.4 GHz. I have been hearing about the conversions offered by FRSky and would like some feedback on what those of you who have used them think of the product. How has the product worked out for you, any problems/concerns with quality, dependability, workmanship, loss of aircraft due to failures involving the TX module or RX? Any and all information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input.
    There is an extensive thread covering the FRSky. I use the Spektrum DM9 module in my XP9303.
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The FrSky system is very good and reliable, here is an older review of the original system which has now been improved a lot with full telemetry:
    http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/reviews.shtml
    The good thing is that it is available directly in the US from Aloft Hobbies:
    http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...ry-system.html
    The plug-in module uses ppm from the Tx so it provide only 8 channels!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I switched my Fut 8UAF 72 MHz system to 2.4 GHz about 2 years ago using a FrSky module and the associated Rx's which are now in all my models including 3 gassers and all systems have worked flawlessly. FrSky makes units for both Futaba and JR modular Tx systems which are also available from Value Hobby.
    When inverted always remember that down is up and visa versa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks very much for the replies and info everyone. I have had nothing put positive comments on the FRSky system so it looks like that is the system I will go with. Again, thanks for taking the time to give your input.

P.S. coriolan, what club do you fly with in the Vancouver area? I know a few of the guys from the lower mainland area as I am a former member and past president of the High Country Flyers club based in Kamloops.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

which pieces are used for the conversion (names off of that page would help me) or pics [8D]
    smooth as silk!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Krazyc-RCU, here is a link that shows the conversion I am looking at for my JR Tx's. This combo comes with receivers.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8fr_ii_rx.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mustang Man-RCU

Krazyc-RCU, here is a link that shows the conversion I am looking at for my JR Tx's. This combo comes with receivers.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8fr_ii_rx.html
    I converted my 8103 with the Frsky DJT module about six months ago. I have never had a radio related issue since. My only comment is on your choice of receiver. I would go for the combo pack with the D8R-II plus receiver. The plus receiver is a telemetry receiver, and even without any of the optional telemetry screens, it will return the signal strength to the transmitter module. If you start to loose signal integrity for any reason, it will start to beep at you. Later if you decide to add telemetry (like I am to my gasser) you are already set.

That said, I have not heard of any complaints about the non-telemetry receivers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My FrSky system is non telemetry capable and was bought before the telemetry capable units were available, and it has been rock solid in it's performance, plus it offers failsafe function on all channels and gives super quick binding.
    When inverted always remember that down is up and visa versa