Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 07:59 AM
b_huck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Problem

I was out crawling with my nephew the other day when his steering servo quit working correctly. It would not turn to the left completely. I picked it up and had him turn and the same thing happened. It was an old stock servo offf of an AX-10, so I figured the servo was just going out. I replaced it with a Tower Pro 945MG (not sure if number is correct). Still didn't work correctly. Sometimes it would turn fully, other times just part of the way. Sometimes it will turn part of the way, re-center, and then turn fully. I then replaced the tower pro with an Airtronics and had the same issues. Can anybody tell me what is going on here?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:29 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servo Problem

ORIGINAL: b_huck I was out crawling with my nephew the other day when his steering servo quit working correctly.
It would not turn to the left completely. I picked it up and had him turn and the same thing happened.
It was an old stock servo offf of an AX-10, so I figured the servo was just going out.
I replaced it with a Tower Pro 945MG (not sure if number is correct). Still didn't work correctly.
Sometimes it would turn fully, other times just part of the way. Sometimes it will turn part of the way, re-center, and then turn fully.
I then replaced the tower pro with an Airtronics and had the same issues. Can anybody tell me what is going on here?
As same problem occurs irrespective of servo:
1. Check the Servo Saver is still working properly, spring maybe broken or spline fitting is incorrect for brand of servo in use.
2. Check linkages are smooth, no bent shafts or binding.
(Greatest cause of steering servo problems is moving the wheels whilst model is on ground and not moving
- try turning wheels on a full size car, not moving, and no power steering.
)
3. Try same setup with a different transmitter, least likely, but may be a dirty pot on the Tx.

Much more information available under sub sections:
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures"
"Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs, Convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ."
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A.T. to the rescue again!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 AM
b_huck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info! It seems it is the radio system. It's only about a year old, kept clean and dry when not in use. Is there any way to fix this?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:26 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: b_huck Thanks for the info! It seems it is the radio system. It's only about a year old, kept clean and dry when not in use. Is there any way to fix this?
. Transmitter - Stick Pot DIY Clean & Lubricate - Video

Much more information available below:
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.